Stolen deer

Tracker

Reaction score
My oldest and youngest son's went to NJ last weekend . The oldest shot a doe by the time they caught up to it , two assholes had her loaded up n gone. The crazy deer was shot and ran 200 yards right to where some trucks were parked and died. They asked another couple of guys if they had seen a deer come threw the area they said two guys just loaded one in the truck and took off.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Public land in NJ is like that. A lot of hunters in some areas. Last one to knock it down gets it, is the usual rule. If it runs that far on public you may loose it. Not saying that taking a deer shot by another is right, just not surprised at all by it. Did they hear any shots or they just took the deer without shooting at all?

kevin in nh

Reaction score
Either way they are assholes knowing someone else had shot it. Years back I was hunting in Wakefield and I heard a rifle shot way off. I was sitting on a good run and it was still early so I had no intention of moving until late morning. About 45 minutes later this 4 pointer comes walking from the direction of the shot I brought my rifle up and he's walking with his head down. He had taken a high gut shot and was definitely hurting. I gave him the mercy shot and finished him. With snow on the ground I had to think someone would be along soon enough. I was tempted to gut it but if I did I would have had to tag it and in my mind it was not my deer I just did what had to done. I waited and waited and was going to tag it and gut it as it was stinking pretty good. The area was good deer territory with a lot of tracks but I was getting impatient so I fired an '06 in the air and minutes later I hear branches snapping now what do I do if its a good buck! It turns out its a 16 year old local kid comes running in jacket wide open and sweating like its 100 degrees. He sees me but not the Deer and yells " I wounded a Buck have you seen him??? He has such a look of panic was almost in tears. I said yup he's right here I hope you don't mind that I finished it off for you but I had to end it. He almost started to cry saying well its your deer you finished it....nope its yours you shot it first and I am happy to help out another hunter. I will never forget the look on his face from almost tears to thanking me over and over. When he finally let go of shaking my hand I said well lets go and gut your buck out. Its my first deer and my uncles said they would help me if I got one. That was my next question as your kind of young to be out hunting by yourself and just then 3 Paul Bunion sized uncles came up his back trail and the day was complete....for him at least as I never saw even a tail that day but it truly was a great day....sorry for hijacking the thread but not everyone is an asshole like your sons ran into

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Either way they are assholes knowing someone else had shot it. Years back I was hunting in Wakefield and I heard a rifle shot way off. I was sitting on a good run and it was still early so I had no intention of moving until late morning. About 45 minutes later this 4 pointer comes walking from the direction of the shot I brought my rifle up and he's walking with his head down. He had taken a high gut shot and was definitely hurting. I gave him the mercy shot and finished him. With snow on the ground I had to think someone would be along soon enough. I was tempted to gut it but if I did I would have had to tag it and in my mind it was not my deer I just did what had to done. I waited and waited and was going to tag it and gut it as it was stinking pretty good. The area was good deer territory with a lot of tracks but I was getting impatient so I fired an '06 in the air and minutes later I hear branches snapping now what do I do if its a good buck! It turns out its a 16 year old local kid comes running in jacket wide open and sweating like its 100 degrees. He sees me but not the Deer and yells " I wounded a Buck have you seen him??? He has such a look of panic was almost in tears. I said yup he's right here I hope you don't mind that I finished it off for you but I had to end it. He almost started to cry saying well its your deer you finished it....nope its yours you shot it first and I am happy to help out another hunter. I will never forget the look on his face from almost tears to thanking me over and over. When he finally let go of shaking my hand I said well lets go and gut your buck out. Its my first deer and my uncles said they would help me if I got one. That was my next question as your kind of young to be out hunting by yourself and just then 3 Paul Bunion sized uncles came up his back trail and the day was complete....for him at least as I never saw even a tail that day but it truly was a great day....sorry for hijacking the thread but not everyone is an asshole like your sons ran into
That's Aawesome.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a buck taken from him this year in NJ as well.

Tracker

Reaction score
Public land in NJ is like that. A lot of hunters in some areas. Last one to knock it down gets it, is the usual rule. If it runs that far on public you may loose it. Not saying that taking a deer shot by another is right, just not surprised at all by it. Did they hear any shots or they just took the deer without shooting at all?
No other shots were fired.
In our crew its always first blood, Best part about it is after it was legally tagged the people could of asked for it and the boys would of give it to them, our freezer is full we have shot 6 deer between 4 of us this year.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
No other shots were fired.
In our crew its always first blood, Best part about it is after it was legally tagged the people could of asked for it and the boys would of give it to them, our freezer is full we have shot 6 deer between 4 of us this year.
That's how we do it in our crew as well.

In the mid 2000's we were hunting the South Rd. in Hopkinton. One of the guys hit a nice 7 point in the neck, but he didn't drop right there. Great blood to start with, but it was slowing down. The deer took us to a cut off that ran next to the class 6 access road. There was 3 of us spread out poking along, all with our heads down. It was beyond obvious to anyone that's ever blood trailed a deer what we were doing. A small blazer comes up the road with two guys in it, they slow down get a look at us and drive down as far as they could to the beaver damn, then come back and park behind my truck. In the mean time I had found blood again, and the deer had crossed the road and was making a loop back to where it was shot. It went into the nastiest, thickest shit hole. I was half way through when I heard a shot out in front of me. We lost blood again, went back to the truck for a sandwich and talked about whether we thought it was the two guys that had come in while were trailing blood, and if they had found and shot Dan's deer. A few minutes later the owner of the blazer is walking down the class 6 rd. to his truck. He stops and asks " Are you guys looking for a wounded 7 pointer?", we tell him yes. He then tells us how he was walking up a trail, and the buck was next to a stone wall and couldn't get up, so he shot it with his pistol. He then shocks the shit out of me when he says " Well I put my tag on him, and I hope there's not going to be any problem". I bit my tongue, and let me friends dad do the talking. He was polite to him, but kind of made the guy feel like a shmoe for shooting and almost dead deer and tagging it, while knowing we were looking for the deer, which the "hunter" confirmed that he figured that's what we were doing. This is where it gets good........

A few months later, I pull into Morse Sporting Goods and recognize the blazer. I walk in to find the fella telling Jim all about his deer, his hunt, and how he shot it with his pistol. He was yapping about what the projectile had done. I played along for a few minutes asking him questions, and he was more than happy to act like the big deal he thought he was, or trying to portray. I finally figured it was time to make him feel like a shithead so I said " You know.... You look very familiar. That buck you shot was a 7 point you say? That's right, now I know........... I was one of the guys that was blood trailing that deer you found over on the South Rd." The look on the guys face was priceless. He paid for what ever he had and couldn't get out of there quick enough. I had told Jim what happened, and he started laughing. He said the guy had been there for a half hour telling him all about his hunt and the deer he shot with a handgun.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Very cool story Kevin.

Mikejd

Reaction score
That's how we do it in our crew as well.

In the mid 2000's we were hunting the South Rd. in Hopkinton. One of the guys hit a nice 7 point in the neck, but he didn't drop right there. Great blood to start with, but it was slowing down. The deer took us to a cut off that ran next to the class 6 access road. There was 3 of us spread out poking along, all with our heads down. It was beyond obvious to anyone that's ever blood trailed a deer what we were doing. A small blazer comes up the road with two guys in it, they slow down get a look at us and drive down as far as they could to the beaver damn, then come back and park behind my truck. In the mean time I had found blood again, and the deer had crossed the road and was making a loop back to where it was shot. It went into the nastiest, thickest shit hole. I was half way through when I heard a shot out in front of me. We lost blood again, went back to the truck for a sandwich and talked about whether we thought it was the two guys that had come in while were trailing blood, and if they had found and shot Dan's deer. A few minutes later the owner of the blazer is walking down the class 6 rd. to his truck. He stops and asks " Are you guys looking for a wounded 7 pointer?", we tell him yes. He then tells us how he was walking up a trail, and the buck was next to a stone wall and couldn't get up, so he shot it with his pistol. He then shocks the shit out of me when he says " Well I put my tag on him, and I hope there's not going to be any problem". I bit my tongue, and let me friends dad do the talking. He was polite to him, but kind of made the guy feel like a shmoe for shooting and almost dead deer and tagging it, while knowing we were looking for the deer, which the "hunter" confirmed that he figured that's what we were doing. This is where it gets good........

A few months later, I pull into Morse Sporting Goods and recognize the blazer. I walk in to find the fella telling Jim all about his deer, his hunt, and how he shot it with his pistol. He was yapping about what the projectile had done. I played along for a few minutes asking him questions, and he was more than happy to act like the big deal he thought he was, or trying to portray. I finally figured it was time to make him feel like a shithead so I said " You know.... You look very familiar. That buck you shot was a 7 point you say? That's right, now I know........... I was one of the guys that was blood trailing that deer you found over on the South Rd." The look on the guys face was priceless. He paid for what ever he had and couldn't get out of there quick enough. I had told Jim what happened, and he started laughing. He said the guy had been there for a half hour telling him all about his hunt and the deer he shot with a handgun.
Priceless. Guy is still a DB. But they are everywhere. I was always taught that the first vital hit is who the deer belongs to. If I shoot him in the tail and he runs past another hunter who puts a good hit on him that hunter owns that deer.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Priceless. Guy is still a DB. But they are everywhere. I was always taught that the first vital hit is who the deer belongs to. If I shoot him in the tail and he runs past another hunter who puts a good hit on him that hunter owns that deer.
We do the same thing. Gut shot is vital, nicking the skin on the scruff of his neck isn't type of thing

runt13

Reaction score
I tracked a nice six pointer in the snow back in 1992 for better part of the morning. When I decided to take a break and have a sandwich I heard a shot not 75 yards away. Here comes the six pointer moving fast that I only saw the tail end of all morning. Boom! I hit it solid, and he came to a skidding halt. All smiles.

