So Who's wife hunts with them?

ojibwa

Reaction score
Over the last 30+ years I have had lots of different hunting partners, but I can say without a doubt my wife is my favorite.. The first 8 years we were married she did not hunt at all although she loves wild game.. Three years ago she 4 years ago she decided she wanted a bow, the first year she just shot in the yard with me then the next year she went with me to KY where she killed 2 doe 30 min apart...she was hooked, last year she killed her first with a rifle.

Now I don't even think of planning trip without her.

We hunt together a lot out of a ground[pop-up] blind.. I think it has bought us much closer together and is one of the best things we could have done for our marriage. If you don't hunt with your wife you have no idea what you are missing..
003.jpg
downsized_0102151021.jpg

badfisherman

Reaction score
Your a very lucky man as far as I'm concerned. I'd love it if my wife joined me. For now I'm happy having my kids as my partners.

ojibwa

Reaction score
Your a very lucky man as far as I'm concerned. I'd love it if my wife joined me. For now I'm happy having my kids as my partners.
I think she realized early on it was a great way for us to be together more and to be closer as a couple.. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.. Kids grow up get their own lives and move away but if you are lucky you and and your spouse are in it for the long haul..

RememberBaker

Reaction score
My wife, at least thus far, has absolutely no interest in hunting. She likes fishing and occasionally she will shoot a little bit. I bought her a Browning Buckmark a long time ago. All three of our daughters love to hunt and fish, I thought eventually being the only one in the family that didn't hunt might spur her to try it, but it hasn't happened yet.

ojibwa

Reaction score
I guess I have been lucky both of my wives liked to hunt, my first wife and I were married 18 years and she hunted with from the time we started dating..

2browndogs

Reaction score
I guess I have been lucky both of my wives liked to hunt, my first wife and I were married 18 years and she hunted with from the time we started dating..
Ha, you are a lucky man to find two woman that hunt.....maybe there is hope for me...my wife has filed for divorce....much on account of my hunting......guess I need to re-evaluate my criteria for next wife...if there is even going to be one.....haha...

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Ha, you are a lucky man to find two woman that hunt.....maybe there is hope for me...my wife has filed for divorce....much on account of my hunting......guess I need to re-evaluate my criteria for next wife...if there is even going to be one.....haha...
sorry to hear that. Never seems to end in a good scene. I have a good friend going through the same right now.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry man. I have two friends who have returned home from hunting or fishing trips to emptied homes.....

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry man. I have two friends who have returned home from hunting or fishing trips to emptied homes.....
Wow, that's tough. I hoped they filled tags and creels before they got home. That's be a double kick in the twig and berries.

ojibwa

Reaction score
hope all goes well with divorce, well as well as can be expected..

There are a lot of ladies who love to hunt and fish you will find one if that is what you are looking for..
I always tell my boys when you least expect it that is when you will find her or vise versa..lol

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
My girlfriend (x 8 years) was a non hunter when we started dating, but loved venison. Over the years she's always respected my need to hunt and enjoyed the meat and stories that come back. A few years ago I got her a bow to shoot in the yard. She's since taken hunters ed. Walks with me bird hunting in the fall and enjoys casting from the canoe (says she doesn't want to catch anything- I can't wait until one grabs the lure). It's been an evolution that is still ongoing. I'm lucky that she values the lifestyle around it.

Getting to spend time together like that has been more than enjoyable.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Not mine thank God. Maybe I'm selfish but my hunting time is my time to do it my way and not have to cater to anyone else.

runt13

Reaction score
My wife of 22 years hunts with me. She never hunted or fished before she met me. Now she hunts, camps, fish and crabs with me, she is my game butcher, and loves it all. She doesn't do deer camp [to cold for her] but has no issues with me going, or all the great tales she hears when we get back.

Just this morning she mentioned she wanted a bow and maybe try her hand at deer in the warmer months.

RUNT ''13''

ojibwa

Reaction score
OK so sorry for the downer in advance.

one thing I always tells guys who hunt [a lot] even if their wife seems fine with it or says she is fine with it, make dang sure she really fine with it..

I know far too many guys who hunted a lot and made trips all over the country most thought their wife was fine with, only to get served with divorce papers one day..

So communicate with your wife talk to her and really listen[most guys suck at the latter].. Don't just think your wife is fine with it just because she says she is talk to her and make sure..LISTEN!

Divorce sucks the whole process sucks and for me at least is was very painful emotionally.. I took me years to get over my first marriage.. I am so blessed to have met my current bride and feel so blessed.

Jimmy S

Reaction score
My wife is fine NOT hunting with me and so am I.
I wouldn't change that part of my life at all. Some say their marriage is better because they spend time hunting together.
No argument here if that works for you but my marriage has been for the better because we don't hunt together.

My wife is not a hunter but appreciates the fact that hunting is the single most favorite part of my recreational life, without question.

The same can be said for all three sons.

My wife catches trout with her fly rod as do our daughter and three sons.
We all shoot and have a PTC.
My son is a hunting and fishing guide in Colorado and has spent time with my wife in the trout streams when visiting as well as doing some target shooting.
Not to mention time spent in Pulaski NY fly fishing for salmon and steelheads.
My wife's family is from Texas where hunting is a part of their everyday life, so the shooting/killing of wild animal is never an issue.
Of course every fish we keep and every animal we shoot is enjoyed by family and friends.

Bottom line: My wife is on 'vacation' during deer season when I'm in the woods.
However, when I (we) call at any time, even 8:00 am and tell her we're having a beer, she always asks " How big is it"?
(Yes, we always have a beer to celebrate after someone tags and the deer is dragged and in the truck before registering the deer.)

She is always happy when I return home with some pheasant after bird hunting with our Springer.

I think she was the most happy and proud of us was when my son and I called from Berlin, NH to tell her we were successful in tagging our moose two years ago.

Last edited:

ojibwa

Reaction score
Jimmy congrats on what sounds like a great mariage.......

I didn't mean to get you stirred you up, of course every marriage is different.
All I was really try to relay is communication with with your wife is key and most husbands suck at it, it is a learned skill.
I am glad your wife is fine with your travels and glad she enjoys the outdoors as well, many wives are fine with it but many are not. It always puzzles me why they married and outdoors man in the first place?..

I have a lot of buddies in the outdoor TV hunting industry you would amazed how many have gotten divorced over the years because they took their wives for granted..

BTW...Thank you for your service... what years were you in NAM, My father was there from 69 till 73 and flew RF4Cs retired 1977 Full bird Col,.....

Jimmy S

Reaction score
ojibwa:
You didn't get me stirred up, I honeslty was only try to explain how much hunting means to me and how much my wife appreciates that.
As a matter of fact, she has been apprerciating that for 47 years.

I was in Vietnam in '67-'68 (Tet offensive) stationed at Pleiku Air Base with the Air Police - later changed to Security Police.
I was part of the Security Police for 4 years and left the USAF in 1970.

Please tell your father that I too say Thank You for his service and also tell him Jimmy said "Welcome Home"!

ojibwa

Reaction score
ojibwa:
You didn't get me stirred up, I honeslty was only try to explain how much hunting means to me and how much my wife appreciates that.
As a matter of fact, she has been apprerciating that for 47 years.

I was in Vietnam in '67-'68 (Tet offensive) stationed at Pleiku Air Base with the Air Police - later changed to Security Police.
I was part of the Security Police for 4 years and left the USAF in 1970.

Please tell your father that I too say Thank You for his service and also tell him Jimmy said "Welcome Home"!
Thank you Sir!
And he is home now my father passed last year on veterans day he now rests in the National cemetery in Dallas TX.

Latest posts