Savage 220 slug gun

groundtender

Reaction score
So I was at Bean’s Hunting store today because of an increasing interest in having a shotgun specifically set up for shooting slugs. I want to be all set in the future should I get opportunity to hunt deer in a shotgun only state. They had several of the Savage Model 220. A bolt gun. They actually had two of them in lefty, which I require. Seemed reasonable, fits well, and I have had good service with my Savage 116 rifle. I went outside and called a friend in Illinois that guides deer hunters and for starters only asked him if he recommends 12 or 20 gauge, without mentioning any particular model. Right out of the gate he says: “Get a 20 gauge Savage 220.” So I went back in and bought one. Now I have to find a scope for it. I had kind of been interested in a semi-auto Winchester SX-4. The salesman told me if I ordered one it would likely be at least a year to get it. A “bird in hand”, the Savage, and about $300. less.

lester2

Reaction score
So GT, I’ve been shotgun hunting in north central MA for 9 seasons now. Started with a NEF Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge. Shot a couple deer, both bang flops, both big does. Couple years ago I switched to a 20 gauge 870 with rifled barrel. Hit a nice buck at 100 yards, knocked him down, never recovered him. Been carrying a 12 gauge rifled barrel 870 ever since but haven’t had the chance at a deer with it yet. By all accounts your 220 is the cats meow of 20 gauge slug guns, especially with Remington Accutips, if you can find them. As for a scope, can’t go wrong with a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
So GT, I’ve been shotgun hunting in north central MA for 9 seasons now. Started with a NEF Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 gauge. Shot a couple deer, both bang flops, both big does. Couple years ago I switched to a 20 gauge 870 with rifled barrel. Hit a nice buck at 100 yards, knocked him down, never recovered him. Been carrying a 12 gauge rifled barrel 870 ever since but haven’t had the chance at a deer with it yet. By all accounts your 220 is the cats meow of 20 gauge slug guns, especially with Remington Accutips, if you can find them. As for a scope, can’t go wrong with a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33.
What Lester said!!!
LH Savage 220 shooting Remington AccuTips topped with a nice compact 2-7x33 scope is what I use. It will repeatedly shoot a 2.5" 5 shot group at 100yds without any effort and many are better.
I have my scope mounted on a 1 piece rail. That might be coming off this year in favor of 2 piece mounts as you reallllly have to work the bolt to get the shell to eject and clear the rail.

groundtender

Reaction score
What Lester said!!!
LH Savage 220 shooting Remington AccuTips topped with a nice compact 2-7x33 scope is what I use. It will repeatedly shoot a 2.5" 5 shot group at 100yds without any effort and many are better.
I have my scope mounted on a 1 piece rail. That might be coming off this year in favor of 2 piece mounts as you reallllly have to work the bolt to get the shell to eject and clear the rail.
Great! Thank you guys. Shawn, Are you recommending that the factory rail be removed and be replaced with conventional individual mounts for the rings? Thank you

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Great! Thank you guys. Shawn, Are you recommending that the factory rail be removed and be replaced with conventional individual mounts for the rings? Thank you
I’ve been hunting with a 20 gauge 870 in Mass since 2003. Shooting Remington accutips 2/34 and have never lost a deer I’ve shot. I hunt the ground and track or stalk similar to hunting with a 7600. Really think you’ll enjoy the 20 gauge 220. Several friends that go to Illinois and they swear by the 220 20 gauge. Good luck.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing it, just to see if it helps with shell ejection...it may just be that the Savage really like to have the bolt worked aggressively on it's own.
It could just be that the bolt throw is longer than any of my rifles and a different feel.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
The 220's are really accurate. I know a few guys with them. The only complaint I've heard is that they can jamb if you cycle them to fast.

Xbolt

Reaction score
Wasn't the guns, /, gauges, fault
100yrds for any slug gun is, just, about max range did you vetify the range with a, range finder or did you
Guess?

lester2

Reaction score
Wasn't the guns, /, gauges, fault
100yrds for any slug gun is, just, about max range did you vetify the range with a, range finder or did you
Guess?
I did not use a range finder, I estimated the range by pacing it off after the shot. At 100 yards the 3” 20 gauge Remington Accutip has a published energy of 1192 ft/lbs. I’m now using the 2-3/4” 12 gauge Hornady SST ammo with a published 100 yard energy of 1793 ft/lbs. When I shot that buck I did not get a pass thru, he only bled out of one side. I tracked him over two miles and 4.5 hours and he never bedded or stopped. I felt like the shot was good with a center of mass hold just behind the shoulder. He wasn’t dragging or favoring a leg so I think I hit him high behind the shoulder. My decision to go to the 12 gauge over the 20 is based upon the theory of “bigger hole, more down range energy”.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I did not use a range finder, I estimated the range by pacing it off after the shot. At 100 yards the 3” 20 gauge Remington Accutip has a published energy of 1192 ft/lbs. I’m now using the 2-3/4” 12 gauge Hornady SST ammo with a published 100 yard energy of 1793 ft/lbs. When I shot that buck I did not get a pass thru, he only bled out of one side. I tracked him over two miles and 4.5 hours and he never bedded or stopped. I felt like the shot was good with a center of mass hold just behind the shoulder. He wasn’t dragging or favoring a leg so I think I hit him high behind the shoulder. My decision to go to the 12 gauge over the 20 is based upon the theory of “bigger hole, more down range energy”.
I have always thought the same thing. If they made a 12 gauge that was as light as my 20 I certainly would be shooting it. But they don’t. That said the 20 has served me well in both a slug gun and I have a bps for turkey. On the Remington I did take the cantilever off the barrel and mount a b square on it. I was getting some inconsistencies with the cantilever. Or so I thought.

groundtender

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing it, just to see if it helps with shell ejection...it may just be that the Savage really like to have the bolt worked aggressively on it's own.
It could just be that the bolt throw is longer than any of my rifles and a different feel.
What height rings do you guys use on the 220 for a 2-7x32 scope? Thank you.

Latest posts