Starting the year off right... Part 2

medrhunter

Reaction score
After about 2 hours go by, no more deer, I'm getting fidgety.
I decide to still hunt my way in a semi-circle around my buddy's location and maybe I'll kick something to him.
I wasn't dressed for walking and I didn't want to tear up my sitting clothes on the NJ barbed wire thorns so I decided to walk through the open hardwoods on the outer edge of the property.
The ground is still pretty frozen and crunchy.
About an hour in I walk up on bedded doe, 20 yards away.
She spots me, stands up but doesn't move.
I blow at her. She just watches. I stomp at her. She just watches.
So I just walk slowly off.
I go about 25 yards, turn around and she's following me. (Of course no camera)
I turn around to continue walking and I 3 tails jump off.
I go to where I saw the tails and they headed into some thick crap, but in the direction of my buddy's stand.
Since I was close to another corn field and I was working up a sweat, I decided not to follow.
I peeled off my coat, bibs, vest, tied them with my drag rope and through them over my shoulder for the remaining walk back to my truck.
I popped out in the corner of the corn field and started walking the edge.
The field has a small hill which prevents you from seeing across until your about 30 yards into it.
I get to the point where I can see over the hill and I see 3 deer standing in the field about 150 yards out.
The sun is right behind these deer and I cannot tell what they are.
I pull up the scope, I can see they all have horns, but I can't tell how big they are or how many points, just they all have decent racks.
I backtrack a bit to get out of their sight and get a better angle.
I work my way another 20 yards towards the center of the field and peek over the hump.
Busted!. All three look my way and start high tailing it out.
I stood up, picked the best shot and let one rip.
Missed. Took a 2nd shot and saw him hunch up. Took one last shot as I watched him bunch up and go down.
I turned just in time to watch the other two deer hit the shadows.
The first guy was a monster. Wish I had my bino's.

Story Part 2.PNG

Anyway, get to my deer, he's a nice 8 and extremely big for this time of year.
I grab my truck, drive right up to the deer just as Rick is exiting the woods.
He says right before my shots, 12 does went by his stand and he heard more in the direction of the field.
Got him to take a picture, field dressed him, hit the butcher and home by 1.
I hope this the is start to a better 2021.
Happy New Year everyone!

2021 Hope Buck 20210109-4.jpg

2021 Hope Buck 20210109.jpg

medrhunter

Reaction score
I got the skull back with the lower jaw separate.
I didn't want to chance wiring the jaw since the contact points are very fragile.
So I glued it by the teeth. Came out OK.

Hope Skull with Jaw1.jpg

Hope Skull with Jaw2.jpg

I'm torn about how to secure the skull to whatever backing I choose.
I'm leaning towards using something like my "Red Neck" camera mount and drilling through the bottom by the spinal cord hole and through the thick part of the skull.

RedNeckMount.jpg
This will allow me to rotate the head up and down and left to right.
Any other suggestions???

tobydog

Reaction score
I got the skull back with the lower jaw separate.
I didn't want to chance wiring the jaw since the contact points are very fragile.
So I glued it by the teeth. Came out OK.

View attachment 24507

View attachment 24508

I'm torn about how to secure the skull to whatever backing I choose.
I'm leaning towards using something like my "Red Neck" camera mount and drilling through the bottom by the spinal cord hole and through the thick part of the skull.

View attachment 24509
This will allow me to rotate the head up and down and left to right.
Any other suggestions???
how much does it weigh? do you think the camera mount will hold up over time, supporting the weight vertically as opposed to securing it horizontally through the back of the skull? I have never hung one myself, just initial thoughts.

medrhunter

Reaction score
how much does it weigh? do you think the camera mount will hold up over time, supporting the weight vertically as opposed to securing it horizontally through the back of the skull? I have never hung one myself, just initial thoughts.
Its pretty heavy. I'm going to use a thicker bolt and anchor it in 2 spots so all the weight is not at 1 point on the skull.
I used this mount to hang a trail cam with bear/security box and no issue at all.
I looked at some of the commercial hooks out there and I'm more confidant in this setup.

tobydog

Reaction score
Its pretty heavy. I'm going to use a thicker bolt and anchor it in 2 spots so all the weight is not at 1 point on the skull.
I used this mount to hang a trail cam with bear/security box and no issue at all.
I looked at some of the commercial hooks out there and I'm more confidant in this setup.
let us know how it goes. bought a new house in September, I have been kept pretty busy hanging stuff by my wife:) have had to get creative a few times.

medrhunter

Reaction score
looks really good. Nice job. How did it go with the drilling/mounting?
It took some innovation but worked out really well.
I drilled a 1/4 hole in the bottom of the skull.
I threaded an eye bolt through the hole.
I was able to place a nut on top of the eye bolt through the spinal cord cavity with some liquid nail adhesive on top.
I threaded the bolt the rest of the way to the top of the skull and let the adhesive set.
I was able to remove the bolt but now had a solid anchor on top of the skull.
I repeated the same process on the inside at the bottom of the skull. (Was bit more difficult to keep adhesive of threads)
Now I had 2 solid anchor points.
The rest was the same as my camera mount.
Cool thing is I can rotate the head Left, Right, Up, Down depending upon what looks good where I decide to hang it.
Nice snowy day project.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've been on the look out for some old barn boards. I have a couple people I'm checking with in the spring. I built something similar with my euro as well.

Latest posts