Sams' late season log

sams

Reaction score
Well the snow has certainly changed up patterns. Spent a couple hours sitting and 3 more walking today. Did not see any deer, but there were plenty of tracks that I could not make much sense of. One interesting thing was I had a couple of sets of tracks that looked like a buck and doe traveling together. Maybe some second rut activity.

I'm in VT for a couple days. Hopefully I will get some time on the ice while I'm here and back at it on Friday. Hopefully the cams have some good news for me when I get back.

sam

sams

Reaction score
Got out for a look around this afternoon and my main areas still deadsville. I had hoped the warm weather earlier this week would have made the acorns more accessible, but that did not happen.

Back out tomorrow morning to check a spot I have not been to all year. If I don't see any signs of deer in that area it might be time to call it for the year.

Sam

sams

Reaction score
12/28

Headed to a spot that I had hunted in years past and decided to go past the immense amount of sign I saw close to the road and head deep to an area where I have known big bucks to bed during the day. Gave it a decent sit until about 9 and then scouted around and found that while the deer had been in there it was not being heavily trafficked.

12/30

Back to the same area that I went the 28th and planned to sit on a good run heading back to some neighboring houses. I was walking in good and early and a big blow down fooled me into thinking it was the stone wall I,had just come through and got me really turned around (on a trail I have walked lots of times). Because I was in an area I had seen deer previously and that was really tracked up I just sat down. At 8:00 I got antsy and decided to do some moving around.

I did not see anything on foot so I decide to head back towards my truck and huntmmynway up a hill side covered in fallen trees. This is a good bedding area on sunny days. I was moving quietly, but not really still hunting as I got close. Just as I got near where I had been sitting first thing in the morning I see 2 flags go up and off they go with no shot opportunity. I check out where they had been feeding and it was literally 15 feet from where I had been sitting.

After jumping those deer I decided to back out and hope for an afternoon crack at those deer. I headed back into the woods around 1 to allow for a long slow walk without getting up wind of the area they ran into. Solid 4 hour sit with no deer seen.

That's a wrap for me. Wife and girls get back tonight so tomorrow is family day then date night with the wife for NYE. I'm ready for 4 months without fish or deer setting my schedule.

sam

sams

Reaction score
Finally got some time to hunt on Saturday. Saw a hawk hunting in the tree tops on my way in and hoped it was a good sign. Got into my stand at about 2:30. At 4:15 I had I coyote come in fast to about 8 yards. He was basically on top of me by the time I got my bow up and took off when he heard me start to draw back. Nothing else seen before dark.

I'm traveling next week. Hopefully things will be a little more active next time I'm in the woods.

sam

sams

Reaction score
Made it out on the 8th and sat in my stand for a couple of hours with no activity. Wind was up and not much was moving at all with limited squirrel, bird etc.. activity. Decided to take a look around and moved one of my cams to an area that looked a little more active. The wife texted me that she could take both kids to the birthday party so I had some extra time and decided to check out a new area. As I worked my way up a ridge I caught sight of a big body taking off. Checked out where it had been feeding and found it was on a bunch of scattered corn that had been put out under someone's tree stand.

I moved out of that area and found where they had been moving off the ridge and into some swamps. A little further along I jumped another deer. I didn't see any head gear, but, it was all alone and had a big body. Some of the most concentrated sign and more active trails were just a short walk from where I parked. I'm planning to toss my climber int he car for a quick sit before work one morning this week.

sam

sams

Reaction score
This morning I went to check out a promising area that I had seen on my adventures Saturday afternoon for a quick before work hunt. I thought I had a good idea of how to get exactly where I wanted, but, as usual finding a specific spot in the woods that you have only been to once before is always a challenge. I was in the general area when it got close to shooting light and decided to get into the climber on a mixed softwood and oak hill that formed a decent funnel. There was good viability and I figured that even if I didn't have one walk under me I would have a decent shot at seeing how they moved along that hill side. There was plenty of feed and trails criss-crossing the area.

Unfortunately nothing walked by in range or out of range and I had to climb down right at 8 and head to the office. I would have liked to be able to stick it out longer, but, thats how it goes. I'm hoping to get a little bit of time on Sunday to scout the area better. Saturday I will spend in a different area where I have a better feel for the deer movement.

sam

sams

Reaction score
11-15

Saturday morning I went and hunted the other side of my usual area where I hit a big buck last year. I got in early to pull my camera card and spread some of Kendo's magic goo around. Just after I climbed up my tree a had a fisher cat come hopping through my set up. This had my hopes up as I had a seen one last year right before a big buck walked under me.

