Russell's Report 2011

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Left Boston at 7pm Wednesday the 16th. Pulled into camp at 1am. Unpacked, had a beer, a 1 hr nap and out the door at 5. First Item on the agenda was cam checking our hot spots. We had a good amount of cams out on sign posts as that has proven to be the way to go in the North woods in terms of camming. We were not disappointed.
The dates on one cam got messed up. The month is November, the date is 13 days late and the time is about 8 hrs delayed

Remember this buck… you’ll see him again in a little while.... A buck we named Split ear... we got him on the same post last year and also have a shed of his from 2009

The second one to visit was another Giant

Last edited:

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Then "Too Tall" we have pics of this buck from last year too...

Also got this shed out bull moose

RussellBro2

Reaction score

Next Cam had a nice 10 point... I found a shed of his from last year latter in the trip.

"See the shavings on top of the leaves Josh"
Also note Josh's poo-poo paper

Last edited:

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Next Cam had some good doe shots

Love this one...

Last edited:

RussellBro2

Reaction score
I saw three moose day 1 and partridge where everywhere. I also found a new funnel that was littered with sign. No deer sighted day 1.

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Day 2 Friday: I found a moose shed in the am.

I also found this huge sign post… never seen this before, moose rub on a brown ash.

Josh shot a couple pats that were hanging out at the truck after walk #1 for the day

Last edited:

RussellBro2

Reaction score

We sat in the PM on Friday and Josh had a spike come by that he decided to pass up.
On the walk out he spotted what could have been the same spike at last light off a skidder path. We were waiting on a good one.
Saturday am I jumped a big buck right before legal light at 50 ft while heading into hunt the funnel I found day one. Josh stillhunted all day and found this big old shed in the morning.

Last edited:

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Sunday we saw 3 deer on the roads between 9-9:30 including 2 spikes that hung around for a couple pics.

I also found this shed on an old road on Sunday.

RussellBro2

Reaction score
I sat a new stand Saturday afternoon near a bunch of sign posts and found a nice 5 point shed on the walk out in the dark.

This shed is not as old as it looks... it dropped last winter

Monday I did an all day sit with nothing moving at all

Tuesday- I went back to the sign post stand. Nothing in the am but I found this big shed that fell last winter just 70 yds from my stand.

RussellBro2

Reaction score

Nothing moving in the PM but I had a couple visitors/thieves that joined me on stand

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Josh had a great surprise for me when I got back to the rig… A beautiful coyote that he shot 2 miles back in the woods out of a tree stand around 10am.
As he walked up to her...

He left 7600 in the truck this particular morning to extend range

RussellBro2

Reaction score

The snow started falling pretty good Wednesday at 7am. Spirits were high!! … I sat a bit in the am and found another deer shed on the walk out to the truck… definitely a yard in there.

Josh and I cut a track at noon time and jumped on it double teaming as it was the only game moving. 2 hrs latter and the track wasn’t any fresher.

It was a good way to stretch the legs before the ideal tracking day that we knew we’d have on Thanksgiving.

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Thursday was, at the same time, the most exciting, rewarding, and humbling day I’ve ever had in the woods when I didn’t take a deer. We left the camp at quarter to 3 to go find a couple buck tracks to get on. We camped out near 2 big buck tracks and waited for legal. I got right after the bigger of the 2 at 6:30. This track was huge and I was awful excited to get after him. After 100yds he polished a tree and tore up a scrape right in front of it.

At 6:50 I looked north and figured he might be bedded on a bump ahead of me (turns out later I was correct).

He got into a maze of tracks where it looked like 2 bucks were chasing a doe. It was very confusing to sort out but I stuck with it and finally found him leaving the group.
I love tracking at dawn!...the horizon was hinting of a good day!

I came to his first bed down low near a beaver pond and was shocked at the size of the bed.

The bed was in the open so I figured it was made in the night. I could see where another buck came and got my buck on his feet. It looked like they may have squared off a bit then my buck started to head up a ridge.

Last edited:

RussellBro2

Reaction score
About 9 am I found where he started feeding on some ferns and some mushrooms. Then the track took a 90 degree turn and heading up the steepest part of the ridge. "He’s bedded up there” I thought and started creeping. I quickly spotted a snowed in track that was heading in a similar direction which I figured to be his from the day before. I thought If I took the old track I would come to his bedding area and that the different angle on his back track just might give me an opportunity. There was a flock of birds flying about from tree to tree making a racket and I would only move when they got loud. I was creeping real slow… 7600 at the ready. I was nearing the top and spotted an empty bed 20yds ahead of me. I was a bit upset until I saw walking tracks leaving the bed. It was only 17degrees out but the bed hadn’t frozen up yet…

With a perfect wind, I figured I’d come onto him quickly. 80 yds latter and the top of that ridge exploded with the noise of my buck crashing out of there. I was within 20 steps of this guy in his bed and never got a peek at him as he barreled down the other side of the mountain.

I gave him a Hal Blood 30 min wait and kept after him. I jumped him out of another bed 200yds latter and the race was on. I figured he was tired and thought I could push him and tire him out as a way to get close… no more 30 minute waits. I stayed on the buck and never slowed down, eating my lunch on the move. The one time I did stop was to take a picture of this rabbit you’ll see in the dead center of this frame…

OK so it was really a deer shed, and a big one with 10 scorable points on this one side…

RussellBro2

Reaction score
About noon I saw a flash at 40 yds and pulled the gun up only to have a huge cow moose step out. After sorting out the intersection of their tracks I saw he was heading to a swamp below me…Figured he was bedded again down there I slowed down. I got 10 feet!! from him in his bed but couldn’t make out any antlers as he took off out of there. At 1:40 he crossed a creek. After a quick drink and a check of the compass I found I was 2.4miles from the truck by way of crow and figured I had to give up on this guy… I bid him a fond farewell and headed out.

I took the top off a grouse with the ’06 on the wayout. It was just good to hear the gun go 'bang'. No idea how far I took him but I was exhausted and eager to get back to camp to relay the story to dad and Josh and hear of their hunts. Unforgettable day tracking that guy…just a blast.

One Tired Tracker...

Latest posts