Steve/NH Hunting log

Steve/NH

Reaction score
2012 fishing sucked for me. Basically went out to jeffries 4 times for Cod and haddock on various weekends from June thru Sept. 6 fish to show for it, mostly cusk. Stripers...same deal. Cape cod for two weeks....Both stripers and tuna eluded us. The few bright spots were some porpoise, whales and this one 36" striper my son Brad caught... Time to think Hunting.
porpois2.jpg 36.jpg

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Hunting 2012

This will be a big year....Brad is 16 and wants to hunt alone. He's been my sidekick for the last 6-7 years, and actually hunting with me for the last 2-3. He's been preparing all summer, shooting his bow, setting up his stand, cams, etc...I can honestly say he is ready. Shoots 3-4" groups out to 25 yards, clothes are washed, safety equipment checked and I've re-checked. In 2010 he missed a nice buck in Maine during rifle and last year shot over a doe during bow. He's been involved with plenty of tracking and recovery of deer. Now he's also getting geared up for Duck season. Should be an interesting year for me and him.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Started Bow hunting this weekend. Nice to get out and get a few hours in the stand.
Last weekend had to move my stand to a new location. Not enough time to cut lanes so.............
Sat morning - temp was about 29 degrees and no wind. Brought in the pole saw and sat for only 1.5 hours and got down early to cut lanes. Brad was working so he could not go.
Sunday evening Brad and I sat in seperate stands about 250 yards apart. No action from either of us. I do miss the bugger sitting with me though.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Maine Bow hunt 2012
So Paul was out due to having back surgery a few weeks ago, and other camp members Grey and Moe also could not make it. We had it planned for a few weeks ago but since Paul was out I did like the thought of going it alone then I realized my son had a few days of school off due to teacher workshop coming up. Bought him a licence and away we went. Got to camp this past Wed to came home Sunday. The plan was to bow hunt Thurs, Fri and Sat till Paul saved my ass and reminded me the bow season ends Friday not Sat. Oops....Double check the dates from now on. Anyway Thursday, I bow hunted while Brad duck hunted the Pond on Pauls property. No deer sightings for me. Brad shot at a few ducks but we both returned to camp without meat. We both Bow hunted the evening and the result was the same. Nice steak dinner and early to bed. Friday we both Bow hunted sun up to 10. Camp back to regroup, have lunch and figure out how to hunt the evening. Before the evening Brad had a score to settle with a few ducks. He returned with gun on shoulder and hen mallard in hand. His 1st Duck. Friday evening Deer hunt was very quiet except for 1 or 2 deer that pinned me in my stand for a few minutes just after legal light. Figures. Saturday was Landowners deer hunting so we decided to do a little grouse hunting. In 2.5 hours we managed 1 grouse each. My 1st grouse and his 1st grouse.

The afternoon was filled with sighting in Brads new CVA Optima muzzy back at camp. A little painful but we got it to like the TC shockwaves with 100grains of Blackhorn. Sunday we freshend up a few blinds for rifle weekend, packed up and came home. Great father son weekend. Thank you Paul for providing such a special place to spend time with friends and family.

http://www.huntingchat.net/forum/showthread.php?40813-Maine-Bow-hunt-at-camp&p=443396#post443396

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Brad got his 1st deer Saturday!!....Last day of the Maine rifle season.
Paul, his son Andrew, Brad and I all got up to camp Friday about noontime. I filled my tag a few weeks ago so I was not hunting, I was Andrews 'guide'. I agreed to take Andrew out so Paul could also hunt and try and get some meat in his freezer. As I mentioned in the Bow hunting 2012 thread above...during Bow weekend, "we freshened a few blinds". Well more accurately Brad found and made his own blind with hopes of coming up after Thankgiving. After spending Friday evening in the blind I shot my 5 pt from, he decided to change things up and hunt 'his' blind in the am. Sat am we awoke to some light rain. Drew and I settled into our spot about 10 minutes before legal. Brad was about 400 yards from us. All was quiet till about 7:05 when we heard a shot from Brads direction. Both Drew and I dug out our phones hoping for a text. 7:08 "Buck down" was the text that came thru. I don't know who was more excited, me or Andrew. We were high fiving like 'Drew' had just shot a racker. Brads story goes like this.... He caught movement off to his left. A deer was moving thru the thick stuff about 20 yards out, angling out in front of him left to right. He got on it with the scope but could not make out bone until it hit the lane out in front of him about 35 - 40 yards. As soon is he saw bone he mouth bleated, it stopped and looked right at him. He settled on the shoulder and squeezed one off. It face plowed about 10 yards and was done. Shattered the near shoulder and exited the other. Lungs were jellied. 85 lb, 3pt. Very long antlers for such a small bodied deer but who gives a shite about any of that. 1st Maine hunt on his own and he got it done.

(for the record...he was wearing an orange vest, but removed it for gutting before the pic)

Drew on the left, Brad on the right.

Last edited:

Steve/NH

Reaction score
That’s it for me this year. Going back to China Friday till the 19[SUP]th[/SUP].
Brad and I were out this morning till 10:15. Brad went to his stand and I bird dogged to try and kick some around. Crossed a highway of tracks heading down the ridge sometime between the end of the snow and this am, away from Brad. He may have spooked them going in. Followed till I was sure they crossed a road. No sightings. Continued up the ridge to meet Brad and head to another spot. Pushed another Hudson spot that is so steep and thick it nearly never gets hunted. Again lots of ?fresh? tracks since last night but no deer. Home for breakfast at 10:30. Gotta put up christmas lights this afternoon.

Brad will likely get out next weekend while I'm traveling. Good luck bud.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
2013 Turkeys

Tough year work-wise for me this year so could not wait to get to camp and hunt birds with my buds. Once again, Pauls camp did not disappoint. Got up there Sunday afternoon in time to unpack, have a few cold ones before going out to try and roost a few. This we hunted in pairs...Grey and Mo hunted together and Paul and I hunted together. We found a few that gave up their location and set the blind for the morning. Got in about 4:30 and the woods waking up was fabulous...two gobblers in front, a flock of gobblers about 200 yards behind and a few across the road about 400 yards away not to mention the hundreds of song birds chirping...gotts love this or your dead inside. This is where it went south. About 5 minutes after shooting light a truck comes barreling down the middle of the field along a hedge row 80 yards in front of us. He stops 50 yards from the woodline, 100 or so yards from the roosted birds, gets out of his truck and walks to the point on the woodline. WTF!!! 2 minutes later he walks back to his truck, and tears out back to the road. ??? We both give a sigh of relief but are still confused at what we just saw. 5 minutes after that I see 2 birds fly down and land just out of sight around the point from where this guy just left. not 5 seconds after that BOOM from that same point. ??? WTF again! Needless to say we packed up and executed plan B....the gaggle of birds behind us. Ditched the blind and set up in another small field. A little calling and Paul had his 1st Maine tom. He came in with a Jake. Later in the morning I shot my 1st bird of 2013 about 150 yards from that spot. He came in silent after one gobble. 15+ lb Tom. Also got word that Greyson had shot a jake. Excellent opening day. Tuesday was a bust for Paul and I as we found out the birds we were calling to had moved across a pond that was all posted land. However, Greyson and Moe made up for it with a double, simultaneous Tom kill just after flydown, then Moe killing his second bird from the same blind later in the morning. Paul and I decided to split up Wednesday to cover more ground. I decided to try the same field we had been hunting but nothing happeing there this morning so I tryed my secret spot...the tree farm. Nice secluded, off the beaten path with very little traffic. Pulled up to a field and sat their with the windows down for 10 minutes listening for gobbles. Nothing.. Gave a few yelps....."Gobble, Gobble"!! out pops a bird from the hedge row about 150 yards away and starts running towards the truck! I started the truck, pulled down the trail about 150 yards, parked, grabbed my gun and ran to the 1st tree I could sit against. 5-6 minutes later I had my 2nd Tom down. Not the most glamorous hunt but still exciting just the same. Paul tried like hell but ran out of time and did not fill his 2nd tag. Another great time at Camp Nazdrowie. I will fill in the pics later.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
NH Turkeys - 1st Sat of May Brad and I were in country at 5:15 locating with the owl calls. Set up on a few thruout the day but did not score.

Sunday we hit Temple again and again we struck out. Had 2 long beards and another un-identified male within 10 yards....directly behind us and could not swing around without getting busted. More close calls all day but again...no bird. Brad was the only one hunting as I promised my daughter Olivia I would take here this year and she was not available to go. Next weekend I will be taking her out.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
So as I said in previous post I promised my 14 yr old daughter Olivia I would take her out this spring and boy was it special. 2:45 rise, 45 min. drive and in the blind 20 minutes before shooting light. I gave Olivia the option of the head net or the camo makeup and as a 14 yo girl of corse....she chose makeup. Brad was also with us so SRO (standing room only) in the blind but we made it work. The owls did their part but no birds would give up their location until 5:05 when a very distant bird sounded off. We kept the calls to a minimum and at 20min. past a gobble from over our left shoulder got the blood going. Shortly after that a gobbler went off over our right shoulder. He exited the woods in strut, nice beard so I told brad to take him when he gets in range. As he was meandering over to the hen Deke, a jake came in walking in from other direction. He was all mine. Brad shot the Tom and the Jake ran 10 feet and stopped. I let him have it too for being dumb. Despite the rain it was a terrific day.

