Shot Placement

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You are standing next to a tree and hear a twig snap down in the swamp. Then up out of the swamp comes this giant. He is 50 yards away and your rifle is up and on him.

I aim for red.

What color do you pick?

a-DDH-2016-calendar-deer-photo (1).png

ihunt

Reaction score
It appears he's standing uphill from me? If he's uphill from me then it's orange, but if he's even or below me then I'd take red.

mowbizz

Reaction score
If I could stop shaking and stay calm enough to “pick a spot” and not just see BROWN in the scope, I would go for what he is presenting as center mass...red!

Browseline

Reaction score
I would choose the red dot and give myself a little more margin for error as a lot of my shots are offhand and don't hit exactly where they are intended to.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I would choose the red dot and give myself a little more margin for error as a lot of my shots are offhand and don't hit exactly where they are intended to.
Smart. I always aim for the kill shot with the greatest margin for error. Like you said, you could be a little off, or your rifle could be a little off from the last time you went down on a snowy slope.

JDK

Reaction score
I was going to say the doe but thought better of it.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Would anyone say that you should not shoot because he is on a hill crest?
Not me! There’s a chunk of jacketed, mushrooming, lead going through the top of that front shoulder, through a lung or 2 and rib bones (possibly more shoulder bones or ribs depending on how the bullet acts) on the other side...plenty of backstop!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I'm aiming for the red in that scenario all day. I've hit a number of them in that vicinity, some seemed dead before they hit the ground, others went 75 yards. I hit one halfway between purple and blue once probably due to a combination of factors (he was on the move, had begun to quarter more to me than I recognized being that he was pretty long deer). He only went a 100 yards or so but required a follow-up shot. Hit one lung and the liver.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm aiming for the red in that scenario all day. I've hit a number of them in that vicinity, some seemed dead before they hit the ground, others went 75 yards. I hit one halfway between purple and blue once probably due to a combination of factors (he was on the move, had begun to quarter more to me than I recognized being that he was pretty long deer). He only went a 100 yards or so but required a follow-up shot. Hit one lung and the liver.
Yes, good chance he is going down, but I've seen them run off crashing into things even with that shot.