The Moon, Bucks and the rut.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I will hopefully get some of your opinions and actual experience's on Buck movement in November. I went through past videos from 2016, 2017 and 2018 and all big buck daylight movement was during a new moon or a waxing or waining moon.
11/23/2016 only one cam out and a big buck following a Doe at 10:30 am

11/18, 25/2017 the 18th was a new moon and the 25th was a waxing not much of a moon. Both pics were of good bucks before noon time

11/10,12,14,18/2018 were all in the waxing crescent moon (Gods thumb nail) on the 10th increasing in size to around 70% on the 18 and bucks were chasing Doe on most cameras every day all before noon.

What say you????

longbow

Reaction score
My last big one, #223 dressed, was shot at 7:15 on November 14th, 2016, full moon. He was moving thru an old cut. I think he was looking for a hot doe because I jumped one up right after I shot him.

2018, on Nov 24th, full moon, I kicked a big buck out of his bed in an old cut at noon time. He was bedding with a bunch of other deer.

Not that these two examples prove anything, just what I have.

I don't know about the moon stuff. Deer can see fine on a dark moonless night, so it doesn't have anything to do with visibility. Are we saying that they can feel the moon or that it somehow gravitates them to move?

I'm feeling it's more about weather, how the does are smelling, and if you are in the right spot at the time. Camera or in person.

I think it is a very interesting subject.

Last edited:

kevin in nh

Reaction score
Hi Mark, I have killed Bucks on opening day of loader season (1st Saturday in November) over the years that were in full rut chasing Doe with scrapes and rubs everywhere. I have hunted a few different states and the rut was never the same year after year. Its going to be good hearing from the guys on here about there experiences.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Got my 2018 buck (not a huge one) on 11/19/18 at 8:45 am on a waxing half moon...
Have to go though my cam pics and reference the date to my solunar table app to see what moon phase it was.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
Got my 2018 buck (not a huge one) on 11/19/18 at 8:45 am on a waxing half moon...
Have to go though my cam pics and reference the date to my solunar table app to see what moon phase it was.
Hi Ron...your better than I am on posting videos......you will be contacted by NJSP (Ret) if you don't!!! Cops......we never believe anything that we cant see for ourselves!!!

longbow

Reaction score
Hi Ron...your better than I am on posting videos......you will be contacted by NJSP (Ret) if you don't!!!
I have a car headed over to his house now:D

I just checked the moon for my trip, Nov 25-30. New moon right in the middle of the trip.

Seems like I am usually there for a full moon, so hope it helps me.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've never paid attention to the moon when I kill a buck. I'll have to start keeping track of it.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I have a car headed over to his house now:D

I just checked the moon for my trip, Nov 25-30. New moon right in the middle of the trip.

Seems like I am usually there for a full moon, so hope it helps me.

New moon, old moon, blue moon....pants down moon:oops:

Good luck in Maine.

Roger-

Fish4life

Reaction score
First time post, long time reader. I used to cover 1000 miles per week all over northern New England and New York for work. Most of the daylight deer that I saw from the road were during the crescent moon waxing phase. I don’t pay much attention to the moon phases, but over the years I would check when I saw deer in daylight. Majority of the time it was crescent waxing.