Spring fishing

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I think its almost time for people to start catching Lakers from shore on Champlain right?
Longbow - you're usually shore casting on one of the great lakes for browns about this time too right?
When do people start trolling - as soon as the ice is gone?

JDK

Reaction score
I stood on a lake Sunday and there was 2+ feet of ice still. It will be a while even with this weather.

That said.

I spent last night replacing monofilament on my trolling rods. As soon as the ice go

VtPalmaShooter

Reaction score
I'm thinking if I want to do any stream fishing this year I better do it early. Not much for run off from the snow melt and unless we get a lot of rain conditions could be worse than last year.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Longbow - you're usually shore casting on one of the great lakes for browns about this time too right?
Yes, Lake Ontario. I am going to watch the water flow/ water temps and when it's right I might take a run up. Would like the river where it flows into the lake to be at least 40 and not too high. Last week of April and first week of May when I fish northern Lake Michigan.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I stood on a lake Sunday and there was 2+ feet of ice still. It will be a while even with this weather.

That said.

I spent last night replacing monofilament on my trolling rods. As soon as the ice go

Yeah, I fished on about 14" of ice last weekend in southwest section of VT, which is much warmer than a lot of northern new england. About 8" of it was good ice and the rest was grey honeycomb. With the south wind this week, the ice has left our pond, so I know it won't be long now.

Do you typically start trolling as soon as the ice is gone and fish the top of the column, or do you wait for the water temp to warm at all?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I'm thinking if I want to do any stream fishing this year I better do it early. Not much for run off from the snow melt and unless we get a lot of rain conditions could be worse than last year.

Yeah last year we tried to hit our brookie spots on opening day and they were iced over or really cold. We changed to some bigger water and did ok. I agree, this year will probably be the opposite.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Yes, Lake Ontario. I am going to watch the water flow/ water temps and when it's right I might take a run up. Would like the river where it flows into the lake to be at least 40 and not too high. Last week of April and first week of May when I fish northern Lake Michigan.

I'm itching to make a drive over there for an overnight trip, but Turkey season always keeps us home. Maybe if we burn some tags early I'll pack the boys up and head west.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
When do people start trolling - as soon as the ic
I'm itching to make a drive over there for an overnight trip, but Turkey season always keeps us home. Maybe if we burn some tags early I'll pack the boys up and head west.
Let me know if you go, I know a little about the fishing over there I might be able to give you some useful information.

JDK

Reaction score
Do you typically start trolling as soon as the ice is gone and fish the top of the column, or do you wait for the water temp to warm at all?

Lots of times I have to troll around iceflows. The lakes that I fish are predominately smelt forage based and they spawn mid-April to early-May. I troll in very shallow water and target trout, togue, and salmon. The hard part is that the fish can be anywhere. If the smelt aren't "running" you have to cover water and find concentrations of baitfish and warmer water. It's all fun.

If push came to shove I'd have to say that I prefer trolling in June-September. The fish are more concentrated, the weather nicer, and generally most enjoyable being on a boat. Different gear is required however.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Lots of times I have to troll around iceflows. The lakes that I fish are predominately smelt forage based and they spawn mid-April to early-May. I troll in very shallow water and target trout, togue, and salmon. The hard part is that the fish can be anywhere. If the smelt aren't "running" you have to cover water and find concentrations of baitfish and warmer water. It's all fun.

If push came to shove I'd have to say that I prefer trolling in June-September. The fish are more concentrated, the weather nicer, and generally most enjoyable being on a boat. Different gear is required however.

Thats interesting. 1 of the lakes I'd be fishing is smelt forage but the other is alewife. Both are primarily brown trout with very few lakers, and zero salmon. What do you consider "shallow"?

JDK

Reaction score
2-12 feet. Biggest brookie we had last year was in 18 inches but deeper water was nearby

JDK

Reaction score
Before the ice goes up here I usually spend a few days downstate fishing for browns. Lakes have a lot of alewives. We troll bigger profile spoon off inlines on sandy beaches or right in the rocks. Water temps are usually pretty cold. Couple of times we hammered them on flies in 2-4 feet of water

my son lives in central Maine and usually trolls deeper water and leadcore early. He rarely catches them shallow

Latest posts