SD CARDS…what’s everyone use?

mowbizz

Reaction score
Getting on the SD card swap bandwagon. All these years I have just looked at the sd cards while at the camera, then I save whatever and format the card then insert back in the cam. I only have 4 cams so I want to just sswap the cards and look at them at my leisure. I have 3 Browning cams and one Busnell at the moment.
Any preference as to the brand of SD CARD I should be using? Note: the Browning sd cards are $20 a pop and I know there are better buys.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Getting on the SD card swap bandwagon. All these years I have just looked at the sd cards while at the camera, then I save whatever and format the card then insert back in the cam. I only have 4 cams so I want to just sswap the cards and look at them at my leisure. I have 3 Browning cams and one Busnell at the moment.
Any preference as to the brand of SD CARD I should be using? Note: the Browning sd cards are $20 a pop and I know there are better buys.
I get most of mine on ebay. Just make sure it is what your cam calls for. I have mostly 2GB and a few 1GB and about 4 extra cards so when I check cams I just swap the card and bring the one home and check the pictures and then format the card for next swap. I have a hodgepodge of cards, PNC, Kingston, Lexar, San Disk that I have been using for years. I have a new Muddy that came with a 16GB card and the only card I can swap with that is the 2GB San Disk. None of my other ones will work with that cam.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Th
I get most of mine on ebay. Just make sure it is what your cam calls for. I have mostly 2GB and a few 1GB and about 4 extra cards so when I check cams I just swap the card and bring the one home and check the pictures and then format the card for next swap. I have a hodgepodge of cards, PNC, Kingston, Lexar, San Disk that I have been using for years. I have a new Muddy that came with a 16GB card and the only card I can swap with that is the 2GB San Disk. None of my other ones will work with that cam.
Thanks! Not sure what my cams take specifically so I may just pick a brand and try them. I don’t use ebay anymore because of their connection with paypal which is anti free-speech.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I buy refurbished SanDisk 16G cards in my brownings. I've used them for years with no issue. The refurbs are a quarter of the cost.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Just bought some Wally World ones…we’ll see if they work and if not, they go back.

mowbizz

Reaction score
The Walmart ones I bought (cheap) were called “keep” probably chinesium…I swapped them out yesterday after a morning sit. The cameras looked “happy” so we’ll see how they work in a few days. That said, no daytime movement yet…

JJM6

Reaction score
Bad year for my Browning cams. They would take one video and stop working. Missed out on a lot of recon for sure.
I put the four of them on my bench yesterday with fresh batteries. Let them sit there while my dog and I went in and out. Turns out the issue proved to be the new 32gb cards I bought this year (SanDisk). I have one SanDisk 16gb that worked flawlessly in all four. The 32gb cards would choke every time.

JJM6

Reaction score
They would take one video and then quit. So the one video I got in the woods was me walking away from the cams and then nothing! Missed two months of scouting. According to the manuals they should be compliant. Lesson learned.....test anything new.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
That sucks. I know most cams seem to state that 32gb is the largest card you can use. Perhaps it has to do with the type or class of the card?

JJM6

Reaction score
Got me...I trashed them. Ordered some 16gb from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I have two new spots this year that looked promising. Unfortunately, the malfunctioning cameras did not confirm nor supply any other intel. I'll get them out this weekend and just hunt spots that have been productive in the past this year. I had some luck in NC in October so there's some meat in the freezer.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you get the super duper, ultra high speed, class 10, etc. if they don't like it. I think in general the problem is the larger the card capacity, the fancier it gets since it's more geared towards digital photography, however, I'm thinking the relatively low tech trail cameras don't like them. I'm probably wrong though.

tobydog

Reaction score
I have wrestled with this before too. Camera age plays into it, in the sense that the older cameras will likely only take a standard SD card (2GB max). Newer cameras used SDHC (32 GB Max) There may be some cameras out there that use SDXC (2TB) or SDUC (128TB) but I don't own any of them.

If you are taking short videos on a camera that only supports Standard SD card, you may be surprised how many it can hold. 2GB is a relatively large amount of space (picture 2000 floppy disks stacked on top of each other for a visual).

Also make sure you format the card in the camera before testing or deploying. Most hunting cameras use FAT/FAT32 file system so pick that if you have options.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
The Brownings take 4, 8, 16, 32 etc but make sure its a class 10. I went with 32mb as I leave them on video all year.

Thanks! Not sure what my cams take specifically so I may just pick a brand and try them. I don’t use ebay anymore because of their connection with paypal which is anti free-speech.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I think formatting is a big thing that's often overlooked. Each time I pull mine, I usually try and format them before putting them back in. I've usually got 2 sets of cards that I rotate between.
I have wrestled with this before too. Camera age plays into it, in the sense that the older cameras will likely only take a standard SD card (2GB max). Newer cameras used SDHC (32 GB Max) There may be some cameras out there that use SDXC (2TB) or SDUC (128TB) but I don't own any of them.

If you are taking short videos on a camera that only supports Standard SD card, you may be surprised how many it can hold. 2GB is a relatively large amount of space (picture 2000 floppy disks stacked on top of each other for a visual).

Also make sure you format the card in the camera before testing or deploying. Most hunting cameras use FAT/FAT32 file system so pick that if you have options.

Latest posts