Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Many more pics and details later - just got home and lots to do

We managed to take home one :D

My Thanksgiving Day buck - 9pt 202lbs

Last edited:

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Well we had another great trip to deer camp this year. Jeff and I arrived at 2am last Thursday morning - we figured why go to bed so after getting organized we were out the door around 4:30. We spli up and planned to meet at 11am. About two hours into my scout I found a very impressive scrape line with a definate 200lb track in it. I followed the line and within 30 minutes I was looking at my best Maine deer shed - a very heavy 5pt with a kicker off the G2. The sign conintued on my walk out to the truck.

Last edited:

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
We met at the trcuk and had lunch on the way to our next spot - where our cam had been out since October. Jeff went and pulled the cam and I went to check to see if anything was going on where I got a nice buck a couple years ago. On my way back to truck from this quck hike I played around with three small bulls. We looked through the pics and were not disappointed....three different big bucks had visited this sign post in the last month...

Friday we checked out a new spot around a big lake. I jumped up a deer but couldn't see the head. Jeff had a a chance at a coyote but couldn't get a shote off. The deer sign was not great so we moved on. Nothing doing in the pm.

Saturday we got a snow storm. We picked up a couple inches in the morning and decided to hunt a place we hunted a couple years ago. They had cute off a lot of the area and we didn't get into deer sign. In the PM I checked out a spot where Jeff got his buck last year. He tracked a small deer but never saw it. Dad saw a spike but decided to pass.

Sunday we went in and hung a couple of sets and then did some shooting.

Monday Morning I hiked the two miles into my treestand. It started snowing pretty hard and by 10am I had had enough of sitting. I got down and picked up two sets of tracks that had gone by just out of sight from my stand. I followed them for a couple of miles and they went by 3 other spots I had picked to sit. Wrong place wrong time. I ended up leaving those tracks in the thick stuff as it was nothing I really wanted and I was close to the truck for lunch. I got a change of clothes and did some still hunting in a cedar cut in the pm.

Tuesday we decided to track so we were up early driving the log roads looking for fresh tracks. The movement during the night was unreal. I got on the track of a buck with a couple of does and headed in the woods at 6:30. I should have waited until 7 as I jumped them up right away but it was too dark to see any antlers. I tracked them all morning and lost the tracks in all the other deer tracks. The buck was running one of the does pretty hard and laying down all kinds of sign along the way. I picked up some more tracks in teh pm but never caught up to any hair. It was a great way to spend a very rainy day. Beaglewear was great that day!

Wednesday was very WINDY and I sat in my treestand pretty much all day. I decided I was going to me mobile the rest of the trip.

Last edited:

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Thanksgiving Day - I talked Jeff into tracking again and we were again very pleased with the amount of deer movement during the night. The bad part was it made tracking a particular deer very difficult. I started off on a buck and doe track - I lost them about 9am and found another buck and doe track that had left the group. I was about two miles from the truck and crossed a road that looked slighty familiar. Well once I crossed the road there were tracks everywhere! I kept losing the deer I was on and finding a fresher track. I finally found a decent buck track and worked it for an hour or so when I decided I would head back to the trcuk and come back in teh pm with some warmer clothes and poke through really slow. I was still on that buck track and heading to the truck when i looked down a skid trail to my left and saw a nice buck standing there looking at me. I swung up my .308 and touched one off - He dropped on the spot but was still up so I shot again. Down he goes so I start running towards him. He tries to get up one more time so I put abnother round in his neck and he was done. I was very suprised when I got up to him as he was much bigger than I thought. Jeff came over shortly after and we got Dad on the radio and he came over as well. Took out the GPS and he was less than .10 of a mile from the road I had crossed. My first impression was he was going to be 195 or so but he actually had a lot of fat on him which helped push him over 200. Dressed out at 202lbs with a nice tall 9pt rack (two point broken off and all kinds of scars on his neck) Another Great Memory in the North Woods.

Last edited:

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Fantastic!! I see the X's and am looking forward to seeing the pictures....

kendo

Mr. Bubblers
Reaction score
:D..been waiting for this post..great job russellbro's..bring on the pics and stories please, let me get my 12 pack of winter brew be back....:D

Paul/NH

Reaction score
awesome buck!! cant wait for more pics and the story!!

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
I think your old man is checking out your 7600 in the first picture....

Davey

Reaction score
That's a beautiful buck and thanks for posting the pics.

Latest posts