Sledder Kills Moose

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted before. I know nothing about snow mobiles. Is there no reverse on them? Maybe back away and give the moose some time to move off or go around?

tobydog

Reaction score
wow...im no expert but some of them do not have reverse i believe. not convinced he would of used it if he did have it ...i have so audio on this laptop though...does he say anything?

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
I’ve seen it before and don’t understand why he would keep getting closer in the first place. My snowmobile doesn’t have reverse, but I wouldn’t have gotten so close to begin with. It’s pretty common to see them in the trails and they don’t want to get off, they usually walk or run down the trail for a while before they turn off, you just have to give them space.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Moose will walk snowmobile trails during periods of extremely deep snow. They begin running when snowmobiles approach and will run long distances before bailing off the trail. With that said, this moose was done with running after having been followed a long ways and stood its ground.

The incident was preventable had the snowmobiles given the animal some space.

jht2224

Reaction score
Maybe he could have waited the animal out, and perhaps that would have been the smarter thing to do. That being said in the spur of the moment he probably assumed the moose would’ve moved off. It didn’t....it charged him and trying not to be Monday morning qb the video is pretty convincing that he was in danger. I’m not agreeing with how things happened but in the same situation it’s sort of you or the moose? I’m sure everyone will say they would have handled it differently and maybe I would have as well. But if an animal charges me and I’m armed it’s the animal every time.

tobydog

Reaction score
Maybe he could have waited the animal out, and perhaps that would have been the smarter thing to do. That being said in the spur of the moment he probably assumed the moose would’ve moved off. It didn’t....it charged him and trying not to be Monday morning qb the video is pretty convincing that he was in danger. I’m not agreeing with how things happened but in the same situation it’s sort of you or the moose? I’m sure everyone will say they would have handled it differently and maybe I would have as well. But if an animal charges me and I’m armed it’s the animal every time.
I would have to agree with you.

Browseline

Reaction score
When you see a moose with ears pinned to their head like that it means it's mad as hell at the very least. We have seen that with cow moose with newborn calves or a calf in the spring, antler hunting, and we always slowly back away and they calm down.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I believe that there is a longer version of this video that shows this guy pushing the moose for quite some time on the trail and not just "stumbling upon it". If it's an altogether different video of a snowmobiler shooting a moose with a glock, then forgive my misinformation. After he shoots the moose, and what's clearly visible in the video, is the trail opening up to a field. The guy could have waited as I do not believe being impatient during your leisure time outweighs a moose just trying to survey. Since the moose was still alive when he drove by, I hope he at least went back to put it down.

AMT1379

Reaction score
I believe that there is a longer version of this video that shows this guy pushing the moose for quite some time on the trail and not just "stumbling upon it". If it's an altogether different video of a snowmobiler shooting a moose with a glock, then forgive my misinformation. After he shoots the moose, and what's clearly visible in the video, is the trail opening up to a field. The guy could have waited as I do not believe being impatient during your leisure time outweighs a moose just trying to survey. Since the moose was still alive when he drove by, I hope he at least went back to put it down.
This may not be the same incident. Here's an article on this most recent video. http://outthere.bangordailynews.com/2014/02/28/outdoor-recreation/moose-attack-or-needless-slaughter-video-raises-ethical-questions/ I think it's interesting it's not clear where this happened. I'd like to know the full story and if the incident was immediately reported to Fish and Game. Looks like there was an older incident in Maine and there was a follow-up investigation as F&W was concerned about violations. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2612157/Couple-recorded-moose-attack-snowmobilng-investigated-chasing-animal.html Either way the lesson seems to be, give a 1,000 pounds of wild muscle, bone and fur it's friggin space.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
This may not be the same incident. Here's an article on this most recent video. http://outthere.bangordailynews.com/2014/02/28/outdoor-recreation/moose-attack-or-needless-slaughter-video-raises-ethical-questions/ I think it's interesting it's not clear where this happened. I'd like to know the full story and if the incident was immediately reported to Fish and Game. Looks like there was an older incident in Maine and there was a follow-up investigation as F&W was concerned about violations. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2612157/Couple-recorded-moose-attack-snowmobilng-investigated-chasing-animal.html Either way the lesson seems to be, give a 1,000 pounds of wild muscle, bone and fur it's friggin space.
To be honest, I think the longer version that I mentioned was maybe in Russia as you can hear them talking on camera as they keep pushing the moose down the trail. The outcome however was identical and a glock. Wish I could find it. Something is fishy here regarding this video, I think it has been edited.

Last edited: