Shortening a wood stock

Sgt Mike

Reaction score
Cut mine and installed a Morgan adjustable pad. I have been surprised how many folks use 7600's in AL.
Mike

lester2

Reaction score
Dave Pidgeon in New Haven, VT did mine about 10 years ago. Measured me, cut the stock and added a Limbsaver pad. Great job and reasonable fee though I can’t recall exactly how much it was...

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
My friend who does custom finish wood work for the 1% on the coast, said he would love to do it, so I’m sending it to him. He’s super picky as he’s built cabinets for the likes of the Bush’s and Dupont’s, etc. Said it would be no problem. If it comes out good, I’m going to send him another, then see about my browning.

Sgt Mike

Reaction score
Jeremy,
That 7600 probably is curved at the base. You will need a new straight pad.
Mike

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Jeremy,
That 7600 probably is curved at the base. You will need a new straight pad.
Mike
Im having him cut it to match the curve, then having him sand the existing plate to fit. If it doesn’t come out to my liking, I’ll do a straight cut and add a straight pad like the limbsaver. Since the imbsaver is about an inch thick, I’ve got some room for error if this curved cut and match doesn’t work out. Hope all is well.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Got the stock back. He did a good job. Gun fits and pulls up great with a coat. Good sight picture in the scope, no choking up, just a full view. Fits on par with the compact bolt I got this summer. Those guns will be go to rifles for this season for deer. They are roughly a 12.5 LOP, where most stock rifles are about 13.5. My new 7600 stock set in synthetic with a straight comb is 14 inches! Almost unusable unless you are real lanky and 6’5”. Not sure what I’ll do about that.

Finally get a chance to shoot next week.

longbow

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with it. Nothing worse than too long a stock, getting caught up on your clothing at the moment of truth!lol

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
0568AA12-454F-4BCA-868E-E77CB19D345B.jpg
Glad you are happy with it. Nothing worse than too long a stock, getting caught up on your clothing at the moment of truth!lol
I think it came out pretty well.

I’ve never had it happen in the field getting fetched up, but I can’t tell you how annoying that gun has been in the past snapping it up, then having to slide up on the stock towards the scope. I thought it might have been the eye relief or the fact that it’s a compact scope and shorter, but when I popped it on another gun with a shorter stock, no issues.

Last edited: