shooting range - anywhere in the woods?

Walks in woods

Reaction score
Posted a few weeks ago stating I was new to Maine from NJ, the only public state run gun ranges are over 2 hours away. I am in the Ellsworth area. Am I allowed to go into legal hunting woods and shoot paper targets? Or can anyone recommend a shooting range withing an hour of Ellsworth?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Posted a few weeks ago stating I was new to Maine from NJ, the only public state run gun ranges are over 2 hours away. I am in the Ellsworth area. Am I allowed to go into legal hunting woods and shoot paper targets? Or can anyone recommend a shooting range withing an hour of Ellsworth?

Could head north up towards Amherst aurora and go out route 9 a bit. There is paper company land and dirt roads where you should be able to find a safe spot that no one will bother you.

WetWool

Reaction score
KC is right on for your location and it will give you a chance to do a little exploring. Pick up a maine gazateer if you haven't already done so. My son and I always head to the Deer Lake area Columbus weekend for birds but always bring the deer rifles to double check. Plenty of pits off stud mill road, alligator lake road, 32-00-00 where you wont get hassled. A can of fix a flat not a bad idea either just to be safe. Great area.

Walks in woods

Reaction score
Wet wool- thank you for that information.

Longbow - So far, all is good. I am not directly in ellsworth, but close enough to go grocery shopping. I work for Uncle Sam doing computer stuff. Weird, I know, leave NJ to work in ME for computers, but it's been a great experience so far.

Also, for anyone who might view, my decision on rifle to buy was a 30-30

MGK

Reaction score
When I was in college I would go shoot in an old gravel pit off 177 in Penobscot. Never had an issue. Only thing is my senior year some kids went down there and made a huge mess. I doubt the land owner was very happy. I can give you directions if you’re interested. It’s about 25 minutes outside of Ellsworth

Walks in woods

Reaction score
Was out shooting it today, found a few near by ranges with the help of yall replies!

Chose the 30-30 to get away from the scope, dont need another pump anything so the 760 was out and bolt action iron sights is either WWII or african safari caliber and prices.