Scope Caps

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Just starting this thread as more of an FYI. I hunt in ME and it’s either snowing or raining on any given day.

I started years ago messing with scope covers and learned a bit trying a few of them, breaking them, etc.

My thoughts -

I like the Butler Creek blizzard caps. Not sure I’ve ever looked through them closed, but compared to their standard eye reticle the way they open I prefer by flicking the thumb back. It is second nature now to pull up the gun flick off the safety and open them both immediately. In clear weather they are open all day or even taken off.

They are not very durable and have broken a few.

I wish they laid back flat on the scope when open.

The big thing I found over the years was to get the largest size you can. For example my 32-33mm bell scopes call for a size 4, but are so tight they sort of distort and stretch too much so they don’t close well or stay closed. I think everyone that claims they keep popping open on them is experiencing this. If you go next size up, and just add a wrap or two of tape discreetly under the cap on the scope you will be better off. They will have a firm snap and pop to open when fit right.

I recently tried the vortex defenders on two similar scopes.

What i like - they are nearly indestructible. You can twist and try to pull them apart and they won’t. It’s like military grade. They open and lay flat on the scope out of the way.

They open and close very tightly even if they are put on tight onto the scope. It doesn’t effect functionality like the butlers.

Negatives - when you pop them open with the standard thumb swipe, they are a tad noisy. Not sure if that will lighten up with use.

I have not tried the Leopold aluminum ones yet, primarily due to price. Curious to feedback if people want to add to the thread.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I have fought with my scopes for the last few years in bad weather. Last year I even had a separate gun with a peep for those bad weather days.

This year I bought Butler Creek Blizzard scope caps for my muzzle loader and rifle. I will never hunt again without scope covers. On clear days, they can stay shut. On crappy days it is second nature to pop them open as I pull the rifle up. Mine were $8.99 each at my local Mom and Pop shop. They were worth the money.

JDK

Reaction score
When my father was hunting out west every year, he used both Butler Creek and Leupold Aluminas. Hands down he liked the Aluminas better. I remember him saying that he had problems with the BC in the scabbard and if I remember correctly he broke one. Not an issue with what we are doing here. I don't know where he got them, but knowing him, I'd say Ebay. He won't pay full price for anything.

He never used scope caps of any type here in New England and I'm not sure why.

Last edited:

bootstrap

Reaction score
I bought a hawke scope that has factory metal ball and socket closure caps. they are super high quality. i think you will start to see more of these on scopes in the future. pulling them open takes some getting used. I was using them mostly with out clicking them closed. everything else gets butler creek. put the flex series on a nikon inline xr this year, very happy with them. what i have found is you have to watch it if you close them while wet inside, the vapor can be on the scope next time you go to look through it.

ihunt

Reaction score
I have used the leupold aluminum covers for 2 seasons now and so far like them a lot. They lay flat when open and use magnets to stay closed so they are very quiet. They are very expensive, but given the cost of my rifle and scope it's a good investment. Although if I end up breaking one for any reason cost may then become an issue! I also like that they thread inside my scope tube and don't slide over the outside which makes it appealing to the eye.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I have Butler Creeks on all of my hunting rifles.
Same experience as KC.
They were cheap and get the job done.
Keep them open all the time on good days, closed on bad.
When I practice shooting, they always start closed so its now muscle memory while hunting.
Have lost a few due to fit. Now tape them on.
Not folding all the way back is an annoyance especially when wear a baseball style hat.
But still wouldn't leave home with out them.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys. Throw your scope caps out. Get a Leupold, Cabelas, or similar coat for your scope. Spray it with waterproof spray. Protects the scope from nicks and scuffs as well as the other guns in the safe from an uncovered scope. Can be put on any scope that is close to the same length. They come in different lengths.

When hunting you grab the end near you and pull it off when you want to shoot or whatever. Just like the caps when you take it off in the rain or snow you have to be careful putting it back on over a wet lens, because the trapped moisture could fog. I dry the scope off before putting it back on. But... I don't take it off unless I am ready to shoot when it is raining or snowing. Never have I taken it off to find the scope fogged. When it is not raining or snowing I keep it off the gun, but have it with me. Just my opinion. Has worked very well for me over the last 25 years hunting 50 or more days per year with a gun, in Maine, N.Y. and N.J.

Shot my biggest buck tracking in the rain with a scope coat. Saw him suddenly at 40 yards, pulled scope coat off while raising the rifle, clicked the safety off and then shot. Never looked at rifle. My two cents.... Use whatever the heck you want!;)

Latest posts