Snow/Weather Check

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Had snow on the ground here for over a month. About 2 feet is down to about 8 inches on northern slopes and some bare ground starting to show on the south slopes.
Been feeding the deer, although I don't think they don't really need it to survive, it is nice seeing them around the house every evening, along with about 30+ turkeys.
50 degrees today then high 50's and maybe even 60 for next week so hopefully we get rid of the snow.

How has the winter been in your area and how are the deer making out?

Wood

Reaction score
Was zero with a 20mph wind yesterday. Much nicer today. Not a heavy snow year at all. I can get inside 10 yards from some of the turkeys in my yard before they wander off.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Bare patches starting to show in North East Mass. Still plenty on the ground in Western Maine. Trying to squeeze in another weekend on the snowmobile beings melt out.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Not too much around here all winter maybe 6 inches on the ground with some bare spots starting to show.

JDK

Reaction score
2+ feet here. Deer seem to be doing fine.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Probably 8-10” of snow left here, pretty dense packed after the rain and refreeze. There’s probably 20 to 25 deer up back. They’ve been hitting the tops we left in the woods while thinning a few acres on the fringe of the sugarwoods. They are still digging up acorns from last fall as well..

lester2

Reaction score
Probly 18-20” still on the ground here at 2200’ in southeastern Caledonia county in VT. Once you head down in elevation it drops fast. Some places I groom on our trail system below 1500’ have maybe 10”.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Id say we have 6-10" of rock hard snow on the ground. 325 gallons of sap pulls like 325,000 gallons of sap in this stuff, even with chains on all 4 corners of the Kubota. The turkeys are desperate and eating every burdock in sight. The deer seem to really be in trouble, but we cut about 15 acres on the farm this winter, so its easy to see 10-15 deer eating tops every night now.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
The sap started to run, as it always does. We pulled a little more than a gallon per tap in the first run, so I'm happy with that for now. 1st boil tomorrow night, which won't accomplish much. Saturday morning we'll get after it and make our first syrup of the year - Sunday we'll be back after the trout....

mowbizz

Reaction score
The snow is hard enough that the 65lb old goat can walk on top of it, which results in the findings in the bottom pic:

That’s my worry this winter...I killed a coyote during deer season but I’m sure the rest of the pack has been harassing what little deer herd we have in my area. Wherever they are holed up I’m sure there’s carnage of that sort.

270 bdl

Reaction score
The snow is all gone here. At the most we probably had 8-10 inches. The coldest we had was -6. Snowing now and cold. western pa.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
The sap started to run, as it always does. We pulled a little more than a gallon per tap in the first run, so I'm happy with that for now. 1st boil tomorrow night, which won't accomplish much. Saturday morning we'll get after it and make our first syrup of the year - Sunday we'll be back after the trout....

Looking good. There aren’t as many of us left burning wood and sending the steam through a cupola. How many taps do you have?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
That’s my worry this winter...I killed a coyote during deer season but I’m sure the rest of the pack has been harassing what little deer herd we have in my area. Wherever they are holed up I’m sure there’s carnage of that sort.
Exactly. Even I can walk on the crust in some spots, but the deer are either breaking through or slipping on ice. I think I saw a warmup in the forcast which should help.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Looking good. There aren’t as many of us left burning wood and sending the steam through a cupola. How many taps do you have?
We always laugh at that question. The single biggest challenge in sugaring seems to be knowing how many taps we have. I try to count often, but then a shiny thing grabs my attention and I forget. My dad would tell you we're somewhere between 300 and a million. My count puts us around 800. We'll probably have way more sap than we do wood though.

Latest posts