About the time I got up to him, I see a young boy and his father coming over the hill. As they get closer you could see the disappointment in there eyes.

When the boy got close to me, he turned to his dad and said that was the deer he took a shot at. His father said sure does look like it. At this point I see 2 nice slug holes not 2 inches apart, both definitely kill shots.

So I ask him ....do you need help gutting your deer? He was beside himself, couldn't speak, just kept looking at his dad, then me. I said take this as a life's lesson son. Truth is that deer was dead on his feet, I didn't know it when I shot him, but the evidence is clear now! Now lets get it field dressed, I'll let your dad explain the rest to you.

I always feel good when i share that story!

RUNT ''13''

NH Hunter

Reaction score
We do the same thing. Gut shot is vital, nicking the skin on the scruff of his neck isn't type of thing
I agree, unless it's one of my guys, then it's theirs if they want it. The one in my story was hit hard enough that once he bedded he couldn't get back up. The guy walked up to it and shot it with a handgun 6 feet away.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I tracked a nice six pointer in the snow back in 1992 for better part of the morning. When I decided to take a break and have a sandwich I heard a shot not 75 yards away. Here comes the six pointer moving fast that I only saw the tail end of all morning. Boom! I hit it solid, and he came to a skidding halt. All smiles.

About the time I got up to him, I see a young boy and his father coming over the hill. As they get closer you could see the disappointment in there eyes.

When the boy got close to me, he turned to his dad and said that was the deer he took a shot at. His father said sure does look like it. At this point I see 2 nice slug holes not 2 inches apart, both definitely kill shots.

So I ask him ....do you need help gutting your deer? He was beside himself, couldn't speak, just kept looking at his dad, then me. I said take this as a life's lesson son. Truth is that deer was dead on his feet, I didn't know it when I shot him, but the evidence is clear now! Now lets get it field dressed, I'll let your dad explain the rest to you.

I always feel good when i share that story!

RUNT ''13''
You should feel good when telling that story. I bet that kid is a better sportsman because of that story.

Vermonster

Reaction score
I just posted this in the Vermont forum talking about how far deer can run even with good initial blood. This was 1988, last year of doe permits for rifle in Vermont I believe, down in the Arlington/Sandgate area. I still think about it to this day.....

I shot at my first ever deer in Vermont when I was 16, an 11 point, ended up being 176 lbs. Knocked him to the ground, blood everywhere, spitting out both sides. Got over to see him gone. My dad and I Followed him, found blood on both sides as he squeezed through saplings. Figured we'd find him shortly. Well, 5 hours, and a couple miles later, we crossed a field, ready to go through some thick stuff, when a shot rang out on the other side, maybe 150 yards away. We got around in time to see a guy starting to gut the deer. I had hit it 1/2 inch from the tail bone, which would have broken his legs. Instead, didn't even get any "thank you for pushing him to me", or nothing. Just a ride back to the truck from another older gentleman. He was very quiet, and seemed a little nervous. I get the impression he'd have probably given me the deer, but oh well. A month later, a roast and a photo of the guy posing with the deer..... LOL

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I just posted this in the Vermont forum talking about how far deer can run even with good initial blood. This was 1988, last year of doe permits for rifle in Vermont I believe, down in the Arlington/Sandgate area. I still think about it to this day.....

I shot at my first ever deer in Vermont when I was 16, an 11 point, ended up being 176 lbs. Knocked him to the ground, blood everywhere, spitting out both sides. Got over to see him gone. My dad and I Followed him, found blood on both sides as he squeezed through saplings. Figured we'd find him shortly. Well, 5 hours, and a couple miles later, we crossed a field, ready to go through some thick stuff, when a shot rang out on the other side, maybe 150 yards away. We got around in time to see a guy starting to gut the deer. I had hit it 1/2 inch from the tail bone, which would have broken his legs. Instead, didn't even get any "thank you for pushing him to me", or nothing. Just a ride back to the truck from another older gentleman. He was very quiet, and seemed a little nervous. I get the impression he'd have probably given me the deer, but oh well. A month later, a roast and a photo of the guy posing with the deer..... LOL
I don't get it, you hit the deer 1/2 inch from the tail bone? Blood spitting out on both sides? Broadside shot? How would that have broken his legs?