I got a chance to check my card while I waited and had a pic of a medium sized 6 pt that may have been the same one I have on camera from the other side of this woodlot hanging out with a spike about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Also had a pic of a doe, but not tons of deer. This didn't worry me too much as this is a small piece with a number of runs. They are not sticking to 1 path, but, moving around.

Around 6:45 I heard a ton of noise and was wondering if it was a hunter trying to find a spot way too late. Finally saw some movement and a decent bodied deer had walked up to my Wild Bill scent trail and was checking it out. Of course its head was right behind a big oak and I'm not sure if it was a buck or doe. I got my bow ready as I expected the deer to start walking my way when 2 other deer came bounding in. They could have winded me,but, as they ran towards me to start and then quartered up a hill I think they were chasing/ playing??? The way they were moving didn't look panicked and when one came running back parallel to me a few minutes later I figured it may have been some chasing activity. I didn't have a clean look at any heads and they did not stick around long so I cannot be sure.

I do think that I have a pattern figured out and hope to get a shot before bow is over. I am travelling the first week of shotgun and while I have this area to myself during bow a few people do show up during SG. It is a very small piece and can get screwed up pretty easily.

Sam

Last edited:

sams

Reaction score
10-23-2015

Made it out this morning for my first hunt of the year. I moved my stand a few weeks ago and made a little more noise than I wanted to finding it in the dark. Got up my tree before shooting light and saw a whole bunch of nothing. This is a spot that has had a lot of activity over the last few seasons, but, not much sign in there so far this year. I talked to a guy who lives near by on my way out and was a little worried when he said that he had been seeing less deer this year than in years past.

I forgot my electronic devices so could not check my cams until I got out of the woods. Turns out there are at least a few deer still around. I have what I think are two different bucks (I'll post in game cam forum for opinions) and had a group of 3 does hanging around in front of my camera for a while one morning. It also looks like they are on a pattern that they were a few years ago so adjustment should be pretty easy.

sam

sams

Reaction score
10-25image.jpg

Wife ran in a 5k this mornining so no morning hunt. Plan was to go, check a new area with my daughter, hang a 2 person ladder stand, then drop her off and hunt in the afternoon. There is a bit more to a ladder stand than I was planning so we ended up having a short afternoon.

No deer sighted (which was somewhat expected after building a giant metal tree house in the middle,of the forest), but, it was fun to get out with my little girl.

Sam

sams

Reaction score
Finally got back out this morning for a quick sit before work. Sat in the ladder stand, which, is in an okay area, but, not one I have high hopes for. Woods were quiet, no deer seen.

Back at it tomorrow for a longer sit in a more promising area. Need to get in early and check cards so I can finalize a game plan. I have 2 stands in this area, of which one is a climber so I can move it easily.

Sam

sams

Reaction score
11-14

I had high hopes for this morning after getting pictures of the decent 8 and big 4 following a doe at 9am on the 9th. Climbed up and get settled well before first light. I had a fisher cat come by and take a look at me from a stump about 10 yards from my tree. This has always been a good sign as every time previously that I had seen one in this spot I saw deer right afterwards. Unfortunately that was not the case for today.

11-16

Hunted a different stand in my usual area this morning. I heard a few deer crunching around when I walked in, but, it didn't sound like a spooked them. Beautiful cold morning with a nice sunrise and what sounded like a heard of Pope & Young squirrels all over the place. No deer seen from the stand.

On the way out I scouted a more discreet way to get to my stand and had to loop around what I expected to be a bedding area. It turns out that I was right as I jumped a deer as I passed. I didn't get a look at its head, but, the body looked a lot like the 8 pointer that I have numerous pictures of. Next time the wind is right I will probably set up on the trail into that bedding area.

sams

Reaction score
11-27

finally some action. I got up early so I could move my climber half way back to its previous position. The camera had no action in the previous spot, but, I felt where I was originally set up was too far from their main travel route.

Once I got moved and up into my tree it was about half an hour before shooting light. I decided to check the cam card and found where there had been no movement a week earlier there was a ton of movement including the 8 pointer being at that stand half an hour before I moved it. This did not bother me too much as I was still on the same trail system.

just after shooting light I heard some deer coming my way. I watched as the doe passed knowing the buck would be close by. He (the big 8) was there as expected and must have caught movement as I turned to look for him. He started snort wheezing and stomping, but, could never really peg me. He kept snorting, stomping and looking for 5 or so minutes until he slowly walked away.

About 10 minutes later I heard another one headed towards me and hoped the 8 pointer was coming back for his lady. In fact it was the 5 pointer that tends to follow the 8 around. Many of the pictures I have of the 8 show the 5 within the next hour. He slowly worked his way in behind my tree from about 60 yards to about 4 yards. Based on the way he came in there was no chance to draw until he was basically at my feet.

