Takes a while to “heat up”

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I feel "safer" with the 8...those bigger ones were really pulling as they got near the boat. Classic runs where the rod tip touches the water and taking out drag.
If they're willing to hit the 8 lb which obviously they are...... I don't blame you. We were probably just a little too concerned with them seeing the line. I wasn't criticizing , if it ain't broke , don't fix it.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
:cool:

Im not giving up up on it quite yet, although my family would prefer at pontoon at this point.
May consider selling next season. It’s a 2017 Crestliner SuperHawk 1850.
Perfect family boat. Mine is a 2005 Crestliner 18 Canadian, side console. I like it, but sometimes would like something a little deeper and with a full windshield when going across the waves.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Perfect family boat. Mine is a 2005 Crestliner 18 Canadian, side console. I like it, but sometimes would like something a little deeper and with a full windshield when going across the waves.
Yep, it’s a good all around boat. Doesn’t fish as well as my old Alaskan, but it’s friggin comfy and moves along well. The girls are getting bigger, they like to swim and tube more than anything now, though they still fish a fair amount. DA999E73-B650-4D84-8FE7-E4CC59AB36C1.jpeg

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yep, it’s a good all around boat. Doesn’t fish as well as my old Alaskan, but it’s friggin comfy and moves along well. The girls are getting bigger, they like to swim and tube more than anything now, though they still fish a fair amount. View attachment 22162
That’s a great pic! Fish ‘em while they’re young!

We had an epic morning this morning...limit of 4 by 6:15 AM! That smallest salmon got maimed by something...I was thinking lamprey eels? I didn’t think there were any of those in Winni...

Attachments

Reaction score
That’s a great pic! Fish ‘em while they’re young!

We had an epic morning this morning...limit of 4 by 6:15 AM! That smallest salmon got maimed by something...I was thinking lamprey eels? I didn’t think there were any of those in Winni...
I never saw any Lake Champlain lamprey hits that look like that. That said, I have no idea what else it could be.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Are your salmon on the young of the year perch? Or are you finding the bigger ones on tandems?

We usually see the big fish on tandems this time of year.

Roger-
Good to see come larger fish landed. Hardware or fly and riggers or lead? Which was more productive? I imagine that your fishing around 35 feet.
Good pontoon boat to fish out of...sort of like a couch. Real comfy...shrimp and cocktails while trolling.

Roger-

Grandkid

Reaction score
Love the photo .... huge smile. She will be taking over for you shortly.:cool:

JDK

Reaction score
Pretty sure that is a bacterial infection.

mowbizz

Reaction score
After discussing it together, my wife (fishing partner) think that salmon may have been dinged by the spinning prop. When trolling 2 rods we don’t stop the motor so the line on the rod still “fishing” doesn’t sink to the bottom.
In the melee of trying to land the fish and the wind pushing the boat off course the fish did dive down below the prop of my outboard.
That’s the latest theory. That, and a friend is sending a picture of it to a F&G biologist for his/her opinion.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Possibly.... looks like Viral hemorrhagic septicemia. not good. Definitely not a wound from a prop. that would look like huge slashes
Possibly. First time Ive seen anything like this. Let’s see what the biologist says...

WetWool

Reaction score
I think JDK is right. We get those occasionally here on Sebago.
Wow Jeremy, MGK sent me a picture the other day of some Sebago togue, I had to look twice to see if they were pickerel!!! Sad state of affairs right now on the big pond!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Any news?
Yes, sorry forgot about this post.
The NH biologist said from the pictures, it was likely NOT that disease.
There are many factors that could cause an injury like that caused by mid-handling released salmon and causing their “Slime” layer to be damaged. Other bacterial infections can be the result.

His exact words:
Not likely VHS or anything sinister, in fact such lesions are somewhat common on early-spring caught LLS, but granted, not as common on prime summer LLS (although have personally observed several such summer specimens over the years). Such lesions are typically common bacterial infections, which can also be followed by secondary fungal infections. Rough handling (scale and slime coat removal), ectoparasites, and spawning (pre-and post) stress and combinations thereof, are all avenues for such infections to take hold.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Wow Jeremy, MGK sent me a picture the other day of some Sebago togue, I had to look twice to see if they were pickerel!!! Sad state of affairs right now on the big pond!
Yeah, it’s pretty weak this year at least for me. It’s been slow, the fish are really small and thin. The few good ones I’ve caught look like they are starving. I’ve spent less time fishing this year too to be honest, so I think I’m trading in the black hawk on a beer drinking pontoon as soon as someone takes mine away. Probably just get a zebco and a few dilly worms and fish for crappie into retirement.

WetWool

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s pretty weak this year at least for me. It’s been slow, the fish are really small and thin. The few good ones I’ve caught look like they are starving. I’ve spent less time fishing this year too to be honest, so I think I’m trading in the black hawk on a beer drinking pontoon as soon as someone takes mine away. Probably just get a zebco and a few dilly worms and fish for crappie into retirement.
Now you are thinking kid.;)