The Grapevine says that NH is going 100% online deer registrations next year

groundtender

Reaction score
Ohio has a smartphone app that you can buy your licenses and tags. Checking in your kills take a minute. They ask the county of kill, date/time, sex of deer. Number of points. Give you a confirmation number to put on our tags. If you have multiple tags you can keep on hunting if you’ve checked in and tagged your kill.
As I recall Missouri is the same as Ohio. I can see where one person running their gen store with gas station can be a little put out. Unfortunately you know there are still a few scumbags out there that’ll be filling their pockets inside the store while the owner is outside dealing with the deer and the hunter.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Maybe you’re right but, if they needed physical data they could get the information from road kills or a few voluntary check points. The feeling I’m getting is the days of bringing your deer into a check station and having it weighed are going by the wayside.
The place where we’ve weighed our deer has had biologists in the past for a day or two but, the same thing could be accomplished at a few designated locations like they have done for moose in the past. I think if the went to voluntary check points they’d have more than enough people that would want to get their deer weighed or checked for CWD.
A friend went to a long time Gunshop on Friday to get his license in person. He had to pay in cash. The owner was complaining he made a $1 on the sale. Had to invest in a computer, printer, and special paper to make the dollar. The digital licenses that Ohio has are nice. They don’t require a paper license. If checked you can show the game warden on your phone.
The stores do the licenses and deer checks for the extra sales. They will lose a significant amount of sales with this transition. People will go straight home instead of checking their deer, getting a drink, a sub, and some gas, some beers, etc. As with the in person license sales coming to an end. They will lose money there to. Hunters and anglers buying their licenses online will say hey, that was easy, I might as well buy my hunting and fishing supplies online to. The niche online sales can't take is live bait, although there is some of that available online also.

Last edited:

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I briefly looked up the check station numbers. 42 of the 56 have scales. I think those stations having scales would still be an incentive to keep having the weigh ins whether they register the deer for the state or not. People could pay them the $ to get them weighed.
I’m not against the current process. I like going to the check in stations but, I think the writing is on the wall.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I briefly looked up the check station numbers. 42 of the 56 have scales. I think those stations having scales would still be an incentive to keep having the weigh ins whether they register the deer for the state or not. People could pay them the $ to get them weighed.
I’m not against the current process. I like going to the check in stations but, I think the writing is on the wall.
The entire world of buying anything is going online in a fairly brisk pace. The grandchildren of today may see a time where there are no stores, just warehouses to stock the online ordering.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
All online checking here. I miss the old checking stations in some ways also. However, it is nice just shooting a deer and checking it in on your phone, especially when you are shooting quite a few deer per year.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Good idea. I hope they keep the scales at least. Would like to get a big one weighed officially, even for a fee.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
All online checking here. I miss the old checking stations in some ways also. However, it is nice just shooting a deer and checking it in on your phone, especially when you are shooting quite a few deer per year.
Are your licenses digital too?

Flatlander

Reaction score
Ct. has had call in or digital registration for quite a few years. It's o.k. Also you print your tags, you can print as many as you want. In my opinion it makes it to easy to abuse the system.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Ct. has had call in or digital registration for quite a few years. It's o.k. Also you print your tags, you can print as many as you want. In my opinion it makes it to easy to abuse the system.
How?? I think the bad guys are going to break the law regardless. If a guy in CT is supposed to tag his deer and register it and gets caught they have no excuse. If stopped the guy in NH can currently say he’s going to the check in.

Flatlander

Reaction score
The tags are the issue. You kill a deer, fill out a tag. Take the deer home. Don't report the deer. You still have umlimited tags to use.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The tags are the issue. You kill a deer, fill out a tag. Take the deer home. Don't report the deer. You still have umlimited tags to use.
Not foolproof, but it would certainly help to have only one tag issued with the license, that has the license # printed on it. If you are stopped and don't have that 1 state issued tag filled out you are in trouble.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Right . We used to get a permit with attached tags. Once the tags were detached they were void whether you used them or not. Now theres no accounting for tags.
I have a lifetime license so I make my own tags so pardon my ignorance. Currently, for people that purchase and print their licenses online, couldn’t they do the same thing? Print multiple licenses and tags. The outlaws are outlaws. I don’t think the paper tags are stopping them from poaching.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Right . We used to get a permit with attached tags. Once the tags were detached they were void whether you used them or not. Now theres no accounting for tags.
Theoretically NH is still that way for the annual licenses but, multiple copies can be made and printed digitally. The lifetime license holders make their own tags now.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
No system is going to change one's morals or character. A new system will not turn one with a conscience into one without. Whomever one was prior to online check ins, they will continue to be after online check in enaction.

JJM6

Reaction score
My concern would be things like someone shooting a buck and online checking it in using an antlerless tag then shooting a second or third buck. To take it a step further, using an archery tag online for a firearm killed deer keeping an open firearm tag.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
My concern would be things like someone shooting a buck and online checking it in using an antlerless tag then shooting a second or third buck. To take it a step further, using an archery tag online for a firearm killed deer keeping an open firearm tag.
A good percentage of the outlaws are known to wardens. They’d have the right to come and see those deer. Those guys shooting multiple deer are probably doing it now. I don’t hang around guys like that and would report them if I knew they were doing it. I’m hoping those numbers have dropped some since the 1960s and 70s.

Latest posts