Short trip report - Eastern ME

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Hoping this short report goes through, have had access issues to posting and starting threads.

Last week I headed to a familiar place in eastern ME for a quick trip with some old friends at camp. The trip here gets shorter and with less people every year, but the core from 1999 still prevail. I got to camp on Thursday night and it was just starting to snow when I got off in Medway. When I got to camp the ground was starting to get covered. Camp was the same, wood stove roaring, a new guest was present and we told some great stories and sucked down beers until about quarter past one.

Daylight came early and camp Dad made us a great breakfast while we hydrated and got ready to go. They would hunt from camp, I would head out a ways to check roads and end up where I tracked my 8 pointer down about 4-5 years ago. Not much was moving, little for tracks but the first snow does that and they didn’t have time to get going. I hit the woods and found the deer staying close to their beds during the storm. The snow picked up and I tracked a set of does in hopes of seeing a buck. Saw the does, but no buck. Tracks were getting covered pretty hard.

Didn’t get into much after the snow stopped, only got a couple inches but hit a few spots and covered some ground. Not much for buck tracks, like none.

Ended up in an area where my friend has an enormous buck on camera. Hate to guess how big, but I figured being a few miles in the vicinity wouldn’t hurt. I walked down an old grassy road and picked up a buck track. It was really hard to follow as the snow was thin, but he brought me to a cool place where I found this. Pictures doesn’t do it justice. Impressive for Maine standards.

Looked a bit for the match but stayed on my buck. Eventually lost him in the firs with hardly any snow.

Got back on the grassy road and headed east and went a half mile until I got to a decent spot to get back in the woods. Made a bit of noise getting through the line of firs and saw 2 deer go. Just saw them streak but couldnt make them out. I held my ground, but couldn’t see them or them me. I waited a bit and started walking through the thick stuff and with my grunt tube on my binocular harness on my left shoulder I grunted and walked breaking sticks in the dry fir, and when popped out enough to see into the better woods there stood a wide racked buck broadside 30 yards away as clear as day with the white background. He almost looked orange and fake. I snapped up the gun, took of the safety, and took a look at his horns. Wide 6 pointer, nearly any brow times, and short times all around. He was frozen and I had all day to check him out as he still didn’t make me out or smell me. I felt like I had won a battle, and decided that was good enough and let him go knowing at season end I may regret the decision. He was likely 175. He stomped a few times, then turned and stiff legged it out of there. That pretty much made the season for me.

Pretty cool that in a fairly close area, got a nice shed, tracked two bucks, saw one, and saw some great bucks on camera. All for a place we have pretty much written off. Got recharged for that trip and the season. We hunted hard Saturday tracked a buck, a friend saw 7 does, and generally had a grand ol time.

Off to Jackman tomorrow for 10 days. 12 inches of snow on the ground at the border. Hope this isn’t a repeat of last year!

Attachments

longbow

Reaction score
That’s cool you passed one up already! Nice antler you found. With all that snow you have a good chance to run into something bigger! Good luck

Big D

Reaction score
Very nice. Look forward to your rest of the season. I won't be too far from you next week then further north till thanksgiving. Good luck. Guess I'll have to figure out the picture posting after that.

Browseline

Reaction score
Nice shed and report! You did very well to get that close to a standing buck. Good luck the rest of the season.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Good luck in Jackman!

Still hoping I can get up at some point in the next two weeks...

Grandkid

Reaction score
Great report, antler and encounter with a buck at close range.

Good luck this week.

Roger_

Snowed

Reaction score
Catch and release deer hunting! Congrats on a great trip. Good luck in Jackman and please keep bringing us along.