Sarah Christens the Shamp

benny8

Reaction score
My wife, Sarah, hasn't taken a deer in 7 years. Every year she works just as hard as the next guy. We scout year round, she helps me move ladder stands, but it just doesn't come together for her. That was up until Saturday. We got up to the Shamp before daylight and turned up the heat in the Shamp and got changed into our hunting clothes. Down into the buddy stand just as dawn was arriving. Sat for three hours with no sightings. Back up to Shamp so she could go out for her daily run. Me hopscotching along in the pickup for moral support and reassurance. While stopped at a checkpoint, I look in the rearview to see a spike horn crossing the road behind my tailgate. Back to Shamp for shower and lunch. Then down into the woods to still hunt a bit. We found a well used trail with rubs and made a couple mock scrapes and hung our cameras. Sat for a few hours and then decided to go back up to the buddy for the rest of the evening. We hadn't been sitting for more than half an hour when things started heating up. I caught movement to the right and told her to get ready. We could see the brown of a deer coming thru the scrub pines. Then Sarah says its a doe! She was getting ready to level the muzzy when 2 more deer are in tow. They are last years does. The big doe steps out into the opening facing us and turns slightly to smell a mock scrape I had just made not 30 minutes earlier. When she turns a bit more, she is broadside. Sarah whispers now? I tell her yes! BOOM! smoke clears and she has dropped in her tracks! We go nuts in the stand! She thanks the Lord and says the monkey is finally off her back. I tell her she has officially christened the Shamp! We can now officially call it a deer camp. This is a big doe, I'm thinking at least 120lbs. I've shot quite a few 115-120 lb doe and this one dwarfs it. The scale at the FD says 106 and I almost crap myself. Either way it was a great day to be in the stand with my beautiful wife.
2019 doe2.jpg
2019 doe.jpg

benny8

Reaction score
Sarah says thank you all! I am so proud of this girl. She has overcome a lot of adversity in her life, most recently three failed shoulder surgeries. She is a trooper, though, and tries to push thru the pain. Getting her deer early in the season before the bitter cold sets in is a God send.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Congrats to all at “the shamp”
Great start to the deer season!