Suggestions on an affordable OU 20

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I think I would like an O/U for next grouse season. I’m not a real serious hunter, but like to walk behind my buddy’s dog occasionally, I sometime just drive roads, but do lots of walking on old roads and love to shoot them on the wing or on a stump. Lol.

Want something cheap, 26 inch barrel, 20 gauge as the ammo is easy and cheap and I have a ton.

Thoughts? Thinking about the savage/Steven’s 555? Want to stay $600-700 or less.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I have a stevens 555 in 28ga. its an OK gun. I have had a couple issues with the safety turning back on after the first barrel fires. Not a huge deal as I only use it to shoot clays recreationally and have better options for hunting and anytime I'd keep score. If I had to do it again I'd probably look at the CZs. A touch more money but seems to be much higher quality.

silver belly62

Reaction score
I have a stevens 555 in 28ga. its an OK gun. I have had a couple issues with the safety turning back on after the first barrel fires. Not a huge deal as I only use it to shoot clays recreationally and have better options for hunting and anytime I'd keep score. If I had to do it again I'd probably look at the CZs. A touch more money but seems to be much higher quality.
I have to agree with him, most of the CZ's I've had are nice guns. Have a 20 ga sxs I'll never part with

JDK

Reaction score
I friend's son has the CZ Drake. I think he paid right around what you are looking at. I used it one day while on a moose hunt with him and shot my limit of birds. I thought it was a decently made plain jane O/U shotgun.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Another note on the Stevens 555. It's a real light gun with an aluminum receiver, carries really nice. With a 20ga its probably not an issue but I have heard complaints that the 12's have a lot of recoil and muzzle jump because of the light weight.

Big D

Reaction score
Another vote for cz. They have a no frills field model that is about in that range. I'd like to find one to see if I like it for next year.

nomadicbohunk

Reaction score
I've researched this out a lot lately because I want a better gun than what I have for grouse and woodcock.

I'm probably going to get a used Beretta. The savages sound perfect, but if you do some reading they have a lot of issues. The CZ guns are fine, but if you go used for the same money, you can get a lot better gun.

With the used Berettas, you do have to be careful because parts aren't available for all of them.

Big D

Reaction score
The CZ I was thinking about is the All Terrain. I haven't been able to shoulder one but it looks nice. Maybe a little out of the price range though.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I got a CZ redhead o/u 20 guage - and have been thrilled with it. It was more than I thought I would spend on a shotgun but have been thoroughly pleased with the carry, functionality, ability to break apart and clean. I have run my 20 gauge single shot H&R and my 12 gauge Remington 870 express for decades. I used to have a moss berg but never cared for it.

arlow

Reaction score
I found the stevens unbalanced. I was looking for the same price range as you a couple years ago. Tried a bunch of entry level guns. The best I found were the CZ and the Mossbergv Silver Reserve II. You want to puck up a gun and then mount it to a spot. Drop it back down and then remount with your eyes closed. A well balanced gun will mount back to the same aiming point. The stevens was very barrel heavy. I bought the Mossberg and have been happy with it. It points nice and that is what matters most.

silver belly62

Reaction score
These Tristars have been interesting me as a turkey option too.
I had a 20 ga SxS, before they stopped making them, that I used for years in SD. Currently I still have a 410 semi-auto that I was using when running hounds rabbit hunting, never had a issue with them. Have never had one of their O/U though

Latest posts