The Grapevine says that NH is going 100% online deer registrations next year

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I have no further info than that, since I believe it is unreleased information.
Do you think this is a good or bad idea?

Steve/NH

Reaction score
With the number of check in stations reducing every year I think it's good. Maybe more deer will be registered due to simplicity.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Be fine with me…the guys around here are idiots! 😂

benny8

Reaction score
I believe there are pros and cons to this. Simplicity and convenience would be the pros. I know when I hunt Virginia, they have an app that you bring up when you kill a deer and in about a minutes time, your tag is notched. I also think it can lead to some shenanigan's. Maybe more so than already exists. Things would have to be ironed out for people who have their animals butchered and who want taxidermy completed as a seal is required for both. It will definitely be interesting.

silver belly62

Reaction score
NJ started it here a while back. Wasn't in favor of it at first, but I have to admit it's very easy and convenient

lester2

Reaction score
I like the traditions of in person reporting here in VT. The place closest to me has a buck pool, they take photos and post them on FB, and they post a running list of deer taken. They are also a general store. I know the owners and they are happy to do it for the hunters and the community, despite the sometimes minor inconvenience for them and their employees. They certainly benefit from gas, beer, food and snack sales to both the successful hunters and those stopping in to check the list!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I like the traditions of in person reporting here in VT. The place closest to me has a buck pool, they take photos and post them on FB, and they post a running list of deer taken. They are also a general store. I know the owners and they are happy to do it for the hunters and the community, despite the sometimes minor inconvenience for them and their employees. They certainly benefit from gas, beer, food and snack sales to both the successful hunters and those stopping in to check the list!
[/QUOTE

I'm in the same camp.

NHabrorist

Reaction score
I would agree. I get the convenience of online everything, I'm not in favor of it. I'd be disappointed if deer registration went that route. Opens up a larger avenue of illegal activity and all around dishonesty. My two cents that don't count for much in a digital age.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I would agree. I get the convenience of online everything, I'm not in favor of it. I'd be disappointed if deer registration went that route. Opens up a larger avenue of illegal activity and all around dishonesty. My two cents that don't count for much in a digital age.

I agree with this as well. I enjoy going to the check station and being around like minded people with similar interests. Particularly since there's only 52k of us in a state of 1.2 million. Christ sakes...... we can order groceries, take out from your favorite restaurant and have it delivered by a 3rd party company, order anything you need off Amazon to not leave your home. I miss the days of walking into any brick and mortar store to buy what I wanted and they were competing to sell it to me. I don't need my F&G dept doing the same.

Not only that, but how will they continue to gather biological information? I can't imagine there not being an "official scale" to check in a 200lb buck. Will the program and tradition of the 200lb buck go away? That would be a friggin shame. It would also be a shame if false reports were being sent in and rewarded as often as pro athletes are using counterfeit vaccine cards.😀

Maybe those who are inconvenienced by going to the check station should concentrate of shooting self gutting deer, and self butchered deer too. If they don't like going to the check station, I'm sure the other two must really be a pain in the ass for them. LOL!!!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Well…when you take in your fat little 4 pointer and the guy with the ashtray breath exclaims “this would have been a nice buck NEXT YEAR” virtually belittling your “trophy” and saying “do you want this weighed?” Like it’s an imposition on his “time,” the check station experience is not the “classic” event you guys speak of…I miss the old days too. 😂

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Well…when you take in your fat little 4 pointer and the guy with the ashtray breath exclaims “this would have been a nice buck NEXT YEAR” virtually belittling your “trophy” and saying “do you want this weighed?” Like it’s an imposition on his “time,” the check station experience is not the “classic” event you guys speak of…I miss the old days too. 😂

The ash tray breath gives it away. That place is a shithole. I would've fired back with belittling his inventory he hasn't updated since the summer of 1982. Come over to our neck of the woods. Smith river and Barn store are both great and everyone you run into is like the "old days".

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Bad idea it leaves the door wide open to even more abuse then there is now

Let's be honest about the ability of abuse. Once they went to print at home licenses that was the end of any chance of policing poachers in that extent. I buy the combination license, so I print 4 copies. I sign one, and keep it with me fishing all summer, and in my turkey vest in the spring. If it doesn't get wet, I have the same one all year. BUT if it got wet, I have another ready to go.

I'm sure there are guys doing the same thing, but using the tag to get the deer to the truck, then home. Once home, in the basement it goes, old license in the dump and they're hunting that evening or the next morning. So online check in really isn't going to promote anymore or any less of what's been taking place since they did away with in person purchase at an agent store, or having to physically drive yourself to F&G headquarters for a duplicate license in my opinion.

But I do think it will have an effect on biological studies and the 200lb deer program going forward. A great example of this is when you harvest a bear in NH. A CO checks it out, pulls a tooth, takes the directions to the kill site to visit later that day. At no point , unless you go out of your way, does that bear get weighed and the dept. has zero intel on the average weight of NH bears harvested in what ever year.

Short version........ I don't like it. Take your damn deer to the registration station and be proud of it. We hunt one of the harder areas in the country with a low deer density. If you shoot a spike horn with a droptine and some jackass gives you shit...... tell him to put the tag on and have a hot cup of kiss your ass. 😀

mowbizz

Reaction score
The ash tray breath gives it away. That place is a shithole. I would've fired back with belittling his inventory he hasn't updated since the summer of 1982. Come over to our neck of the woods. Smith river and Barn store are both great and everyone you run into is like the "old days".
I definitely will head your way! The hard part is finding a deer! 🤣

Latest posts