Some morning action

Mainewoods

Reaction score
The good thing about this cold snap, is that all the ponds freeze up and the ducks take to the flowing streams. Hit an old grown-up cranberry bog this morning and there was plenty of action! I love jump shooting ducks like this as it's much better than freezing in a blind.

Lavman

Reaction score
Nice! Wild mallard is my favorite winged bird to eat

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Great morning Nate!!! I wanted to fish today, but -20 windchills is keeping me stoking the wood stove like it's a train!!

Lavman

Reaction score
-20 windchills is keeping me stoking the wood stove like it's a train!!
That is the description I have been searching for! We heat our house via 2 woodstoves and the wife and I each take a shift at night when its this cold. Load them up at bedtime (9pm or so) then she gets up at midnight and refills both then I hit them again around 3am and we manage to keep the house around 68*. If we let them goto coals overnight when its this cold you will wake up to a 50* house that takes a while to warm back up. Fortunately she runs her business out of our house so she keeps the home fires burning all day.

I love teal as well but takes more to make a meal.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
That is the description I have been searching for! We heat our house via 2 woodstoves and the wife and I each take a shift at night when its this cold. Load them up at bedtime (9pm or so) then she gets up at midnight and refills both then I hit them again around 3am and we manage to keep the house around 68*. If we let them goto coals overnight when its this cold you will wake up to a 50* house that takes a while to warm back up. Fortunately she runs her business out of our house so she keeps the home fires burning all day.

I love teal as well but takes more to make a meal.
That's right. Mine will hold coals until the morning, but if you want to keep it warm you need to keep it burning hot, which means loading at night. I have oil also, but I hate to hear it kick on.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Great morning Nate!!! I wanted to fish today, but -20 windchills is keeping me stoking the wood stove like it's a train!!
Lowest for us was only 10 this morning but with windchill, who knows. I do know that it didn't take long for my chessie's coat to freeze up once he brought the ducks back after a few stream swims. It's awesome when I put the stalk on some ducks, he freeezes right where he's at and just watches me.

I've got a big soapstone stove, so it holds heat well, but I'll get up around 2 or 3 and fill it back up.

Earl

Reaction score
although i love the dry heat and smell of a wood stove, I'll just walk over and turn the thermostat up another notch and sleep through the whole night.

Escout711

Reaction score
Supposed to get FAHCKIN COLD tonight! The forecast says 1 degree tomorrow morning here in SE MA, but it’s 8 now and dropping. I caught the last hour of the day and I had snot running out of my nose like syrup!

Haystaddle

Reaction score
I hit the Barnstable marsh this morning for some jump shooting too. Tides not strong enough, and combined with the cold, 80 % of the creeks were totally frozen. Never jumped a duck. Should have hit my spots with freshwater springs like you did. At least we both got a walk.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Supposed to get FAHCKIN COLD tonight! The forecast says 1 degree tomorrow morning here in SE MA, but it?s 8 now and dropping. I caught the last hour of the day and I had snot running out of my nose like syrup!
1 degree is a heat wave. We have been minus up here since Wednesday. I feel bad for the poor bastards up here skiing for the week. Today it was -20 to -40 depending on the wind with negatives until next Wednesday.

Browseline

Reaction score
Supposed to get FAHCKIN COLD tonight! The forecast says 1 degree tomorrow morning here in SE MA, but it?s 8 now and dropping. I caught the last hour of the day and I had snot running out of my nose like syrup!
-13 this morning here and probably -30 or -35 with the wind chill. Warmed up to -1 this afternoon and just now it is -9. I've been in hibernation mode for the last 2 days and probably for the next 4 or 5 days. I go out to the mailbox and that's about it. Working outside a lot of winters for 45 years has made me dislike the cold. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Big D

Reaction score
Nice job. I used to be a die hard duck hunter who lived for the late season in Maine. Get the cold snaps and the moving water was on fire. Very rarely see anyone out there. Very rarely could I talk anyone into going with me. I can remember days when the river flow would be gelling up in front of you. Never had a dog though, so it was me plunging into the current in neoprenes to get them as they floated away.

Big D

Reaction score
-13 this morning here and probably -30 or -35 with the wind chill. Warmed up to -1 this afternoon and just now it is -9. I've been in hibernation mode for the last 2 days and probably for the next 4 or 5 days. I go out to the mailbox and that's about it. Working outside a lot of winters for 45 years has made me dislike the cold. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.
I hear you there. I'm glad it's not deer season cause then you'd have to go out. Too cold too early.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Nice job. I used to be a die hard duck hunter who lived for the late season in Maine. Get the cold snaps and the moving water was on fire. Very rarely see anyone out there. Very rarely could I talk anyone into going with me. I can remember days when the river flow would be gelling up in front of you. Never had a dog though, so it was me plunging into the current in neoprenes to get them as they floated away.
That’s why a good dog is the best companion you can have. No one is more excited than a retriever to hit the water, no matter what the temps. Your are right, once things freeze up, rivers and streams are hot!

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I hit the Barnstable marsh this morning for some jump shooting too. Tides not strong enough, and combined with the cold, 80 % of the creeks were totally frozen. Never jumped a duck. Should have hit my spots with freshwater springs like you did. At least we both got a walk.
And the best part is that you can now walk through the thick stuff and not be covered in ticks! Might scoot out of work early and see what's around. Good luck Jim!

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Looks like a fun, albeit cold, day. I hear we are going to get back up into the 20's in about another week to 10 days. Boy want that be balmy.