Sebago derby?

Big D

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there fishes it? Usually draws people from all over. I have some friends that usually spend the night out there. Good times. I try to fish Saturday, run home and get back for the cusk bite. Hope to this weekend also. I should probably work Saturday and Sunday but the reality is I really don't feel like it. Strangely enough they don't have a prize category for cusk.:confused:. Good luck to anyone headed out.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there fishes it? Usually draws people from all over. I have some friends that usually spend the night out there. Good times. I try to fish Saturday, run home and get back for the cusk bite. Hope to this weekend also. I should probably work Saturday and Sunday but the reality is I really don't feel like it. Strangely enough they don't have a prize category for cusk.:confused:. Good luck to anyone headed out.

I dont fish the Derby, but live down the street from the lake. Be careful out there, it’s a sketchy winter place. I’ve seen wind move ice sheets that are a mile by mile right across the bay. This year people got trapped on one and they have been seen from satellites. With this new snow covering thin ice, best to be as cautious as you can.

Big D

Reaction score
Definitely can be sketchy for sure. I think from Jordan's to the station is pretty well set up. Big bay, no way. Scouted north from the station last week and there was a consistent 10-12 inches. After the snow I'll be sticking to places I've already been. Kind of sucks that the whole lake doesn't set up as much anymore. Lot's of fun when it does as your not stuck in certain areas.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Definitely can be sketchy for sure. I think from Jordan's to the station is pretty well set up. Big bay, no way. Scouted north from the station last week and there was a consistent 10-12 inches. After the snow I'll be sticking to places I've already been. Kind of sucks that the whole lake doesn't set up as much anymore. Lot's of fun when it does as your not stuck in certain areas.
I’d love consistent ice conditions as I would probably have a shack out there, but it’s too much work at this point. I’m trying to get a day on Moosehead next week. Weather looks perfect.

Earl

Reaction score
Kingman: can you stop by our camp on the way to Greenville and shovel off the roof for me! L Its right on Rt. 16. LOL

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
I’d love consistent ice conditions as I would probably have a shack out there, but it’s too much work at this point. I’m trying to get a day on Moosehead next week. Weather looks perfect.
Totally agree. Shack would be great but I would drag it to shore at the end of every day. Too much work.

JDK

Reaction score
Wow

ice is literally to the powerhead here.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Damn I missed this thread. I fished the derby with two other guys. That open water had frozen shut (mostly) by the weekend Im sure you guys heard. We fished out of Harmon Beach, but I ran down to the South end on the ATV to check in my fish. First two days were pretty tough (we fished Fri too) then a guy I was with unlocked the pattern they wanted. Sunday we caught over 40, with 2 in the slot and many in the 22-26" range. If we had figured out the pattern Fri it could have been epic!

Last edited:

Paul/NH

Reaction score
So, since Ive been jigging for lakers for a few years they have this tendency to show up and run right up to the bait and not take it... you lift it up, they follow, you drop it, they follow, and eventually they lose interest and move on. Once in a while pulling the bait away will trigger a strike. Well, the fish this weekend wanted the opposite. 90%+ of our strikes came by just dropping the jig to the bottom and dead-sticking it once fish showed any interest. And the bites were as subtle as a friggin' crappie. I really wish I had a spring bobber on my laker jigging rod! See the fish on the flasher... and then dropping the jig to the bottom and waiting and paying real, REAL close attention... any little tap on the line, or a little hair of slack, and sometimes you didn't feel any take but had weight when you lifted the bait a bit to "check it"... it could have been a 12" laker or a 28" laker.

Now, if you want the location, or what the jigs we were using were.... :rolleyes:

Big D

Reaction score
That's a great day Paul. We were just southeast of you out by the island. I got out late Saturday afternoon for the cusk bite and camped on the ice to fish Sunday. Laker bite was slow for us but we opted to fish mostly shallow in hopes of catching the winnah! Didn't jig and move as much as I usually would. More of a social trip. Cusk bite was good and we kept a few good ones. One in our group weighed in one laker just below 5lbs. Great time, great weather, and cusk fishing at night with the almost full moon was cool. Didn't really need a flashlight.

[/IMG]

For reference the laker is just shy of 26.

[/IMG]

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Sounds like a great time, except maybe the camping out on the ice. My nice warm room at the Microtel was very welcome! Nice cusk... chowder time!