Season recap

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Another great hunting season has come and gone while adding to the vault of stories to be repeated around the wood stove for years to come.

Spent our 23rd year tucked into the woods of Kingman for a several days, got in a 10 day stint in Parlin Pond with some good snow, and got a few days with my oldest daughter locally, and I eventually shot a small buck yesterday near my house.

The camaraderie and the actual adventure of the hunt for me always outweighs the kill. It’s what we dream about all year. 11 months to go. Photos from the month’s travels.

Attachments

• 94B7ABEB-79A3-4484-82A3-63BDC7860B43.jpeg
    94B7ABEB-79A3-4484-82A3-63BDC7860B43.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 721E10D4-B9FD-4CF5-A0F6-D787D0D323C7.jpeg
    721E10D4-B9FD-4CF5-A0F6-D787D0D323C7.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 4FE662F7-1ACC-4EB0-A151-ABF05EF53B3E.jpeg
    4FE662F7-1ACC-4EB0-A151-ABF05EF53B3E.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 48

mainer4570

Reaction score
Excellent KC. I totally agree with your comment about the camaraderie and adventure of the hunt.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That middle picture in the first post would make an awesome painting of poster. Pretty much captures "Northeast deer hunting" in my opinion. Looks like a hell of a time as always. I agree with your post a million percent.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
That middle picture in the first post would make an awesome painting of poster. Pretty much captures "Northeast deer hunting" in my opinion. Looks like a hell of a time as always. I agree with your post a million percent.
Yep. Would have loved a northern deer this year, but happy with my month and eventually how my hunt turned out yesterday and filling my tag. None of this, I wish he was bigger, not the biggest deer in the woods, bs, etc. Just tickled pink on an exciting hunt, breaking in my new .308.

Kingman we had two days of 75 degrees, and then about perfect conditions for Jackman for most of the week. Bucks were roaming, not chasing, so each day was 8 or so miles on good tracks but my stumpy legs were no match to catch up with them. I did find a few new great spots with tons of buck signs, huge rubs, etc. looking forward to getting some cameras up for next year which is something I didn’t have time for this year.

JDK

Reaction score
A great season. Congratulations on your buck

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Congratulations on a nice buck and a great season. Hunting on snow is always good.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Awesome pictures and I couldn't agree more with the sentiment of your post. That tree with your gun leaned up against the middle of it is gigantic!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
and then about perfect conditions for Jackman for most of the week. Bucks were roaming, not chasing, so each day was 8 or so miles on good tracks but my stumpy legs were no match to catch up with them.
Very nice season and pics!

We were doing the same 5-8 miles. Seemed like the bucks couldn't find any receptive does and didn't slow down. We were lucky to come upon a couple though.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Just made me think how it is just starting here. Tomorrow and Tuesday early M.L. and the next Monday the gun season opens until the end of January. Still have 4 buck tags to fill.
I don't know how the state of NJ sustains a deer population with all those tags.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Just made me think how it is just starting here. Tomorrow and Tuesday early M.L. and the next Monday the gun season opens until the end of January. Still have 4 buck tags to fill.
We still have two weeks of ML and I have a doe tag, but not sure how much I’ll go out. I passed a bunch of does already and now with a deer in the freezer I might just throw in the towel, or not. Will see how motivated I get.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know how the state of NJ sustains a deer population with all those tags.
I don’t think too many guys fill them all. A lot of guys are looking for a nice buck and if they don’t see one just fill the freezer with a few does. We don’t have any winterkill here, so the population just keeps growing.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Kingman

How did you like the 308?
I really liked it. I used it around home and Kingman mostly sitting and still hunting, but the 7600 when on snow moving quick. The savage is so light it feels like a toy. Good to use in my pop up blind or have laying across my legs in my chair somewhere. I ended up shooting multiple times(all hits) on my buck and it cycled great under pressure. I was surprised the TSX did not do as much damage as I expected but did the job and the deer only really went 15 yards. My shooting could have been better at 130 yards as I was 3 shots high on the animal, but that’s on me, not the gun. Overall thrilled with it, the fit, how it carries. Once I got it dialed in on ammo, it was a tack driver.

Unfortunately my youngest daughter Addison thinks it’s hers now!

Attachments

• 5D4DF895-A9F1-43AD-9E26-C67088C4DF32.jpeg
    5D4DF895-A9F1-43AD-9E26-C67088C4DF32.jpeg
    657.2 KB · Views: 11

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I don’t think too many guys fill them all. A lot of guys are looking for a nice buck and if they don’t see one just fill the freezer with a few does. We don’t have any winterkill here, so the population just keeps growing.
Yeah, I guess it's because of your WSI there.

Latest posts