Shortening a wood stock

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
As my hunting rifle collection increases and I have the opportunity to shoulder lots of rifles back to back, I realize how poorly my 7600 fits me.

My compact rifles (ruger and browning) pull up so well, no adjusting on the stock, just open eyes and have great sight picture through my scopes. My new to me 336 has the same stock length as both my compacts which is why it fits well.

I notice my 7600 I need to pull up, then choke up to the scope to get full sight picture. Scope is as far back as it goes and the EP adjusted. Think I need to cut this down or have it done. What is done for the buttplate to fit?

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I'm not at home to look but I don't believe it is as simple as making a straight cut. They have a curve to the buttplate.

Not a woodworker but it might be easier to get a 870 youth stock if they fit.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
As my hunting rifle collection increases and I have the opportunity to shoulder lots of rifles back to back, I realize how poorly my 7600 fits me.

My compact rifles (ruger and browning) pull up so well, no adjusting on the stock, just open eyes and have great sight picture through my scopes. My new to me 336 has the same stock length as both my compacts which is why it fits well.

I notice my 7600 I need to pull up, then choke up to the scope to get full sight picture. Scope is as far back as it goes and the EP adjusted. Think I need to cut this down or have it done. What is done for the buttplate to fit?
Mark Schreen from BWB cuts all his down. In fact, he would be a great source if you want to talk to someone about customizing a 7600 for a shorter framed shooter. I believe he has many modifications he has done to his. If I ever pick up another 7600 I will likely do the same.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Looks like 20 gauge only fits due to the receiver being thicker on the 12.

Also the reports from the guys that have made the switch feel the drop is way too low for scopes, maybe too low for even a peep.

I think ill check with a local gunsmith about the cutting if they are comfortable with it.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I was thinking of something else. Disregard.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
I was thinking about waking an inch off mine also. I was just going to square it up on the chop saw and go for it.

NY Hunter

Reaction score
I have shortened all my 760 stocks to get a good fit. My sleeve length in a dress shirt is 35/36". I have them done professionally so there are no mistakes.
For my arm length I have the stocks cut and pad added for a finished LOP of 13.5". Great when wearing a bulky coat. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I am a 34/35, therefore I always try for compact or youth models in rifles and even my shotguns. I’ll check with our local gun shop to see what they think and let you guys know.

actually if anyone recommends anyone semi
local here in Maine or New England, let me know as I don’t mind shipping it out either.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
I have shortened all my 760 stocks to get a good fit. My sleeve length in a dress shirt is 35/36". I have them done professionally so there are no mistakes.
For my arm length I have the stocks cut and pad added for a finished LOP of 13.5". Great when wearing a bulky coat. You won't be sorry.
Thats when it becomes a problem as soon as you put your heavier coat on.

Big D

Reaction score
I've always looked at it this way, peep sight or scope. Close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, open eyes and see where your at. Hopefully will be a match. If you think you need to shorten just scribe from the original curve. Go 1/4 inch at a time if you're not sure how much you need to take off. A jig saw and a little sanding should get you there while keeping the contours.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Dad and I have cut all of ours down. I agree that the band saw is a better choice.

My 760 has a metal butt plate that had a curve, so we had to trace that correctly. The 7600s were straight- though you want to keep the correct angle.
A little tape on the finish so it doesn't chip and cut away.

The plate won't fit correctly, so you may need to drill new holes to screw it in. We were able to sand down the plastic.

I'll admit, not super pretty but functional.