Shooter Buck's 2019 Week 3 Recap

Shooter Buck

Reaction score
After a great week one we had a cousins wedding during week two that kept us out of the woods. I was finally back at it Wednesday morning. We had some lingering patchy snow with a fresh dusting from the night before to work with. It was good to see where everything had been but it was tough conditions to track. I ended up just following some old tracks up behind camp on to a ridge. There was some good sign and even some bear tracks that were still out. I worked my way along the side of the ridge for a while before deciding to head back up top and loop back to camp. I was about in the same area where Pine-lock shot his buck when I jumped a deer. It ran a little half circle around me and ended up stopping. I was able to see a small fork when it stopped. It never really gave me any good shots and I wasn't really planning on shooting him anyway.
IMG_5273.JPGIMG_5274.JPG

Thursday I was heading out with a friend and I was going to work one side of a mountain and he was going to work the other. He dropped me off and I headed in. The snow was now frozen and crunchy. I was working my way up slowly with the light still low. I thought I heard something up above me but I couldn’t really see over the rise so I decided to keep moving in hopes of seeing it. I moved up a little and a deer jumped off to my right more downhill from where I heard the movement. I got a quick look at a doe and soon after saw another up above me. I was hoping to be between a buck and his doe but no luck. They moved off into a valley and up the other side. I followed their tracks down through the valley and every oak tree in there was raked clear of snow in a ten yard circle. The path up out of the valley was beaten to bare ground. I got up to the ridge I wanted to follow to the top of the mountain. It was a good spot where I could see way down to a flat and look for deer as I move up. I went about 30 yards up and found a good spot to sit and watch over the flat below for a while. I took off my pack, sat down and pulled out my grunt call. I gave a few grunts and instantly heard crunch crunch crunch coming towards me from downhill on the ridge where I had just came from. I turned and watched for the deer to appear. I was afraid he was going to hit my scent where I had just walked. I heard him coming and then he would stop. Each time he stopped I was expecting to hear him blow and run off. Finally he appeared and I saw his antlers sticking out by his ears. Good enough for me. I would count points and inches later. He stopped right behind some brush not offering a shot. It seemed like forever but he finally stepped out and I put one right through his front shoulder quartering into his vitals. He ran towards me and veered downhill and I got off another shot. I knew he wasn’t going to make It far. I watched him make it half way down and he tumbled over. I got on the radio but my friend couldn’t hear me as he was around the other side of the mountain. Since we had a bunch of guys tagged out I called back to camp for them to come join in on the drag. After making all this racket I heard something moving down below me on the flat. I was thinking there was no way my buck got up. I couldn’t see anything and decided to just get down to where I saw my buck fall. I found him right where I thought he would be. I assume there was another deer down there moving around. IMG_5276 - Copy.JPGIMG_5277 - Copy.JPGIMG_5282 - Copy.JPGIMG_5291 - Copy.JPGIMG_5295 - Copy.JPG

We dragged him 1000 yards back to the truck. My cousins three year old was able to join us for his first drag. He mostly helped by riding the deer and saying “yee haw” and “faster faster” as we dragged him out.

IMG_5321.JPG

He ended up weighing 148lbs on the game pole back at camp. I found my barnes TTSX 120 grain 7-08 bullet on the outside of the far ribcage after it smashed a shoulder and went through the side of the heart and some other organs. I was impressed with the performance as this was the first deer I had taken with anything less than 30cal.
IMG_5413.JPG

Last edited:

Shooter Buck

Reaction score
We were down to three guys in camp with tags on Friday. My little brother went out to spot he hadn’t checked yet this season and found a woods roads covered with scrapes. He was sitting when a few deer came by not offering a shot. He had a doe tag and has no problem filling it but just wasn’t able to get a shot. A little while later he sees another deer. This time he sees a huge rack headed right towards him. It stopped facing behind a tree with only a nose and a main beam showing. He said he could see a really thick 8 point rack. The buck then turned and walked straight away never coming out from behind the tree. He decided to move a little to hopefully get a better shot at where the deer were moving. Not much later another deer comes in. He said if it was a doe he was going to pass in hopes the big buck would follow. The deer stopped and he saw some antler and figured he was ready to break his four year drought. His 45-70 blew apart the deers heart and he didn’t make it far. I was awakened from my bunk with the good news and threw on my boots to go help. It was an easy short drag back downhill to the truck. He weighed 95 lbs back at camp and we had 2 deer hanging on the pole. This was the first year my two brothers, my dad and I had all shot deer.
IMG_5377.JPGIMG_5401.JPG

We wrapped up the weekend with a few more sightings but no more deer. Another great season at camp with good food family and friends. Even a few deer this year.

Last edited:

BDB

Reaction score
Great story and congrats on the bucks. Sounds like an amazing time at camp with family!!

RussellBro2

Reaction score
That sled is getting some use! Like the looks of that marlin! Sounds bad like a fun hunt