Russell's Report

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Congrats to everyone that was successful and good luck to those still out there (its going to take a while to catch up on posts)

We had another great trip this year and were able to put some bucks on the pole, nothing big but they sure made us happy...we also saw a monster buck and hunted and area that held 2-3 200lbers..one went 250lbs shot by another hunter on wednesday before thanksgiving...ill share my story and let Jeff share his if he wishes

Well we left a meeting in Worcester on Wednesday (two weeks ago tomorrow) and got to camp around 11:00 just my brother and I. we didn't get to bed until after midnight and although we set the alarm for 4am the battery went dead in my cell phone. We didn't wake up until 6am and were out the door shortly after. We were heading to a piece of land that looked promising on the topos and were going to scout it out for some buck sign. it was raining pretty hard all morning and although i was soaked through i couldn't have been enjoying the maine woods any more (6months couped up in a cube in the office in boston can make a hunter crazy!!) jeff and i planned to meet at the truck at 11 and compare reports. i was two hours into my scout and was time to think about turning around...i was moving right along through the woods (almost joggin) when i looked up and saw a deer about 50 yards away head on looking right at me...i threw the gun up and was 95% sure it was a buck i kept the crosshairs on him hoping he would move his head so i could confrim my suspicion..well he finally did as he turned to run...bang! miss...gun jams up (due to buck fever i must admit) the buck stops about 25 yards away broadside while fiddle with my pump and curse myself for screwing this up...he trots off and i get the gun unjammed and load back up...i ran to where i last saw the buck and start scanning there he is 25 yards away again...shoulder the gun, bang! buck runs, bang! i go over to where he was when i shot and cannot find any blood or hair so i follow the tracks in the leaves...i catch movement out of the corner of my eye and look over to see the buck taking his last breaths...i put one more shot in his neck and walk over to a nice fat 4pt buck...i was pumped (been eating tag soup for the past 3 seasons in Maine) I got on the radio and called Jeff over...he showed up about and hour later...after pictures retelling the story and dressing him off we pulled out the GPS to get a bearing to the truck 1.5miles and still pouring rain...i shot the deer about 8:45 and we finally reached the truck at about 4pm...what a way to spend the first day in the woods! We got back to camp and strung him up on the meatpole Dad and Uncle Gary were pretty suprised when they pulled in later that night...dressed out at 142lbs and had a 16" spread

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
great pics and strory...looking forward to your bros story as well...and hasn't anyone told you guys that it's ok to smile in pictures LOL

Bill M

Reaction score
Congratulations Russell Bro! It looks like you all had a great hunt! Love the backdrop in the game pole pic!

badfisherman

Reaction score
Nice job guys. what is that you dad is holding for a rifle?

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Thats a browning BLR in .308...that gun has taken down some deer

JDK

Reaction score
Congrats. Sounds like a great time at camp.

Truth

Reaction score
Great report and results. Congratulations on good hunting and even better memories at camp with your dad. Cherish em' boys!

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Nice!! Great report guys...and great choice of shooting irons as well! Another great year for the Russell's!! We've got to change your names to the Young Guns, along with bigbuck28.... DL

And this is one of the nicest field/kill photos I've seen in a long, long time! No blood, deer in great shape, 7600, snow, 7600, and that 7600. Nice job!

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
And this is one of the nicest field/kill photos I've seen in a long, long time! No blood, deer in great shape, 7600, snow, 7600, and that 7600. Nice job![/b]
I'll second that! Some quality camera work there boys!

Congrats on your hunt!

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Story on my spike…
We got 3 inches of snow on Saturday afternoon…. We spent Sunday scouting out an area that was hot with lots of deer sign…no scrapes or rubs but lots of tracks including two different deer we figured would go over 200lbs. Monday I went to the stand I usually hunt in that area while Josh scouted some more…While scouting he had a spike run by grunting up a storm…there were lots of general tracks in that area so he brought in a climber so I could hunt the spot Tuesday am. Tuesday was one of those perfect hunting days to stand hunt…very cold, very cloudy, very calm and crunchy snow. At 8am I heard a deer making its way to my stand…the same spike josh saw the day before pokes his head out of the jack firs at 100yds…He disappeared for a while then reappeared on a skidder path at about 70 yds. I put the cross hairs at the base of his neck and touched one off…dropped like a rock (crumbled so hard in fact that he broke his rear leg). I climbed down and walked over to my first Maine buck in several years…I was pretty pumped. Josh showed up a while latter and I gave him the $500 he charges for guiding (kidding) He def deserves a lot of the credit. Nice down hill drag to the truck with Dad Josh and Uncle Gary…unforgettable day, unforgettable trip. This pic is as he lay when I walked up to him…I hadn’t even touched his huge rack yet. Thanks for all the compliments guys…I know the season aint over yet…but I feel us members have HC shot have shot more deer this year then ever before…any stats on this? Good luck to those still out there

M^2

Reaction score
Nice posts
Always good to see fellow mass_____ banging out Maine venison!!!!! Seems like a lot of quality eats came south this year from Maine

12 ring

Reaction score
Great Story and nice deer I bet they eat good! Now back to Zone 11 you still have a lot of hunting time left between shotgun and muzzle loader. Put those new Omegas to use.

Latest posts