The Pickle

JDK

Reaction score
When informed that they were expecting their first child, my daughter-in-law proclaimed that he was the size of a pickle. Well, thanks to my smart assitude, the nickname stuck. He is 2 now and I made him a lure and he actually caught a perch on it this summer.

Pickle.JPG

Gwlambo

Reaction score
These three were absolute killers all summer long. They look terrible but the work and I'm not one to ask why.

View attachment 23835

View attachment 23836
JDK these are beautiful. We all choose different paths in life but I am super impressed with the different skills people omg these forums have. You are making these form scratch? I would not know where to begin.

JDK

Reaction score
JDK these are beautiful. We all choose different paths in life but I am super impressed with the different skills people omg these forums have. You are making these form scratch? I would not know where to begin.
I don’t make the blank. Just stick some tape, split rings, and hooks on. Those blanks are Peerless Predators

802-603hunter

Reaction score
JDK, if you don’t mind sharing where you buy your supplies my boy would love to build some lures. He spent an hour the other night drawing fish & frogs, coloring them with markers, covering them in tape, and hooking them to the end of an Eagle Claw leader. He can’t wait to try out his new “lures”.

JDK

Reaction score
Don't mind at all. Keep in mind that I am cheap.

Blanks

Peerless Predator. I bought 50 blanks for about $15. The 2 1/2 inch swim better than the larger size and aren't as speed sensitive. While they are my favorite, I would not recommend them if your son was planning to cast as they are a light blank and I bet they would plane.

Walleye Candy- Caught a lot of fish on them but the price has jumped in recent years. I think they are about a $1 per blank now (maybe a little more) for their 0.25 gauge blanks.

Jann's Netcraft and a Lure Parts on Line have blanks also.

Split Rings

Ebay- riverguidesupply. 100 #4s for about $5-$6 with free shipping

Tape

Haven't found a real good price yet but I have used Lure Parts on Line, Jann's Netcraft, and Ebay.

Hooks

I don't skimp and really like VMC round bend hooks. Usually #6 or #4 depending on blank. Whomever has them on sale with the cheapest shipping. FishUSA, Lure Parts, or Ebay.

Big D

Reaction score
That's a good idea especially considering the price of some of these spoons nowadays.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Don't mind at all. Keep in mind that I am cheap.

Blanks

Peerless Predator. I bought 50 blanks for about $15. The 2 1/2 inch swim better than the larger size and aren't as speed sensitive. While they are my favorite, I would not recommend them if your son was planning to cast as they are a light blank and I bet they would plane.

Walleye Candy- Caught a lot of fish on them but the price has jumped in recent years. I think they are about a $1 per blank now (maybe a little more) for their 0.25 gauge blanks.

Jann's Netcraft and a Lure Parts on Line have blanks also.

Split Rings

Ebay- riverguidesupply. 100 #4s for about $5-$6 with free shipping

Tape

Haven't found a real good price yet but I have used Lure Parts on Line, Jann's Netcraft, and Ebay.

Hooks

I don't skimp and really like VMC round bend hooks. Usually #6 or #4 depending on blank. Whomever has them on sale with the cheapest shipping. FishUSA, Lure Parts, or Ebay.
Thanks for the intel JDK. I think I’ll buy a Plano box and some supplies from your sources as a Christmas present for him this year. He’ll love it, and its one less 7 year old getting video games for a present.

Latest posts