Set up a stand and created a mock scrape

bigbore442001

Reaction score
This afternoon Dad and I set up a stand for next Thursday's opener for the muzzleloader. Also, used a Code Blue Grave Digger dirt package about forty yards from my stand on a nice run. We will see what happens at the end of the week .

landscaper

Reaction score
made a scrape myself Friday after seeing one in there.went this a.m.(mon) he was already checking it out.lots of prints.hung a dripper over it as well.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
After an unsuccessful AM hunt today I checked the mock scrape. No action and some leaves fell into it further validating no deer activity.

BDB

Reaction score
I made one this AM and put a camera on it. Used code blue as well. Hopefully it gets a sniff or two :)

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I am out the door and shortly in my stand. I shall put up a trail camera on the main run where my stand is to see what is going on.

BDB

Reaction score
Good luck!!! I am doing the same myself in 10 mins. Supposed to be windy as hell, hope my tree isn't swaying too bad :)

BDB

Reaction score
Swaying was putting it mildly for me!! No deer spotted but I'll be back in the tree at 5:30 freezing my a$$ off :)

Escout711

Reaction score
Swaying was putting it mildly for me!! No deer spotted but I'll be back in the tree at 5:30 freezing my a$$ off :)
I put a package of Grave Digger in the biggest scrape on a scrape line behind my house. I have a cam on it now, we'll see what stops by in the dark.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
We shall see. I am a bit torn about what to do. These scraps are all new since Tuesday, a couple were made last night. I know some folks say that scrapes are not productive, but I don't have much else to go on right now.
I am learning that scrapes attract deer activity in general. I am seeing does and bucks of all sizes check out real scrapes and mock scrapes. Sometimes at night, but sometimes in the morning. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt scrapes, especially if you find a cluster of them.

I have a buck I call "Tilt" that basically his home range is centered right around my house. He is a 9 pter with a great left side and small right side.
I have hundreds of pics of him from summer on. I have pics of him from my garden and picks of him working his own scrapes and mock scrapes at two different wood lots near my house. His rack isn't great... but I bet he is pushing 200lbs.

He comes to my garden (redneck food plot) nearly every night. Usually around midnight. But the last couple of days around 4:00 am. I am hoping I can catch him in the woodlot behind my neighbors house in the morning soon. Does have been checking his scrapes the last couple mornings.

Anyways... I think you should hunt the cluster of scrapes you found. It think this will be the week to catch one on patrol in the daylight hours. Sorry for all the rambling.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I appreciate any rambling that helps me out. I hunted that spot today but the wind was not in the right direction. The wind would have carried my scent into the runs that I suspect they are using. So I hunted across the road off the ground. With the rainy conditions it was pretty good to skulk around rather silently.

I did discover a cluster of torn up branches and rubs along a swampy brook. It has been the hottest sign I have seen yet. Unfortunately I am going back to work tomorrow. In a way I wished I had another week off to hunt.

swamprat

Reaction score
The doe from Ct. And the buck from mass I shot this year were both on top of fresh scrapes. I love hunting scrapes!

Latest posts