Scope question

groundtender

Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking. Last winter I picked up a 20 ga. Savage 220 slug gun. It takes sabots. I have already put a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x33 Shotgun scope on it. Have any of you experience in using a scope that’s not specifically designated for shotguns on such a gun? I recently sold my Mod 88 Win, but kept the Nikon Monarch 4 x 40 that was on it. I’d actually prefer to put that on the Savage. Is there really a fundamental difference in construction between these two scopes? I’ve never had one of the 4x40’s on anything larger than a .308 or a .45-70, but never had any problem with those combinations. Thanks in advance

lester2

Reaction score
The biggest difference is the distance at which the parallax is set. It’s my understanding that most fixed parallax center fire scopes are set at 100 yards, most shotgun/muzzleloader scopes are set at 75 yards and most rimfire scopes are set at 50 yards. That said, I’ve tried all different combinations and as long as I sight in for a particular set of distances they all perform just fine. I’d put that 4x Monarch on your Savage and fire away.

lester2

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that Nikon ProStaff 2-7 is pretty good glass. Before I settled on the Leupolds I bought a couple of them. Still have one on a .308 and on my backup 20 gauge slug gun. Good scopes!

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that Nikon ProStaff 2-7 is pretty good glass. Before I settled on the Leupolds I bought a couple of them. Still have one on a .308 and on my backup 20 gauge slug gun. Good scopes!

My understanding is that Nikon got out of the scope market back in 2020. You can still find some old "new" stock items out there for sale though but finding exactly what you want may be tricky.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Nikon is done with scopes. I have a Nikon Monarch. It's nice, but the mag adjustment is dial is to tight.

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
Nikon quitting the scope business was a real bummer. They made good scopes, there are a few companies I would have rather seen quit than Nikon.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Nikon quitting the scope business was a real bummer. They made good scopes, there are a few companies I would have rather seen quit than Nikon.
Yes, I agree. I liked my Monarch quite a bit. My only complaint was the dial was to tight.

amclimber

Reaction score
I'll second what Lester replied. I asked the same question as you to a Leupold field rep when I was looking at putting a 1x4 shotgun scope on a 30-06. He said that the construction is identical from a durability/shock perspective. The only difference was the paralax that was set at 75 yards for the shotgun scope and 100 yards for the centerfire. He was referring specifically to Leupold, but I assume Nikon would be the same.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I'll second what Lester replied. I asked the same question as you to a Leupold field rep when I was looking at putting a 1x4 shotgun scope on a 30-06. He said that the construction is identical from a durability/shock perspective. The only difference was the paralax that was set at 75 yards for the shotgun scope and 100 yards for the centerfire. He was referring specifically to Leupold, but I assume Nikon would be the same.
I always used a Nikon Monarch riflescope on my muzzleloader, and it takes down the deer just the same, lol. No harm to the scope. It can handle it.

Latest posts