Spaniels.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
We lost our EC spaniel Tink in February kind of suddenly and it was heartbreaking. After a few weeks of coming home to an empty house I called the breeder Tink came from to start the process of getting a new pup. They were expecting 2 litters in March but there were 14 deposits ahead of me so it looked like I’d get a puppy from another litter they had planned for late summer. I thought that would be fine so I sent in a deposit for a female EC spaniel.
A few more weeks went by and I decided I didn’t want to wait that long so I started looking around. I found a breeder in Georgia who had a litter of puppies almost ready and a couple females available. It didn’t takemuch to convince my wife and we bought this little red pup and had her delivered to our door a few weeks later. Her name is Piper.
89FF6133-F2FE-46C7-91D2-FC5095143B2E.jpeg
A few weeks after she arrived I got a phone call from John at Kirby Mountain telling me that it looked like they’d have a black female available in May if I was interested, apparently a few folks in front of me had backed out. I said yes without even asking my wife. In May we picked up Cricket.
F25D8578-7DE1-4089-BA02-428412C5B279.jpeg

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I’ve been working on training them ever since, mostly obedience stuff but a little field work. Piper is a retrieving machine, Cricket not so much but they are both bird crazy. They’re pretty much full size now.

These two are a bit more rambunctious than their predecessor but no less lovable with the sweetest dispositions. Usually I take one to work with me and my wife takes the other.

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I miss my lab in a huge way..... I've kicked the idea around about getting another many times. Congrats on two great looking pooches. I've told my wife if we get another, this time the dog was going to "earn it's keep" by bird hunting with me. I haven't the first clue how to train a bird dog, but can't imagine it's too much different than the coon hound training I took part in as a kid, or the obedience/protection training I helped my mother with as a kid. Congrats again..... Losing a four legged family member is a tough pill to swallow.

Millerdaga

Reaction score
I miss my lab in a huge way..... I've kicked the idea around about getting another many times. Congrats on two great looking pooches. I've told my wife if we get another, this time the dog was going to "earn it's keep" by bird hunting with me. I haven't the first clue how to train a bird dog, but can't imagine it's too much different than the coon hound training I took part in as a kid, or the obedience/protection training I helped my mother with as a kid. Congrats again..... Losing a four legged family member is a tough pill to swallow.
+1

Gold Rush

Reaction score
A good bird dog will train YOU. I'm on my second Brittany and neither were "officially" trained, but they become an extension of your self. They learn as you learn, knowing what to do and when to do it. The first one, Smitty, passed away at 14 and my newest one, Riley, is a joy to hunt with. He has a totally different style of hunting than Smitty did, but the two of us together get the birds. A new dog can never be the one you lost, always in your memories, but each new dog becomes the one that you cherish. Reminds me of a quote I keep on the fridge.....
“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

― Unknown Author

arlow

Reaction score
Me neither when I got Max 3 years ago.

Obedience first. Sit on command, come on command, lay down and heel.

Long leash training. 25 ish foot leash. Every time he hits the end he was told "too far" and checked. Many many days of these things. Max is a flusher so I never want him too far out like you can do with a pointer. Eventually move to teaching him to move left and right with hand signals. Ideallly I want him 20 yards in front criss crossing back and forth in front of me but also I can command him to go into thick cover areas with a hand signal.

Bumper work. Steady at a sit as bumper is thrown,m track with his eyes. release, recover and retrieve to your feet with a reward and lots of praise. Electric collars are very valuable but you must be careful. Too high a setting can set you back in your progress pretty easily. But they are neccessary because they get an excited dog in the fields attention quickly when signals are not enough.