Season update

jht2224

Reaction score
It’s always been a pleasure to follow all of the different guys on this site. There have been some great bucks harvested over the years and even better stories.

This year was another great year for our crew. We basically hunt with the same 4-5 guys every year, not all family by blood but family none the less. I’m sure most of you have guys in your crew that are like blood. Our crew is very close and I’m so thankful to be able to walk the woods with these guys. We started our season with MA archery....it was a fast start with all 4 of us punching tags in the first few days. My uncle took a small buck and my friend and I both punched doe tags day 1...

My father filled his tag on a great 200lb 8 pt, his biggest MA deer and what a story.
We left him overnight after a sparse blood trail, back at it in the am and 3 hrs later we were rewarded with a great MA trophy. Lesson to self, big bucks can travel a long way, even when fatally hit and hardly bleed...patience is key.

This deer went 600-700 yds with very little blood...if we didn’t know the area as well as we do we would not have found this deer. Turned out to be hit slightly quartering too, barely nicked the heart, smoked one lung and the liver and this buck just kept going. It was tough to stay on the blood but persistence paid off and what a reward that was. One of the best days ever with my dad and uncle.

The drag damn near killed me (this is a theme that I will correct before next year). But at 43 I’m the young guy on the crew, so the drag was mostly my pleasure lol.

From MA we hit N.H. for the ml season and my buddy scored on a small 5 pt the first 15 minutes of the season. There would be more to come from N.H.

Next we hit Indiana in mid November to hunt on 2 farms that we leased for a diy deal. We hit the rut perfectly and it was truly a spectacle out there. All 3 of us saw great bucks and we knocked 2 down..this hunt was a lot of work but a great time...we met some great folks out there and hope to be back. They have some giants out there.

Back to home and MA gun season, with some meat in the freezer and a bunch of buck tags we all planned to be pretty selective. First real snow fall and my buddy dropped a great 10 point, a deer we have a ton of pics of and I have his sheds from a few yrs ago. At least a 4.5 yr old buck, great MA trophy. We took a night to bs and celebrate the harvest but we all knew that there are bigger bucks in this piece we hunt. So we got back to the grind. With the snow I hit it hard in this spot but didn’t connect...the sign we found is really encouraging and we’ve laid off with the hope of some more snow for ML season.

With no hunting on Sunday in MA I had been spending a fair amount of my Sunday’s North of the boarder in N.H. I was concentrated on a very public and heavily hunted piece of ground. Once the snow fell guys just weren’t getting in very far and on the last day of the gun season I took a nice buck, he was pretty beat up and his rack was really broken up...but he was an old stud and I was pumped to have him...two plus hours dragging was tough (if I was in better shape this would have been much easier) but what a great day to spend in the woods with my uncle. We saw 14 deer...that just doesn’t happen in NH to often.

We still have a bunch of MA tags left, and still some great bucks on the cams. We will see how the season wraps up. If I could post pics we have a bunch to post. New format doesn’t seem to work for me. Just wanted to contribute as I have gotten so much enjoyment over the years reading about everyone’s hunts. Best of luck for those of you still grinding it out.

Big D

Reaction score
Wow! You guys are on a never ending hunting trip/season with lots of success. Nice on finding that big Mass. buck. He went a ways on a pretty bad hit.

jht2224

Reaction score
I’ll try and post up the pics tomorrow once I get to the office. It’s been a fun year.....having some venison meatloaf as I type.

Big D

Reaction score
Some great deer there. Thanks for the pictures. That's a great season.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
wow - nice stuff. Heck of a hunting season and you have improved your tech skills as well with the pic posting.

Thanks for posting.