I finally have have him looking away in a shoot able position and draw. As I feel for my anchor point I can tell something feels wired, but I am not sure what. Well, somehow my grunt tube got pinched in the bow string was caressing my cheek, keeping me from finding the kisser button. As I let down to unfuc! my self he caught movement and worked his way to cover.

I hung around for a while and saw the doe moving through heavy cover with no shot offered.

11/28

The wife was out of town, but, I needed one last sit with the bow so I dumped the kids with my neighbor and headed out. My timing was good as the rain decided to stop as I got out of the truck and headed in. For the afternoon my plan was to sit in an oak flat near a few bedding areas. I knew this area got plenty of traffic, but, not when it was most used.

About 4 I hit the grunt tube a few times and saw a deer step out onto one of the trails. It didn't take him long to find the trail of Wild Bill's magic goo and he started coming in. As he got close I could see it was the spike horn I had a few pictures of during the season. As he hit an opening at about 20 yards, I pulled back and got ready to grunt and stop him.

Just before I grunted reality set in and I had to let down. It was 4:15, I had left the kids with my neighbor and I had to leave for the airport at 10am the next day. Unless I hit the deer, it ran straight to my truck, and fell over at the tail gate there was no chance I had time to deal with a finding, dragging, ....A dead deer. So, once again my potential first deer walked away unharmed.

I am disappointed to have never taken a shot this bow season, but, it certainly ended with a lot more action than it started with. Hopefully the orange army doesn't make too much of a mess of things before I get back there Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

sams

Reaction score
12/5

Got up super early and in my tree about and hour and a half before shooting light. After the action I had at the end of bow season I had high hopes of getting a shot at my target buck (or any other deer). As I waited for first light and checked my card from the camera I found there was basically no action in the past week - NOT GOOD. Well, the camera told a pretty accurate tale as I did not spot anything resembling a deer before I finally climbed down around 9:30.

I took a quiet walk around on my way out and found some fresher scrapes on the other side of this piece. I also had some deer movement around 3pm on the camera in this area so I was feeling good about the afternoon turning out better than the morning. I didn't see any deer for the first disappointment of the afternoon.

There was another truck parked by me when I got there in the afternoon. While I had not seen another hunter during bow, it is public land so I have to expect some other guys, not a big deal. I did figure I would hang around for a few, say hello, and compare notes. When he showed up he was a nice guy and we talked for a few minutes. Unfortunately, he had some bad news. The big 8 I have been chasing was shot along with a spike horn around mid-day. This also means that the spot is pretty well blown up and the chances of seeing a deer that has not been bumped are pretty slim.

I'm feeling tired, frustrated, and disappointed, but, I've put in too much time and come too close, too many times to give up now.

Sam

sams

Reaction score
12/8

After a disappointing and frustrating Saturday, today felt much better. I had a quick morning hunt in a residential area on the edge of the marsh. Nice morning after. No deer seen.

I took a break from the woods to dig piling holes for the sugar shack. Rented an auger. Next time I'll dig them by hand, that thing tore up my back.

Back in the woods by 2. I headed to the area where I have the double ladder stand. Instead of staying in the stand I decided to still hunt way back into an area I had not been this year. The wind was good, and the walking relatively quiet. I stood over a funnel area for a while before heading towards the edge of the marsh. The deer tend to bed in the marsh, so I hoped to catch one sneaking back in to feed.

I didn't see anything on the edge so worked my way up higher into some mixed woods. As I moved along I heard crunching coming towards me. When I looked at the deer shaped thing through my binos for the 300th time I was pleasantly surprised to see a tail swish instead of a log, rock ...

They were about 60 yards out in an area that was under tree cover and pretty dark. I could not pick them up with the scope, and waited as they had been working towards me. While I waited for them I decided to take my pack off for a better shot. Well,apparently I had better lighting as 2 tails went up and bounded off.

I didn't get the shot I wanted, but, was happy to that I changed things up and got back in the ball game.

sam

sams

Reaction score
10/22

Finally made it out for the first time this season on Saturday morning. There was a forecast break in the rain, so I decided to hunt one of my stands in a bunch of white oaks. There was plenty of tracks running thorugh the oaks, but, due to the rain it was hard to tell how fresh. Sat until about 10 with no deer seen.

I did have a little excitement when a pair of fisher cats jumped into a small pool, just out of site. I though it must me a deer coming in from the marsh. After hearing the splashes for about a minute 2 fisher cats popped out with one chasing the other. While I'm not an expert on these critters, it certainly looked like at least one of them was intent on making more fisher cats.

hopefully I'll get some time out there before work this week.

sam