Smoked Em

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Made you look!! Just kidding , but it's not what you thought it was going to be. The title is a bit misleading. Anyway........ I have a friend that's been using one of the bee smoker cans for a good number of years on his clothes before hunting. I'm not a big cover scent guy, well not at all actually. I might put some doe piss on my pant leg hoping it may buy me a few extra steps if the wind is at my neck.

With that being said, he sees and shoots a fair number of deer and bear. He is persistent about wind direction in all disclosure. But he swears by smoking his clothes. His style of hunting is more about patience and sitting in a tree or ground blind, I decided I wanted to try it where I spend the majority of my hunting time walking or sitting short sits in different areas while generally on the ground.

I've spent the last couple years thinking about it, and where I hunt it makes sense the deer smell wood smoke all the time. Maybe not in every area, but they smell it while traveling from place to place. Hell I smell it regardless of what mountain I maybe hunting in town.

Anyone else have any experience good or bad using one of these bee smokers?

Last edited:

mowbizz

Reaction score
That’s a good idea...can’t see it hurting. I lit a couple of those “incense stick” attractors in my ladder stand the other day...one for deer and one for bear. They smoked for about an hour+ then I doused them (with spit) when sunset was approaching. Me and my clothing were in the “smoke” part of that time as the wind was changing 180 degrees every minute so I was in the smoke much if the time. I doused them to minimize any movement as the smoke streams these give off are pretty visible and surely a lead doe would spot it. Sure enough at sunset I caught movement just out 30 yds and quickly identified it as a deer. I could see her head and ears then the whole body silhouetted against her background and she did appear to look right at me but only for a moment. She then continued across my field of view as she moved by mostly obscured from view...just a glimpse a couple times as she went by and out of sight.
5 minutes later another, then 5 minutes later another but they never looked my way and followed in the lead doe’s footsteps. The smoke definitely blew in their direction (bedded in the swampy area by a beaver pond) so I can’t say if they were attracted by it or just ignored it. Both incense sticks had a sweet smell to them and the bear attractant was “berries” and the deer one an “all season”

NH Hunter

Reaction score

This is it incase anyone was interested. I just put wood chips from my wood pile in it rather than buying chips or using cherry, hickory or any of the bag chips you can order. My logic with that was might as well use the wood that most people are burning in their wood stove like maple, oak, birch or beech.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I would say anything that is natural to the area, and helps mask your scent would be beneficial. Maybe give you a little time before they spook.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
I have read several articles on this subject and there are hunters that swear by it. I have not personally tried it but have thought about it. How many of you use Ozonics? Does that work?

Latest posts