short one today

Reaction score
zoe and i waited until legal in the truck today......had a good field to cross, often deer in the lower corner at first light....so we wanted to sneak in with good light

nothing in the field, headed up onto my favorite little hardwood knoll......kingman cruncher was up on it many moons ago, when he lived closer to me

crossed a small stream and just started up an old skidder trail.....bumped one, took a few lazy bounds away, grunted a couple of times before we moved in.......settled on sitting on a tree between two trails that they use, about 100 yards off the field.....top of the knoll with a nice hardwood plateau just behind us

once we cleared leaves and went over shooting lanes, etc.....i let off a short, light rattling sequence.....no grunt, no brush, just a little tickle or 3.......took the requisite youth day selfie and settled in

less than 5 minutes later had one move left to right behind us, just out of site about 50 yards over my left shoulder.....i had zoe move around in front of me, expecting it to come down the left hand trail

instead he came back across right to left and started coming right at us.....zoe was able to move onto one knee back on the other side of the tree......i saw him stop 20 yards above us, just behind a small beech......i turned back facing forward and froze.....asked her if she had a shot, she said no....i told her i couldn't move and it was all her

she was on her right knee, left knee up, gun about halfway up.......later she told me he was staring straight at her, she at him......it was literally 1.5-2 minutes of mexican standoff......she told me he then took a step and looked behind a little, she got the gun up, and got the X right on his shoulder pretty quick (he was quartering towards)......she said he looked back at her, she thought he was going to bolt, so she got her spot and squeezed......i turned at the shot and was able to see him on his back, a couple of thrashes with the hind leg......shot wheeled him right around and over onto his back

my kid, of course, let out a "fuck yeah!" and gave me a high 5......he actually stood and took off, looping around right to left and then back to the left, where he came from ,top of plateau......i saw him about 50 yards out, and a few seconds later heard a crash

we waited about 5, and walked up to where he dropped first.....decent blood, lots of kicks.....i found no more blood in the first few steps, so we sat, called my dad out of his bow stand a few towns over......i marked first blood, and after about 10, went straight to where we heard the crash......he was about 60 yards as the crow flies, facing us, stone dead.....

in backtracking, while waiting for my dad, i was able to find most of his route through the leaves....and found no blood

you'll see she hit front of shoulder......bullet went in, quarter size hole in one lung, through one lobe of the liver......muscle plugged the hole pretty quickly, no exit, lots of internal blood, threw a bunch out of mouth and nose when he crashed

hornady lite 12o gr SST out of her 7mm-08......looks like the round held up ok through the shoulder, hopefully the butcher will tell me if the round ended up on the far side of the hide, i didn't find anywhere it went through the ribs though?

either way, the kid got it done with no coaching......which made me happy.....and she got a nice little 113# spike for her first deer!

zoebuck2.jpg

zoedadbuck.jpg

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Hell Yeah ! What A Shot !

The apple doesn't roll far from the tree Yukon !

Congrats to both of you !

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Both your smiles say it all. Congratulations. Very nice buck.

Roger-

WetWool

Reaction score
Way to get it done Zoe! No better feeling than when your kid gets their first one Yukon! Congrats to both!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Great Story! Thank you for sharing. I will have a youth hunter in a couple more seasons and I can't wait.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
That is fantastic - great photo and write up! It is great to see some kids in the woods!

Browseline

Reaction score
Nice shooting! Nice buck! Thanks for the pictures and story and congratulations to you both.