Semi-Auto Rifles in Pa.

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Just read an article in American Hunter where Pennsylvania may permit Hunting with Semi-Auto Rifles and Air Rifles.

I guess Pa is finally taking a step into the 21st Century. Would really like to see them lift the restriction on Sunday hunting.

Big D

Reaction score
Think I just read something about them voting against it again at the last minute. Strange.

Big D

Reaction score
I had to go back and reread it. Apparently semi's were approved for small game and furbearers but not big game. I've never hunted Penn. but do they think it's going to turn into the wild west? I doubt all the sportsmen are going to run out and buy semi's if it's approved.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I had to go back and reread it. Apparently semi's were approved for small game and furbearers but not big game. I've never hunted Penn. but do they think it's going to turn into the wild west? I doubt all the sportsmen are going to run out and buy semi's if it's approved.
Actually , I cant speak for anyone but myself because I only own semi auto rifles. Three browning Bars and one Rem 742. I would love to go to PA and hunt with a friend of mine that lives there , but I will not go buy a bolt or pump or lever action just to go there. So in my opinion they are losing license revenue and all other revenue from out of state hunters by having that restriction. How much revenue are they losing ? I have no idea. It might not be significant.

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
I didn't look at it that way but you're probably right. I seriously doubt that others that hunt there would suddenly ditch their favorite bolt, lever, pump, etc. and get a semi.

NY Hunter

Reaction score
I've hunted Pa. several seasons years back, they're an odd lot down there. Really resistant to any change, why, is anyone's guess. For a state that closes school on opening day of deer season, which is always the Monday after Thanksgiving, I would think they'd be more open to some change. I never had a problem with the semi-auto law or late season opener, but I always wished they allowed Sunday hunting. I believe that affects the non-resident business somewhat.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Most PA hunters are glad it did not pass. Probably more for tradition then anything. How many mid west states have shotgun only and still sell plenty of tags. So if you choose not to go hunt PA because you dont want to get a different rifle Im sure they are not loosing sleep over it.

Big D

Reaction score
No Sunday hunting! I thought Maine was the only backwards state w/ that old law. Guess not.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Most PA hunters are glad it did not pass. Probably more for tradition then anything. How many mid west states have shotgun only and still sell plenty of tags. So if you choose not to go hunt PA because you dont want to get a different rifle Im sure they are not losing sleep over it.
Oh I'm sure you are right about they aren't losing any sleep over me not going there Mike LOL. You are also right on the mid west states . I was surprised how many are shotgun only. But a fine tuned slug gun with a rifle barrel today is good for 250 yards. I have the slug guns for those states. For the rest of those states if I ever got the chance to hunt elk , I bought a Browning Bar 300 Winchester Mag. Its 30 years old and never been fired. I would think that would be good out to 400 yards. Definitely on my bucket list. But I would also agree that a bolt action is probably the most accurate rifle for long range shots out west. And probably the lightest rifle to carry up and down those steep slopes.

I have owned bolt action , pumps , and lever action shotguns and rifles. I sold them all a few years ago except a Rem 870 I gave to my son. I just never used them.

I never checked , but I think all of Canada is the same way. No semi auto rifles for hunting. But I'm not sure . Maybe with all their new frantic gun laws and gun registration laws , maybe you cant even own one now.

rpc55

Reaction score
I think the semi auto push came from the predator hunting community, and not so much the deer hunters....jmo

MEhunta

Reaction score
No Sunday hunting! I thought Maine was the only backwards state w/ that old law. Guess not.
Nope, Mass has that stupid law to. I hear ya Big D, It drives me nuts when I am in Maine. You can only break so many clays.

Big D

Reaction score
Maybe Maine isn't so backwards in regards to Sunday hunting. Did not realize there were other states in the area against it too. Guess I've got to get out more.