Savage Lightweight Storm

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
UPDATE: I was able to get some 165-grain Core Lokt Tipped and they group VERY well in both of my scoped .308 Savage rifles. If you can find them, try them.

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
When I used to sell firearms, Savage was the best selling rifle. Nobody ever came back to complain.
I've tried giving other manufacturers a try, but I always ended up buying Savage rifles. When I switched to .338 Federal for bear, Savage was the only game in town, and now they've abandoned it as well (except the Bear Hunter model). If they still make the Tikkas, I probably would have tried one of them.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
I've tried giving other manufacturers a try, but I always ended up buying Savage rifles. When I switched to .338 Federal for bear, Savage was the only game in town, and now they've abandoned it as well (except the Bear Hunter model). If they still make the Tikkas, I probably would have tried one of them.
They still make Tikkas, and they are unbelievably good. I don't know if they make that caliber, but they are available in all common and many unique calibers.

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
They still make Tikkas, and they are unbelievably good. I don't know if they make that caliber, but they are available in all common and many unique calibers.
That's what I meant. I know they still make the Tikkas, and if I were in the market for one of their chamberings, I'd give them a serious look to break my endless Savage cycle. They used to make .338 Fed but I think those days are long gone. Savage has a custom shop, but I saw nothing similar for Tikka. The few reports I've read about the old Sakos chambered in .338 Fed were somewhat negative, at least about accuracy,

I keep considering trying to get a lightweight in .338 Fed as my Savage is decidedly a "heavyweight", but with the recoil perhaps I am better off. It doesn't help that I put a heavy scope on as well.

I bought my daughter a Lightweight Storm in .308. Both of my .308s are blued, and Savage bluing sucks. If I decided that I need my own stainless .308, I'd probably get the Tikka lightweight as I've read nothing but good things about it.

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
So after having every type of 180-grain .308 round fail to group in my Savage rifles, I got a hold of some Core Lokt Tipped 180 grainers, figuring I had just wasted $30.

To my delight, they were sub-moa. Put three in the same hole at 50 yards. I am pumped. Now I have a 180-grain commercial load for bear backup incase my .338 lets me down!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Got some time with this gun over the weekend. As suggested went to 150 grain. Blue box federal and the premium tsx. Both flew almost identical. I’m happy. After I got it close and was grouping a bit to the right I brought it over for the last two shots at 100 yards just north of bullseye. I’m happy.

Attachments

• D8E29FC4-47BC-4153-8B4D-F95ADE44553E.jpeg
    D8E29FC4-47BC-4153-8B4D-F95ADE44553E.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 2

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Looks like your rifle is shooting great. Now you just have to do your part! Good luck with the new rig!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Looks like your rifle is shooting great. Now you just have to do your part! Good luck with the new rig!
I didn’t do my part on Sat night as a huge alpha coyote we have had on camera was sprinting right at me down a skidder road. Couldn’t blame the gun on that one! Beyond that we didn’t see a deer. 74 degrees in Kingman. Zero deer sign. Tons of birds and saw a nice bull moose, but it was friggin hot.

Latest posts