Shockwave

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Here's an update on this one. I scrapped the shockwaves this year, and went with the Barnes Expanders. All copper, hollow point, 300gr. Ethan shot his deer (which was small, to be fair - around 75-80lbs I'd guess) quartering to him at 50yrds. The bullet went in between the front shoulder and brisket, traveled the entire length of the deer, and ended up in a rear ham. Fantastic performance. Same with my fathers doe...broadside, 40yrds, and she was losing chunks of lung the size of a golf ball on her 40yrd sprint.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
damn that's a nice looking after pic. Always liked the barnes bullets, might have to make the switch

jht2224

Reaction score
I also ditched the shockwaves and went to the Barnes....I was very pleased with the results, dropped a 170lb 8 pt in his tracks. Bullet passed straight through, massive damage.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
And even thought the idea of lead fragments in the meat is still debated, I'm confident there's no lead in these deer. I don't have a scale here, but I'm pretty sure there was almost no weight loss in the slug.

JDK

Reaction score
That Barnes looks great.

I can tell you that there was no lead in my deer either. The bullet never expanded, only lost it's tip.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
That Barnes looks great.

I can tell you that there was no lead in my deer either. The bullet never expanded, only lost it's tip.
Funny, but you're right. None of mine ever expanded or even lost the tip. They just bent the tip to the side.
This 300gr bullet is all copper and these mushroomed "petals" are strong and sharp. Its not hard to understand how they do so much damage. Interestingly though, I didn't have to trim away very much around where the slug hit the rear quarter. It was almost as if it cut like a broadhead back there, instead of demolishing like a lead bullet. I only have 2 deer to use as my sample size, but so far, I'm impressed. I'd also consider them for my rifles...

VTHunter08

Reaction score
And even thought the idea of lead fragments in the meat is still debated, I'm confident there's no lead in these deer. I don't have a scale here, but I'm pretty sure there was almost no weight loss in the slug.
Next year I hope to have more experience with the barnes muzzleloader sabots (that's as long as I can hit the damn things), but I know with their rifle bullets that's the big selling point, all copper, quick expansion, and 99% weigh retention. Pretty awesome, can't wait to try them.

JDK

Reaction score
Just to beat a dead horse.

2018 bullet.

file-33.jpg

JDK

Reaction score
Well, I was reminded by my son to change bullets and just ordered a pack of Barnes Expanders and T-EZ. I'm hoping the Expanders shoot well in my TC but whichever shoots best will be used. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Only took me 2 years to decide.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Well, I was reminded by my son to change bullets and just ordered a pack of Barnes Expanders and T-EZ. I'm hoping the Expanders shoot well in my TC but whichever shoots best will be used. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Only took me 2 years to decide.
You have company. I am making the same switch this year. I had been putting it off just because I had lots of shockwaves still around. But the history of poor performance was pretty clear and I have a few days coming up in the Adirondacks for early muzzle loader coming up. Now was as good a time as any.

41mag

Reaction score
Decided to try BH 209 this year along with Harvester crush rib sabots.
Did a trial fit at home and they seemed to load easier than the Shockwaves I'd been using.
Also has some leftover XTP in a black sabot, weighed them up and found them to be 240gr, same as the .45cal XTP's I got to go with the crush ribs.
Went out to sight in as I got a new Burris for the Impact.
Decided to use the leftover XTP's up in the crushribs first to get on paper, then work up charges to best accuracy.
First one down the tube went soooo easy, but missed the target. Ditto for the second shot.
Brought the target to 25yds, pulled the breech plug and "bore sighted" the scope to the target.
Third try = misfire, just a pop from the primer.
I remember using Powerbelts years ago and having them migrate towards the muzzle as they loaded real easy in my old Black Diamond, so I dropped the ramrod down the tube and found the sabot/bullet about 5" off the charge.
BH 209 needs to be compressed to light off (so I've read) so I pulled the plug, dumped the charge and pushed the sabot out the rear.
Turns out my leftover bullets were 44CAL, not 45 cal as the crushribs were made for!!!
Explained alot.... Loaded my new 45 cal XTP, and pow, on the paper, dialed it in and got decent groups.
Ran out of light but 90gr of 209 with an XTP is looking good so far.
Moral? Never assume anything, always check your sh*t before you touch one off.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Two (2) 777 pellets, 250 gr. Shockwave. Deer at 40 yards. Broke one shoulder and found in the chest cavity.

Thought?

View attachment 17484
I helped butcher 3 deer this weekend , all were shot with 2 50 gr. 777 pellets and 250 gr. Shockwaves. All were chest/ shoulder shots , all pass thru. Judging by the exits I would say they all expanded. Maybe there was a bad batch out there.

JDK

Reaction score
Maybe. Thankfully I don’t need to hunt with a muzzleloader this year.