Sea Duck Retriever Question

jermtaylor

Reaction score
We are planning a seas duck hunt to the Portland area in December for Eider and I have a bit of an odd question. I've heard that there can be problems with the seals taking birds after you shoot them, and wondered if there is ever a problem with the seals bothering dogs when they retrieve the birds. I've hunted a lot of big water, but never had to deal with seals before. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

mowbizz

Reaction score
If a seal went after my dog he would be crab bait…😡that said, I don’t hunt sea ducks.
If it were me, I wouldn’t send my dog out if seals were present. Then again, are seals prone to attacking a large dog??

Gwlambo

Reaction score
You can message TGS for info on this. He is a guide for sea ducks in that area. He has a lab and there are lots of seals so should have all the info you need.

FRED

Reaction score
Interesting question, taken a bunch of scuba divers / snorkelers out on seal tours and they are always playful & curious but where there is food competition involved…
My concern with dogs and sea ducking has always been entanglement in the long line rigs. When used hunt with a dog, I’d run 4’ droppers with 2iz egg sinkers down at the clip.

jermtaylor

Reaction score
Agreed on the food thing. A little blood in the water changes everything when there are predators around.

We've run long line setups for years on the Great Lakes & never had a problem with the dogs getting tangled. Started out with 36" leads, but 24" work just fine. Only thing that has ever happened is a decoy got hung up on the dogs vest as he was swimming by, but nothing with the lines. If you use sinking line, it pulls itself down far enough, and then the decoy clips help to weigh it down as well.

Latest posts