Shooting Tripod

JDK

Reaction score
My father is building a shooting platform and I'd like to get him a tripod to use as a rest. I've been looking at Bog Havoc. Appreciate your thoughts on a decent inexpensive set.

If I were smart I'd frequent yard sales and look for a camera tripod.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't know much about tripod rests, but if I was building a shooting platform I'd incorporate a rifle rest/rail or rest on the bottom of windows, or the like.

JDK

Reaction score
I would have to agree but he is building a platform and than adding a portable "shack" on top.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
My father is building a shooting platform and I'd like to get him a tripod to use as a rest. I've been looking at Bog Havoc. Appreciate your thoughts on a decent inexpensive set.

If I were smart I'd frequent yard sales and look for a camera tripod.
Bog makes good equipment. On our recent bear hunt the guide had a few of that brand’s rest and seat combos as well as a few standalone rifle rests. That said I have a cabelas brand single stick and a bipod for my kids. No complaints.

Tailfeathers

Reaction score
We use them night hunting for coyotes. Its a little different application as our guns are fixed/clamped to the tripod to allow for hands free operation while scanning. I have tried and broken a few Bogs and current use a carbon fiber camera tripod. Ones made for cameras are usually bulkier but more stable so for me it would come down to a few questions. Will he be standing or always sitting? how long will the shots be? and will the tripod stay in the blind or be carried in and out?
Short shots or carried in and out = bog or similar tripod/monopod
longer shots and leaving in blind = quality camera tripod

If you go the camera tripod route do some searching on hogs and predator forums down south those guys use them a lot and have have cracked the code on what works and what doesn't.

JDK

Reaction score
We use them night hunting for coyotes. Its a little different application as our guns are fixed/clamped to the tripod to allow for hands free operation while scanning. I have tried and broken a few Bogs and current use a carbon fiber camera tripod. Ones made for cameras are usually bulkier but more stable so for me it would come down to a few questions. Will he be standing or always sitting? how long will the shots be? and will the tripod stay in the blind or be carried in and out?
Short shots or carried in and out = bog or similar tripod/monopod
longer shots and leaving in blind = quality camera tripod

If you go the camera tripod route do some searching on hogs and predator forums down south those guys use them a lot and have have cracked the code on what works and what doesn't.

Missed this Tailfeathers. Thank you.

I would say that nearly all of his shots should be under 100 yards. That said, there is the potential for a lot longer and knowing Dad....1/2 a mile.

I don't believe Dad will be walking and honestly a very short walk to the stand.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one last year and looked at Bog and Trigger stick. I was leaning toward the Trigger Stick but never pulled the trigger so I still don't have one? Glad to hear your dad is still out there hunting. Would you mind telling us his age?

Latest posts