Savage Lightweight Storm

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Over the last couple years with getting my girls into hunting I have been messing with bolt actions quite a bit. I have been hunting pump guns for awhile, but have been playing around with getting a light and short bolt action .308. I have been running around pawing them over whenever I can at the gun warehouses here in Maine, and have made a list of pros and cons of all.
Really want something sub 6 pounds, 20 inch barrel or less, removable magazine.
Pretty sure I have settled on a savage storm lightweight, yet I have never held one. Positives are it’s less than 6 pounds, accutrigger, stainless, removable magazine, 5.6 pounds and adjustable length of pull which is big for me. Price is affordable for also called mountain rifle.
I have read every review, scoured the forums, and watched every video on YouTube. Just seeing if anyone has held one of these or owns one?

silver belly62

Reaction score
Consider looking into how the magazine release, or "clip" part is on the front of this model. If its similar to how the 110 Trophy is with that being a large " U" shape piece I bad a problem with mine that broke. After getting it i didn't like that design and several other things, rifle was very accurate though

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Consider looking into how the magazine release, or "clip" part is on the front of this model. If its similar to how the 110 is with that being a large " U" shape piece I bad a problem with mine that broke.
Will do. I am curious if it is different than the one of my daughters savage XP. That magazine I like a lot better than my Ruger. More durable in my opinion. Will do some research.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
What others have you tried or considered ? After selling that I bought a Xbolt
I have an x bolt that is now my wife’s. Doesn’t carry well as it’s thick on the mid section. The gun, not my wife. Barrel is 22 inches. Length of pull feels long.

I considered a model seven.Prefer something with a magazine.
I really like the kimbers and almost bought a hunter pro at cabelas, but the barrel with muzzle break was a monster.
I considered a tikka lite compact, but beyond the smooth action wasn’t totally impressed.

My big thing is that I’m short, and my LOP with a jacket on is about 12.75 which is an inch shorter than most factory rifles. Compacts and youth models fit me perfectly. I have a youth stock on one of my pump guns and I had the wood stock on another cut down. A normal full size rifle to me just doesn’t shoulder well. It’s probably more habit and muscle memory than anything at this point.

Xbolt

Reaction score
I have the browning xbolt long range left hand (rebarreled with a 25 inch bartlien r5 1/8 twist in 280 ackley improved) topped with a, leapould hd5 2x10x42 it will drive tacks,

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger no pun intended. First gunbroker purchase. Seemed easy and good so far, with both the seller and the shop accepting the transfer which is a new place in town. They alreasy had their FFL in the gunbroker system which made it easy and they were super responsive to take in the transfer for $30 which felt was fair. The bigger shop near me is looking for $50 nowadays. Will report back once I get it, scoped, and sighted in.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks. Always looking for options. If can find them I was going to go with the federal barnes TSX. Been using them with the 7mm08 and they group awesome and have seen a bunch recovered on deer and moose that look incredible.
I would say either would be a good choice if they shoot a minute of pie plate for you.

JDK

Reaction score
If you are stuck on the Trophy Bonded, Midway has them right now. I've been reloading with 165 grain Hornady Interlocks which I plan to use this year.

That said, I've killed a pile of stuff with plain jane Federal Blue Box 150s. Both my rifles shoot it very well, so well in fact that it is actually pretty stupid of me to reload. No issues with on game performance and it was cheap. I killed a buck last year with 150 Fusions (06 however) and was happy with their performance. Midway also has them (165s) and I was considering trying them in my 308s.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I shoot the fusions now also and find them to fly very well. I’ll probably buy some affordable rounds to get used to the gun and then switch to the TSX afterwards. They had them at the federal site yesterday and I almost bought some, but then got to thinking. Who buys ammo for a gun they don’t own yet. Dumb move as they are sold out.

Last edited:

Xbolt

Reaction score
I just ordered a cooper m92. Back country in 300 WM came , with a, 24 inch 1/10 twist + break but i up graded it to a 26 inch 1/8 twist barrel) (BARE rifle without scope is 5 75 lbs)

Xbolt

Reaction score
Elk/deer we hunt montana/colorado every year (wyoming/idaho every other year) for 2weeks, the, 26 inch barrel maximizes the
200 grn federal terminal accent that we use in it (it hits hard on both ends)
Our ny/pa hunting we use browning x bolt pro
With 24 INCH bartlein 1/8 twist in 280 ackley
Shooting hand loaded, 150 grn eld,x

Xbolt

Reaction score
Those look nice. What type of hunting and where are you that you like a 26 inch barrel?
They shoot really well to, if there is, a,down side, it would be because they, are so light any flaws in your shooting the cooper wlll bring it to your attention
And 2nd because they are extremely light
They are not really a long range(600-1000+yrds)rifle
Ive know a few guys, out west that have killed elk at 1000-1200 yrds, with 300 ultra mag & 338 leapould mag

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
They shoot really well to, if there is, a,down side, it would be because they, are so light any flaws in your shooting the cooper wlll bring it to your attention
And 2nd because they are extremely light
They are not really a long range(600-1000+yrds)rifle
Ive know a few guys, out west that have killed elk at 1000-1200 yrds, with 300 ultra mag & 338 leapould mag
That’s amazing, but also hard to imagine for me. I usually take deer at about 50 yards in fairly heavy/thick timber.

Latest posts