Shockwave

JDK

Reaction score
I had just about zero expansion again so I am officially done with the 250 grain shockwave. Yup, 2 shots and 2 dead deer but I am not impressed.

My son shot a doe yesterday with a 50 cal hornady SST (red tip) with similar results. It was a 20 yards shot and the exit hole was slightly bigger than a a baseball. The deer ran about 10 yards and collapsed.
Congratulations Jake!!!!!!!!!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I had just about zero expansion again so I am officially done with the 250 grain shockwave. Yup, 2 shots and 2 dead deer but I am not impressed.

Congratulations Jake!!!!!!!!!
yeah that concerning, and real life experience. Most folks are so concerned with accuracy, but performance is critical. That this round is essentially, the SST, there is similar concerns and reports. I’ll follow this closely because I am down to the end of my shockwave supply.

Big D

Reaction score
I introduced a friend of mine to the Barnes bullets this year. He called me the other day and said it was the first deer he's ever shot that dropped in its tracks. When the smoke cleared he figured he better get looking. Nope. Bang flop. Unfortunately no bullet to recover.

JDK

Reaction score
I introduced a friend of mine to the Barnes bullets this year. He called me the other day and said it was the first deer he's ever shot that dropped in its tracks. When the smoke cleared he figured he better get looking. Nope. Bang flop. Unfortunately no bullet to recover.
I'm going Barnes in 2019 if I can get them to shoot.

JDK

Reaction score
maybe it has to do with barrel twist/stabilization.
I tend to think that the bullet may be too heavy constructed for the velocity. I'm using 2-50 grain pellets and a 250 grain shockwaves. Dead nuts accurate in my Omega.

Escout711

Reaction score
I tend to think that the bullet may be too heavy constructed for the velocity. I'm using 2-50 grain pellets and a 250 grain shockwaves. Dead nuts accurate in my Omega.
Yellow tip.
Yeah, the yellow tips should give you the expansion, the blue ones are the bonded. I got behind this year, I planned on switching from Shockwaves to something better, I guess I will switch next year LOL. Taking a look at these right now...

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/muzzleloader/products/452-controlled-fracturing-muzzleloader-265gr-bullet?variant=28146206856

JDK

Reaction score
The bullet I took out of the deer looks just like the shockwave but the tip is gone. That (tip) was found in the shoulder I hit. 2 shots, 2 dead deer but not a single drop of blood and I recovered each bullet.

the bullets outdoorsman posted also interest me.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
One of the guys at camp shot a doe yesterday at 125 yards. 300gr Hornady sst with 3 pellets. The bullet hit 3" below the spine, passed through the deer, and dropped her in her tracks.

The exit wound was the size of my index finger.

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I can tell you for free the 50cal 250gr are deadly on 1" saplings! Found that out 4 times this weekend :confused:

JDK

Reaction score
I can tell you for free the 50cal 250gr are deadly on 1" saplings! Found that out 4 times this weekend :confused:
Now I'm very confused. Would that be considered a brush gun or not????:D

bootstrap

Reaction score
i shoot the sst 250 and xtp 240. I ahve also had good results shooting the cheap shot all leads. the sst i have must be several years old. maybe they were good in the beginning and later runs were bad. or they didnt sell enough of the bonded ones and packed them instead with the yellow tips.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I'll have an update on my experiences soon when I have a little more time to post - but I will say this, the Barnes Expander is my answer. Impressive performance.