Sheep Hunt

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Yeah but my 6.5cm makes me look like a WAY better shot than I am. These are FOUR shot groups from 100 and an 8 shot group from 250 off an improvised rest. All factory ammo out of a Ruger American predator
View attachment 22212View attachment 22213View attachment 22214View attachment 22215
Unicorns and pixie dust Shawn! Are those MOA groups at 100 yards? I didn't think those were possible. Must be Harry Potter guiding those in for you!

Harry Potter helped me drop a mulie buck at 315 yards (range finder verified). He tipped over in 20 yards of where he was hit with 129 gr bullet with a baseball sized exit wound.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I think I would break out my dad’s 300 Weatherby mag Mark five, for a sheep hunt, just sits in the safe otherwise!
I would break out my dads Ruger #1 or his Remington 300 win mag ( a nose buster).

Roger-

Meatseeker

Reaction score
The rest of the quote was just obligatory hunter bravado. I didn't think it added anything to what I was commenting on. (Sorry about the '.' I mean't '!!!!')

Your point is fair, and I have been unfair to NH Hunter here. For all of our disagreements, he has never expressed insecurity about his shooting ability.
No... it was what happened. Based on real experience. Not conjecture, not bravado, just experience, and hours of shooting practice at distance. I simply gave my actual experience with trying to shoot game at a long distance. Not a bear at 42 yards.

It was you, someone who has never shot a 6.5 CM, seen what it does on the business end in, decided to chime in, and based on pure speculation, or maybe some "I tell you so bravado" who decided to make a judgement on the effectiveness of a hunting caliber of which you actually do not know jack shit about.

I simply was offering my experiences to a member who asked about a good rifle/caliber of a sheep hunt. I never told him that the 6.5 cm was the panacea. I told him that it was very good option, but that any big game caliber would be great as long as he was comfortable shooting it.

The only thing I regret in this post is ever making it. I was simply trying to share experience with a fellow member who asked a question. But somehow the forum troll sucked me into a pissing contest.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
This is a good thread, with good info. Unnecessary drivel has been removed.
Please keep sharing quality info and your experiences.

People who do not, and who incite others, will be given a break from HC.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Hello All:

I was looking through the threads and to be brutally honest most bolt action rifles will take a sheep in Alaska. The biggest issue you will face is hunting high altitude and the mountainous terrain. I'd start to get in shape, so to speak. Lots of cardio and do some go rucking. I chatted with a fellow hunter who has hunted high altitude game all over the world( with specialty bolt action pistols to boot) and he lives in Missouri. He recommended lots of jogging with a daypack filled.

Just my two cents.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Hello All:

I was looking through the threads and to be brutally honest most bolt action rifles will take a sheep in Alaska. The biggest issue you will face is hunting high altitude and the mountainous terrain. I'd start to get in shape, so to speak. Lots of cardio and do some go rucking. I chatted with a fellow hunter who has hunted high altitude game all over the world( with specialty bolt action pistols to boot) and he lives in Missouri. He recommended lots of jogging with a daypack filled.

Just my two cents.
yes thanks - my shape should be ok. The altitude was a real concern initially. Where I am going the mountains max out at 5,000 feet. I have no issue with the altitude until I get above 7000 feet. That does not mean I don't get winded and exhausted but i will work through that. Sleeping at 9000 feet is uncomfortable to me but they say that goes away after 2-3 days.

I agree a real wide group of bolts/calibers are perfect for sheep. I am hopeful to go after elk and moose (maybe caribou and bear) within the next decade too. I think I am settling in on the Tikka or X Bolt and now am looking at scopes - Leupold seem to be great quality and a lot more affordable than the Swaro, trijicon and Zeiss. I know, and will, pay for good glass but I am curious if the extra 3-5X what the leupold price is for the others is that significant a jump in quality.

JDK

Reaction score
I have hunted out west several times. Personally, I'd invest in a great set of binoculars and a good pair of hiking boots. You may scoff but if I were buying a Leupold scope today, it would be a fixed power.

I have killed deer, bear, elk, moose, hogs, and caribou with a 308 Winchester. Some were close, some were not. Never left me feeling lacking. I'd feel exactly the same with a 270, 30-06, 7 mags, 7-08, or 6.5 Creed. Can't say that about the cheap binoculars I had.

I said before and I say it again. What you shoot is no where near as important as some other things.

Big D

Reaction score
Get yourself a Jarrett and be done with it. Maybe .280 or 7mm 08.

Last edited:

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I have hunted out west several times. Personally, I'd invest in a great set of binoculars and a good pair of hiking boots. You may scoff but if I were buying a Leupold scope today, it would be a fixed power.

I have killed deer, bear, elk, moose, hogs, and caribou with a 308 Winchester. Some were close, some were not. Never left me feeling lacking. I'd feel exactly the same with a 270, 30-06, 7 mags, 7-08, or 6.5 Creed. Can't say that about the cheap binoculars I had.

I said before and I say it again. What you shoot is no where near as important as some other things.
I completely agree with you. I have most of the other stuff figured out ironically. Completely agree with the bino's and boots. I do have to figure out the pack system too I know that is critical too. I have a pair of Zeiss that I spent a bundle on and have loved them for years. the reason for the post is really just that I have never hunted long distance and with a scope. People do this with bows and blackpowder so part of me tells me to just bring along my existing rifles with open sights. But how much would that suck not being able to take a poke at 200 yards at a big Dall 8 days in? In addition, there is nothing like the expectation of buying a new gun and getting all kinds of feedback.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Get yourself a Jarrett and be done with it. Maybe .280 or 7mm 08.
Big D - if I don't figure it out soon your 308 is coming with me! Thanks for the thought the I will look into those too.

Big D

Reaction score
While my 308 is close to being a Jarrett it would need a serious upgrade in glass.:smile: