Squirrel Hunt

mowbizz

Reaction score
You eat ‘em? I have a bunch around the property but I believe the season is over…yup…ended 1/31. But there’s a bill in the legislature that would change it to “no closed season”😄

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You eat ‘em? I have a bunch around the property but I believe the season is over…yup…ended 1/31. But there’s a bill in the legislature that would change it to “no closed season”😄
Yes, I'm boiling the quarters now, and then will fry them. Seasons open until Feb 26 here. Rabbit also, but they are hard to find these days.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yes, I'm boiling the quarters now, and then will fry them. Seasons open until Feb 26 here. Rabbit also, but they are hard to find these days.
Yeah…bunnies nonexistent here too. I saw one snowshoe hare track a few years back but between the foxes n yotes that one is long gone…

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
There were a lot 15 years ago. I guess it goes in cycles as long as the habitat is still there. Here is a pic of the same spot where we got the squirrels. This was with my daughter in just a couple of hours. No dogs, just kicking brush piles. Too many fox, coyotes, hawks now I think.
0314161051.jpg 0314161051a.jpg

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
It was good. Like chicken wings. I boiled it, let simmer for 90 minutes and then rolled in flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Then fried it in olive oil. Haven't had it in quite a while. Was not tough at all and tasted a lot like wings.
Makes me want to go out and get more! :)

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Good stuff. I better not let my 8 year old know it’s still squirrel season in some places, he’d be trying to figure out how to get there!

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Ha,ha. Do you enjoy eating them?
I ate some back in my college days. They were surprisingly good. I don't know how the person cooked them, but it looked and tasted like chicken, but like good chicken, not boring chicken, lol. I'd do it again.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
You guys are much better cooks than I am. My poor kids.....I just throw whatever (non-venison, non-turkey breast) meat I have laying around into the crockpot for a long time with some sort of a broth and a bunch of vegetables. My wife hates it. The kids get all sour-faced when I'm cooking it, but they eat it. I think the disgust they show is just because I told them I put some turkey gizzards in it last time, which I admit, doesn't make it sound all that appetizing.

Swampman

Reaction score
Beat some eggs in a bowl with a fork or whisk, dip meat in eggs then roll in bread or cracker crumbs.
Season to your liking, brown in a skillet on the stove in a little butter or olive oil until golden brown then put in the oven for an hour and bake at 375 degrees, delicious!

This is how we make rabbit, grouse and squirrel.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys are much better cooks than I am. My poor kids.....I just throw whatever (non-venison, non-turkey breast) meat I have laying around into the crockpot for a long time with some sort of a broth and a bunch of vegetables. My wife hates it. The kids get all sour-faced when I'm cooking it, but they eat it. I think the disgust they show is just because I told them I put some turkey gizzards in it last time, which I admit, doesn't make it sound all that appetizing.
You are doing good Pete! I am a chicken on a stick over the fire type!

mowbizz

Reaction score
You are doing good Pete! I am a chicken on a stick over the fire type!
That’s good too! I always drool over the movie “mountain men” roasting meat on a stick! Hey, when your hungry any kind of fire works! 😄

Latest posts