Brads Tom - 15lb, 9" beard with 3/4" spurrs.
My jake - 13lb

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Steve/NH

Reaction score
quick report for the Maine Bow hunting trip. Brad Woj and I got up to camp around 3:30 Thursday afternoon. Brad has no archery lic. but wanted to come up a duck hunt. On the way up Woj asked me if I would take a skip this weekend. Because of the fact we (Brad) already have one in the freezer and Maine only gives one deer, I said no. Just as I was getting settled in on stand Thursday evening about 5:00 I had a few deer walking right to left about 50 yards out. Legs and tails is all I saw but looked like a doe an 1 or two skips. As their footsteps faded away I think I hit the can…a few minutes later heard another coming from the same place the others came from. A lone deer was going to test my will. It came in a stopped at 8 yards. Don’t think it was a true skip but was a small doe so I held to my word and let it walk. I texted Woj and saw that almost the same time I passed the doe, he said two were coming my way but I never saw them. Back at camp we derived there were definitely two groups of deer. Friday am was washed out so we slept in and went grouse hunting down at the tree farm. Pushed a few up but went home empty. Friday night Brad hunted ducks in the pond out back while we sat on stand. No sightings but it was fun listening to Brad quacking away. He came home with a hen Mallard and lost one in the weeds. Did it all again Saturday…. grouse, ducks and deer but no more killing.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Muzzy opener in NH -

Brad and I headed out to Lyndborough for the am. Have a few spots we know of but havent done any scouting yet this year...dropped Brad off at the spot he wanted to hunt and I went down the road about a mile. Brad was on some pretty fresh scrapes so he sat all morning. I walked about 1.5 miles without finding anything worth sitting on. During my stroll I ran into the living room of what I imagine to be a pretty big bull moose. Seemed like hundreds of fresh rubs, many on 12-14" diameter beach tree's, 6' off the ground. At one point he was grunting at me but I never spotted him. Not being a regular encounter in these parts I gave him a few minutes of my time to try and get a pic but he avoided me.

Last edited:

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Day two Muzzy 2013
Back to Lboro. Light wind and snow flurry's temp about 38 deg. Brad sat on the scapes he found, I poked around up the hill above him. Nothing happenng this morning.
Got home and took a nap...Overslept and didn't get out tonight....kicking myself cause it looked like a nice night to be out.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Tomorrow we head to camp for the 2013 maine deer hunt at camp nazdrowie. Alway a blast and the this yeat will be Brads 1st with the old men. Can't waot to get rolling. Dluke is up in the area this year so hope to see him and his dad at soke point.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
2013 Camp notes

Day one for the camp crew was Wed. Greyson filled his doe tag at 4pm. Day one for me was thursday and it began with a herd of does marching single file by me. They stopped and milled around for a bit before moving on. No bone head following. Brad heard thr ruccus as the moved pased him 15 minutes prior. Paul also had a few sneek up to him. After lunch we headed back out. Nothing moving. Awesome dinner and to bed. Friday ....perfect morning..cold and still. I sat till 10 but nothing to report. Brad had a lone doe come to within 10 yards of him. I guess he has some video we'll check out later.

Last edited:

Steve/NH

Reaction score
....continued

...Friday afternoon Brad an I went to a new spot off a potato field to check out. I hunted it before but this year they planted corn and the sign we saw was heavier than years past. We liked what we saw so we each set up and hunted till dark. At about 4:00 I had what sounded like running deer from left to right just over the hill in front. They never showed but I imagined a buck chasing a doe from the sound of it. That was it and back to camp for dinner, laughs, and bed. Saturday Brad and I took to the same blinds Woj made a move to a new stand. At 6:30ish I had 3 does walk in on the same run I saw the 9 day on Thursday. No bone but always love seeing deer. Maybe 15 minutes later a close gunshot told me that either Brad or Paul had seen some antlers. Saturday was Paul's day. A spike had chose the wrong run and walked by Paul's tree. Close chip shot for him and deer two was on the pole. Saturday night we headed back to the corn field. Mr. tractor guy had decided to till our corner of the 100 acres from 2pm to civil sunset then oddly enough moved to the other side just after shooting light ended. It was too late to move so we had to tough it out and its no surprise that no deer were this night. I will have one more shot on Friday and Sat after Thanksgiving to fill my Maine tag. Just me and Drew will be in the woods. Great few days at camp again but being Brads 1st year hunting with the adults...it was extra special even though we did not fill tags we both saw our share of deer.

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Was able to sneak out early from Thanksgiving desert to drive back to camp. Paul and Andrew were also en route. Friday morning was cold, about 12F. Sat in my blind and Andrew in Brads blind till about 9 when we both had to get moving to keep from freezing. A slow poke back to camp for some coffee warmed the bones a little. Went to the 100 acres for the afternoon checked out a new spot. Turns out it had been logged and was a real mess. Nothing to report this evening. Sat morning it was back behind camp. A balmy 8 degrees made us pack on the layers. Very calm, crisp, and unfortunately quiet morning. For the afternoon we hunted two blinds a little deeper in behind camp. At 330 I had 3 deer sneak into within 40 yards. Turned out to be a doe and two skips. They left me and ran past drew as well. No boneheads following them around. That was it for Maine 2013. Overall a good year. Saw 20 does between bow and gun. Great season and very thankful to have such a great place to hunt.

Last edited:

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Last day of NH gun today. Took a walk into the usual spots. Very crunchy. Not much sign since the sat wet snow. Thats it for this year. Bring on the ice fishing.

Last edited:

Latest posts