Sling Options

.270 Pump

Reaction score
Do you prefer a sling on your rifle? If yes what type, leather, nylon, cobra style, padded, custom made etc. Also does anyone have experience with a Rhodesian style sling, it can also be used to steady your arms with an off hand shot.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I primarily still hunt and track so I don't like to have a sling on my gun while hunting. I keep a 1" wide nylon sling in my belt pack for drags or long walks out. It folds up to about the size of a small candy bar.

Browseline

Reaction score
I carry a small nylon sling in my pack. I use it for walking in or out of the woods in the dark or when dragging a deer. It bothers me to have it on the rifle while hunting.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I primarily still hunt and track so I don't like to have a sling on my gun while hunting. I keep a 1" wide nylon sling in my belt pack for drags or long walks out. It folds up to about the size of a small candy bar.
I carry a small nylon sling in my pack. I use it for walking in or out of the woods in the dark or when dragging a deer. It bothers me to have it on the rifle while hunting.
Same here, except my sling is a padded one. I keep it in the back pocket of my coat.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
1" nylon for me as well, which I keep rolled up tight in my belt pack. Last two deer I've got however, I never used it for the gun as it was tough bare ground dragging and I would just carry my gun and jacket 100 yards then go back for the deer. And then repeat too many times to count.

Escout711

Reaction score
I use a big, thick, padded leather sling. Most days I get lazy and leave it right on the rifle. It's a lazy habit, and I know that one day it will cost me a nice buck, but I'm lazy and like to switch up and sling the rifle on my shoulder occasionally, depending on the terrain and situation. Larry Benoit would roll in his grave I'm sure...

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I use a big, thick, padded leather sling. Most days I get lazy and leave it right on the rifle. It's a lazy habit, and I know that one day it will cost me a nice buck, but I'm lazy and like to switch up and sling the rifle on my shoulder occasionally, depending on the terrain and situation. Larry Benoit would roll in his grave I'm sure...
I read in one of Larry's books that he carried his rifle slung over his shoulder most of the time. It was taken off when he believed game was near or during the "death creep".

Escout711

Reaction score
I read in one of Larry's books that he carried his rifle slung over his shoulder most of the time. It was taken off when he believed game was near or during the "death creep".
I guess I'm not so bad then! I tend to use it when I stop and scan with binoculars, when I am crossing a stream or heading up or down steep slippery stuff, and when I meet up with a friend or another hunter.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
If I am going to a tree stand in the dark and using my climber I keep the gun in a soft case, with sling, for pulling up and down with a rope.

Wandling

Reaction score
I made slings for all of my rifles from paracord. They are only 1" or so wide and stay on my shoulder without slipping. I made it long enough to put across my chest when dragging. It also has quick detach swivels.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I sewed on a button that my nylon sling latches onto, so it does not slide off your shoulder. My traps are so big that it always wants to slide off.;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
Just a plain old leather sling that goes on and off throughout the day. Has anybody tried a safari type sling that holds the gun in front ready to mount?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a plain old leather sling that goes on and off throughout the day. Has anybody tried a safari type sling that holds the gun in front ready to mount?
I wore one for many years. It was rubber, went around your back and held the gun in front of you. I used it on my sporterized 1903 Springfield. When I bought my Remington 7600 around 2003 I switched to a regular sling. I can't say I really miss the other one. Now I have gone around full circle and am going to hunt with the Springfield again this season. My first rifle and the only one I really ever needed... Will be using a regular sling now though.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I sewed on a button that my nylon sling latches onto, so it does not slide off your shoulder. My traps are so big that it always wants to slide off.;)
Any more patches in that vest and you'll be in violation of not having enough square inches of orange. I can't throw anything away either. Digging the vintage vest!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Any more patches in that vest and you'll be in violation of not having enough square inches of orange. I can't throw anything away either. Digging the vintage vest!
It's made by Columbia. I keep thinking I will need a new one every year, but it won't die. lol It has been sewn up in a few spots. Maine hunting is tough on your clothes also. Not like walking thru the hardwoods to your tree here in NJ. I tell ya, Columbia made some good clothes years ago. Still have a couple of Goretex jackets that are 35 years old like the vest and still going strong. Don't know how their new stuff is.

Big D

Reaction score
Nice on the patches. Orange is a little faded though. Might have to drop a dime to slow you down a bit.:smile: