Snow/Weather Check

groundtender

Reaction score
We always laugh at that question. The single biggest challenge in sugaring seems to be knowing how many taps we have. I try to count often, but then a shiny thing grabs my attention and I forget. My dad would tell you we're somewhere between 300 and a million. My count puts us around 800. We'll probably have way more sap than we do wood though.
Ya, like lobster traps. My answer to the question is “sometimes not enough (traps), sometimes too many”. Good luck with the sugar, I hope it’s a good year for it.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
We always laugh at that question. The single biggest challenge in sugaring seems to be knowing how many taps we have. I try to count often, but then a shiny thing grabs my attention and I forget. My dad would tell you we're somewhere between 300 and a million. My count puts us around 800. We'll probably have way more sap than we do wood though.
We don't have a solid count either. My father-in-law says its about 800 here as well. About a hundred of those are buckets we gather with a tractor, the rest flows gravity into the sugarhouse. We should be all set on wood for this year, if we aren't then the woodshed isn't big enough because its busting at the seams. We should be tapped out by the end of the weekend, Woods roads are pretty icy right now, lots of brake steering going on.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
The snow is hard enough that the 65lb old goat can walk on top of it, which results in the findings in the bottom pic:

A lot of deer are going to be killed this winter here due to the crust and ice. Coyotes were lurking early winter. I’ll be taking a walk today when I’m pruning apple trees.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
We don't have a solid count either. My father-in-law says its about 800 here as well. About a hundred of those are buckets we gather with a tractor, the rest flows gravity into the sugarhouse. We should be all set on wood for this year, if we aren't then the woodshed isn't big enough because its busting at the seams. We should be tapped out by the end of the weekend, Woods roads are pretty icy right now, lots of brake steering going on.
We're done with buckets, for now...I live about an hour from the farm so I can't get to them on most weekdays and don't want my parents doing it. If buy a house over here I'll be putting them back out. And you're right, our roads are nasty right now, even with chains on all 4 corners.
I actually start tapping a lot earlier than we used to. I switched to 3/16 pipeline and one of the benefits I've found is that I don't have to rush out into the woods and tap it all at once.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
A lot of deer are going to be killed this winter here due to the crust and ice. Coyotes were lurking early winter. I’ll be taking a walk today when I’m pruning apple trees.
Oh right, I did forget about the books. We'll have to catch up this week maybe.

For some reason, we have a lot of really small deer around this year. I'm shocked they've made it this far, and expected to see more of the tiny hooves like in the pic. That deer live weight couldn't have been more than 50lbs. Hopefully the warmth this week will melt some of that ice off and give them a break.

The deer also started walking in all the the tracks that I made checking my lines. I'm glad it helps them, but they have already snapped it in 1 spot and pulled it apart at a T in another...Its 2 degrees right now and I'm headed out to put it back together before the next run on Monday. Today will be a full day of boiling (if I can get the tanks/pipes thawed out) and tomorrow we'll be chasing trout.

Latest posts