Second Week Bear

silver belly62

Reaction score
** Update**

Got back Sunday evening and for my first bear trip to Maine had a great time. Arrived early Sunday afternoon then sat around the campfire that evening getting to know others in camp before having dinner and some more cold ones afterwards.

Monday afternoon I started out in a ground blind with the bait barrel at about 30 yds, which had been hit hard overnight. Nothing seen that evening however my nephew had seen several that evening but a couple of the bigger ones that he believed were possibly shooters didn't come in until shortly after legal shooting time ended. Sow and two cubs came in the beginning that he got to watch. Another hunter in camp that evening had a nice bear come in but he stayed out and circled the bait but never came in. He was shooting a bow and the bear stayed out just far enough where he didn't have a clean shot.

Tuesday I hunted the same blind in the morning and the afternoon but nothing seen. Another hunter in camp that afternoon shot a male around 140 lbs with bow. My nephew seen the same sow and cubs that evening.

Wed afternoon I was moved to another spot which was a ladder stand. Around 6;30 pm that evening I had a young male approx 140-150 lbs that I passed on as I was looking for something a little bigger. He came in from my far right side circled the bait to check things out, grabbed what he wanted and moved on. Others in camp had a couple that came in shortly after legal time ended.

The next day when the guide went back to my original spot, where I started out at the blind, the bait was hit so he rebaited and pulled the camera. That evening after dinner he showed me the pic's from Wed and there was a shooter bear in there in the morning after day light then later in the afternoon starting at 3:50 pm two different shooter bears had came in off and on until 8:30 pm. I should have definitely stuck it out one more day in the blind lol.

I didn't see any other bears the rest of the week but the baits were hit every evening. My brother in law got moved to a blind around mid week and on the last day he almost connected at last light with a nice boar but couldn't get a clean shot before legal time ended.

Overall had a great time and learned a lot for never hunting bear up there before. Got to hunt some different country and meet some great people. Weather wasn't bad but had several days of rain at different times, some of which was coming down hard, which I think may have affected some of the movement for that week. Also got to test out some new hunting equipment that I had picked up and not used yet (Shannon Bug tamer jacket & head net, Fenix HM50R head lamp, Dryshod knee boots).

Looking forward to another Maine bear hunt in the future, but for now come on November !

Last edited:

silver belly62

Reaction score
Sounds fun despite not connecting with one, but at least you had some activity. Having gone on my first bear hunt this fall, I have a completely different perspective on that type of hunting. I’m not much of a sitter in general, but man the excitement of waiting was intense.
Yes especially that last two hours. We were allowed to hunt mornings if we wanted and the same for then

Bowhunter3030

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. We are leaving Saturday night to head up for the 3rd week. Looks like good weather. I’m pumped

Latest posts