Smokepole success?

41mag

Reaction score
Anyone fill a tag today?
My son popped a nice doe late afternoon, she did not drop at the shot but left a blood trail a blind man could follow.
Unfortunately, she dove into the nastiest he**hole I've been into in a long time.
Turns out it was a high lung hit, she was dead on her feet but didn't know it.....
Brush a rabbit would have a hard time with, honeysuckle, alders, tree vines and dead wood everywhere.
We finally got to her and took over an hour to get her 100 yards thru that crap.
We're taking a breather by the trail and my son looks at me and says "Are we having a bonding moment yet?" Priceless.....
Got out to the trail head and finally back to the truck, got home and had her hanging by 8:15PM.
Weighed in at 123lbs this morning.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Congrats!

I hunted GMNF yesterday. Didn't cut a buck track until 1:00PM, but it was a big track. I followed him a mile. He laid down 3 scrapes, and bedded twice in a mile. I know it's a long shot, because I'm now 2 days behind him, but I'm going to get back on him first this this morning. His hoof size and stagger absolutely dwarfs the tracks my 8 pointer last year laid down.

If I'm lucky, I'll cut a fresher track from him this morning.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I caught up with him yesterday. Biggest buck I've ever seen in my entire life while hunting. Amazing rack, like 140"+. I got a shot off at him but the bullet didn't find its mark. I'll have the story in my report after hunting season.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Congrats!

I hunted GMNF yesterday. Didn't cut a buck track until 1:00PM, but it was a big track. I followed him a mile. He laid down 3 scrapes, and bedded twice in a mile. I know it's a long shot, because I'm now 2 days behind him, but I'm going to get back on him first this this morning. His hoof size and stagger absolutely dwarfs the tracks my 8 pointer last year laid down.

If I'm lucky, I'll cut a fresher track from him this morning.
How high did you have to get for decent snow? I'm headed there Wednesday, hoping for a little fresh.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I saw anywhere from 1-5" depending on elevation. 5" was at 2,700', 1" at 1,600'. A lot of it isn't going to survive today.
It was snowing really hard at 8pm over 2200ft last night in the southern section of GMMF. Its going to snow a little more on Wednesday.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be really sick on Thursday and Friday this week. I bet I'm so sick I can't even answer the phone. I hope I don't get so sick I just start aimlessly wandering around the wilderness - but I probably will.

Latest posts