Scouting maps

12 ring

Reaction score
Which program is best for on screen scouting before putting boots on the ground. Tried Google earth but can't get in

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Just purchase Onx. Did all my online scouting for Idaho with it. Marked waypoints, water sources, shows private land, trail access. Then all those waypoint automatically upload to your cell app. Game changer! Only thing google earth might have on Onx is the tilt feature of GE to really get a grasp on terrain. Besides that Onx hands down best scouting/hunting tool out there for navigation

Mainewoods

Reaction score
OnX all the way. I leave the GPS at home now, and it's so nice to scout on the computer and have the marks automatically show up on the phone app.

rustyg

Reaction score
OnX is a great app. I just don't like having to pay the annual fee.
I have been using another app called Basemap. The generic version is free, or you can pay a subscriber fee for the upgrade.
It basically does the same thing as Onx. Generic doesn't have the hybrid satellite with contours. It does have satellite and USGS topos.

The one thing I like with either Onx or Basemap is the ability to look at where you are on the map, and with the satellite image, drop a marker on an area that want to check out.

xp600

Reaction score
Huntstand is another option. I havent paid for it and used it extensively last year.

bigrak

Reaction score
Just purchase Onx. Did all my online scouting for Idaho with it. Marked waypoints, water sources, shows private land, trail access. Then all those waypoint automatically upload to your cell app. Game changer! Only thing google earth might have on Onx is the tilt feature of GE to really get a grasp on terrain. Besides that Onx hands down best scouting/hunting tool out there for navigation
Do you need cell service?

VTHunter08

Reaction score
What Haystaddle said. when I was in idaho I quickly downloaded 3 maps of 3 different areas we were going to hunt while I was sitting in the airport. One of the maps I never used, used the other two and covered around 50 miles in 6ish days of hunting. Never took my gps out of my pack

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Do you need cell service?
You need cell service or wifi to initially download maps of the region you are hunting. These vary in size from 5 miles, 10 miles, or 150 miles wide, depending on what resolution you want. The 5 mile of course has the best resolution even though 10 works fine and you can download multiple maps and cover a very large area.

Once downloaded just put your phone in airplane mode and you hardly use any battery while using the app.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Huntstand is another option. I havent paid for it and used it extensively last year.
Hunstand is free, but it doesn't show property boundaries and ownership. A critical piece of information if trying to navigate public/private boundaries

xp600

Reaction score
Hunstand is free, but it doesn't show property boundaries and ownership. A critical piece of information if trying to navigate public/private boundaries
I was able to see boundaries by applying the correct map layers but if I wanted owner info, that is pay service.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
OnX full service is $100 a year for every state, and well worth the money. Also, there's plenty of promo codes out there that will get you $20 off the yearly subscription fee.